Reds/Cubs last night...

skyline

walk the tying run to bring the go-ahead run to the plate?? no way. the worst thing that could happen is that they tie the game(which they did) but by intentionally putting the tying run on you are sitting yourself up for worse. you even pitch to bonds in that situation.

With guys at first and second, I'd agree with you.

But not at 2nd and 3rd and only 1 out. You have no force play.

Plus, take into consideration that Derek Lee was 3 for 3 with a home run already. And it's not as if he was just hot for this one game. He's been killing us the entire series, and for the entire month of April for that matter. He's been on a ridiculous tear. Burnitz...not so much.

walk the tying run to bring the go-ahead run to the plate?? no way. the worst thing that could happen is that they tie the game(which they did) but by intentionally putting the tying run on you are sitting yourself up for worse. you even pitch to bonds in that situation.

OK, let's weight this out.

Derek Lee: .430 BA, 7 HRs, 27RBIs, 1.297OPS.

Jeromy Burnitz: .272 BA, 4 HRs, 14RBIs, .838 OPS.

And regarding Bonds, I remember a game where the former Philly manager, Jim Fergosi (sp) intentionally walked with the bases already loaded bringing in a run. Next batter hit into a double play and the Phillies eventually won.

The problem I think is that Derrek Lee is one of, if not, the hottest bat in baseball right now.

If we had a shutdown right hander during the middle innings, then hell yea, attack! But we don't.

Normally I'd agree with you, but the game was too close for comfort at that point and we lost as a result.

i see what your saying and i don't dispute the fact that lee is the hottest hitter on the team. its not like burnitz is some bum either though, he was 1-3, 2-5, and 0-3 in the three games with 4rbi and a homer.

you even said it yourself we dont have a shutdown pitcher and if you are putting the tying run on you had better get him(burnitz) out-it was hardly a guaranteed out. he is hitting 4th and 5th in their line-up. :rolleyes:

and i've seen plenty of times too that the people behind bonds have made teams pay too.

those managers are going to play the percentages and that was the right thing to do-pitch to him.

I see where you're coming from, but I do not think Miley used percentages -- the lifeblood of MLB ^_^

Kent Mercker was going to be in the game no matter what. He's a lefty as is Burnitz. Career-wise, Burnitz against Mercker is 1-22 (.045BA). Setting up a possible double-play. That to me, has a much better chance of getting out of the inning with minimal damage than bringing up Derrek Lee (nomination for NL player of the month) with one out and a runner on second and third.

Before the AB, Lee had already hit a homer off Valentine earlier in the season. Plus you have to consider that Lee's 7 homeruns this season, 5 are off Reds pitchers. <_<

If it was later in the season, and Lee cooled off tremendously, then yea, I say pitch to him.

Of course a little luck never hurt either. :lol::lol:

I was wondering the same thing as well. Derek Lee has killed the Reds this season and when you have a runner on second and third with 1 out, you definitely need to be walkin' the guy. They did the same thing with Albert Pujols a few weeks back, and it paid off. I'd also like to know why Miley had rookie reliever/starter Matt Belisle in the game- he's not the guy I want to see in the game when the game is on the line.

They did the same thing with Albert Pujols a few weeks back, and it paid off.

No that's not the same thing. The go-ahead run was already on second base and they walked Larry Walker to get to Pujols. Much different situation. In both positions he is going to get second-guessed either way. If they walked Lee and Burnitz hit the homer then people would have been screaming about that.

Good move Miley-at some point Red pitching has to get an out for you. Every time Graves comes on in the ninth its an adventure. We have three pitchers that have thrown 3 games or more under a 4.00 ERA.

They did the same thing with Albert Pujols a few weeks back, and it paid off.

No that's not the same thing. The go-ahead run was already on second base and they walked Larry Walker to get to Pujols. Much different situation. In both positions he is going to get second-guessed either way. If they walked Lee and Burnitz hit the homer then people would have been screaming about that.

Good move Miley-at some point Red pitching has to get an out for you. Every time Graves comes on in the ninth its an adventure. We have three pitchers that have thrown 3 games or more under a 4.00 ERA.

Oh yeah. My bad on that one. But I still think the smart thing would have been to walk Lee because of how good of a game he was having.