Hardy Released

I guess they must feel pretty good about Pollack's progression in the first few days, because they just released Hardy. Yes, Hardy had a big cap number, but I still think this says volumes about how impressed they are with the new kid. No matter how big his cap number is, you don't release him unless you know you have a viable replacement.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardy was a good locker room guy, but his skills were deteriorating on the field. He really lost a step during the '04 season. I'm sad to see his leadership gone, but I think new guys like Pollack and Thurman will grow into good leaders as well. I like this move.

I'm in full agreement. I liked Hardy a lot too, but I think Pollack has even more leadership potential than Hardy does. And with Pollack's work ethic and energy (and youth) he will be more of presence on the field even this year, as long as he can learn the linebacker position quickly enough.

I see Braham as the same situation as Hardy. We have young guys, and don't necessarily need him. If he wants to sign a nice small contract, the Bengals will indulge him, but I wouldn't necessarily even expect him to start all season long. They are going to want to get these new kids some reps. Great older guy to have around to train the younger guys though. And we probably don't give him enough credit for Palmer's development last year, but this is the NFL, and we can't honor him with money. We need it elsewhere.

it's possible, but probably only if Hardy really wants to stay with the Bengals. Otherwise they would have just offered him a paycut. I think they know he can get payed elsewhere though, and that is why Lewis says they did it so early, to give him a chance to get a job somewhere else. I think that Lewis is confident in the guys he has though. Young? Yes - but tons of potential.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed later at a much smaller number.  With Webster's uncertainty, he could be a good backup.

I agree. I think this may be strictly a cap move. Although MLs press release makes it sound as if he is gone for good.

Also I think they had to cut him before June 1 to spread the bonus over this year and next year. So there is a chance that he may be back.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed later at a much smaller number.  With Webster's uncertainty, he could be a good backup.

I agree. I think this may be strictly a cap move. Although MLs press release makes it sound as if he is gone for good.

Also I think they had to cut him before June 1 to spread the bonus over this year and next year. So there is a chance that he may be back.

I believe that the June 1st thing works the other way around that is why I was wondering if they Needed the Cap Space Now.

But I to would not mind seeing him back at a more cap friendly price.

I have heard it said that he reads every play very well but that his body just can't keep up with his mind anymore.

It would be nice to have him here to help the new guys learn ...

Just like I would love to have Braham here to help our young Centers learn ...

That offensive line looked like night and day when Braham was in there. Having Braham to show the 2 new guys the ropes is ideal. I think that dropping Hardy means the return of Braham, and possibly Warrick.

I totally agree with you that the Braham situation is much different than Hardy's situation. I think that despite being a rookie, Pollack will be an instant upgrade over Hardy, whereas having Braham around for another year is still better than starting a rookie center.

No doubt. Braham is the man, but the price has to be right. Lewis has started saying things like if they can't sign him this week we will "move forward". Is he trying to scare Braham, or is he comfortable with our centers enough to use that money elsewhere? Who knows. I'd love to see Braham get in there, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Nothing you couldn't see coming after the draft. Sad to see his leadership go, but you have to get younger at certain positions and this was one of them. Hardy no doubt lost a step or two and I must say I'm loving our LB corps. Give them time and it's on. Braham is going no where. There is no way in hell we start a rookie center and expect the O-line, let alone the offense, to function as well without Ritchie in there. Now not only are we seeing the pre-ML guys get the boot, but the older ones he brought in as well. Progression, progression, progression !!! :)

WHODEY !!!

I realize Hardy's skills were diminshing but I still think there is a cuase of concearn on the Bengals front 7. Pollak may be a beast or he may be a bust (who knows) but the liklihood that he will make an impact as a rook isn't very high, especially given the fact that he is learning a new position. I would like to see the Benglas sign a vet b/w now and camp. Luckily, LBs aren't too tough to find.

I'll would rather put Calib Miller out there instead of Hardy... Hardy might as well have worn a jersey that said WEAKNESS get the ball to who ever i'm covering. Now rushing the passer he was decent at, but come on time and time again I can recall this guy getting beat to the sideline by a TE for another first down. Go home and spend time with your family don't make a fool out of yourself in another uniform.

Goodbye kevin, sorry to see you go, though it was inevitable. Your skills were way down and its time to upgrade. I think hed make a good coach when hes ready to hang it up. Which would be now if i were him....

I could see him and Braham as assistant coaches ...