JOSH HALDI, QB FREE AGENT

I know you're all saying, why the heck did we sign a free agent quarterback. But this guy has a legit chance to make the Bengals, maybe even replace Kitna as the No. 2 QB. I've attached a story from the Northern Illinois University website.. Read it and decide for yourself. WHO DEY !!!

April 28, 2005

Ex-Northern Illinois QB Josh Haldi Looks At 'Unique Opportunity' With NFL's Cincinnati Bengals

DeKALB, IL --- For ex-Northern Illinois University quarterback and team captain Josh Haldi, the free agent thing with the National Football League Cincinnati Bengals represents one more in a series of challenges and opportunities.

Frankly, one couldn’t blame Haldi for thinking: Been there, done that.

At the same time, as the 6-foot-2, 216-pounder heads off to mini-camp at Paul Brown Stadium this Friday through Sunday (April 29-May 1), Haldi knows the NFL tryout might be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

“I’m anxious and excited at the same time,” Haldi admitted about the situation with the Bengals. “The best aspect is that I’m still able to play football. The game has meant so much to me for many years. To be part of a team in high school and at Northern, and now, to have this unique opportunity with Cincinnati, it’s a great situation for me personally.”

To date, Haldi is one of five Huskie seniors signing standard free agent contracts with NFL teams this week. A product of Northeast Ohio, Haldi really didn’t comment on his hometown boys, the Cleveland Browns. The idea now: Focus on becoming a Bengal.

With his NIU diploma in hand and a 3.89 cumulative grade point average on a 4.00 scale, Haldi (Madison, OH) is obviously pretty sharp. So---going in---he knows the pecking order on the Cincinnati Bengals’ offensive depth chart behind incumbent quarterback Carson Palmer (263-of-432 for 2,897 yards, 18 touchdowns, and 18 interceptions in 2004), back-up Jon Kitna (61-of-104 for 623 yards, five touchdowns, and four interceptions in 2004), and Casey Bramlet.

Remember that Haldi’s career with the Huskies started slowly after replacing former teammate Chris Finlen at QB. But three years later, Haldi holds the best 1-A starting quarterback won-lost record in school history (25-8) and led head coach Joe Novak’s squad to triumphs over the University of Maryland, University of Alabama, Iowa State University in 2003, and Troy University in last December’s Silicon Valley Football Classic.

In the off-season, Haldi worked with former Chicago Bears’ quarterback Jim McMahon and refined his throwing motion, added some muscle, lowered his time in the 40-yard dash, plus got invited to the NFL Combine in February.

“You have to compete. That’s how I look at this,” Haldi said. “In my mind, I have to play smart football---and that’s what I learned at Northern. You have to make plays out there, move the ball, but at the same time, you can’t be reckless with the football. I know I have to work on my footwork. Basically, I just have to go into camp and play like I’m capable.”

A three-year Northern Illinois regular, Haldi wound up No. 2 on the school’s career passing TD list (55), No. 2 in career total offense TDs (61), No. 3 in career completions (427), No. 3 in career passing yards (6,015), No. 3 in career passing attempts (776), and No. 4 in career total offense (5,916). Career-wise, he completed 427-of-776 passes for 6,015 yards and an amazing 55-to-19 touchdown-to-interception ratio (2001-04).

Haldi led the Huskies in passing for three straight years (2,027 air yards in 2002, 2,544 yards in 2003, and 1,384 yards in only nine games in 2004). In the Silicon Valley Football Classic, ESPN named Haldi the Player of the Game for hitting 8-of-24 passes for 146 yards and rushing for two TDs. A preseason candidate for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award, Haldi finished No. 19 in National Collegiate Athletic Association Division 1-A passing efficiency rating (140.5) last season.

His six TD passes against Western Michigan University last October tied for No. 1 in NCAA single-game ratings. Haldi’s 285.33 single-game passing efficiency rating in the same WMU contest shattered a 41-year-old school record set by College Football Hall of Famer and Little All-America QB George Bork (261.3 rating vs. the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in 1963).

In the classroom, Haldi made First-Team Mid-American Conference and College Sports Information Directors of America District V All-Academic last fall. In addition, he was the recipient of the prestigious 2004 National Football Foundation-College Football Hall of Fame National Scholar-Athlete Award and a candidate for the Draddy Award.

Among the Cincinnati Bengals’ current free agents are University of Toledo defensive back Patrick Body and Troy University linebacker Cedric Sullivan.

The last Northern Illinois free agent with the Cincinnati Bengals was the late Reggie Sims, a tight end on the California Bowl III team in 1983 who was a NFL replacement player in 1987.

ok, so you say i should take off the rose colored glasses, the ones that make haldi look like the next big ben.. LOL... okay. but the view is so good. who dey !!! By the way, did you know the Bengals are gonna give David Pollack No. 99 .. that is so cool, too.. :huh:

I agree, he won't make the roster unless something happens to the top three. It's likely that he was signed simply to add another arm in camp, easing the workload on Palmer, Kitna, and a possibly worn down Bramlet. But for Haldi it's all about being seen, building relationships, and staying on the fringe.