Solomon Wilcots

SWATFan

Hi - I see Solomon Wilcots on the NFL Network and he cuts such an intriguing figure that I'd like to know more about him. I hardly know anything about the guy. Can y'all tell me anything you know about him - i.e. personal info, career anecdotes, etc.? Has anyone met him in real life? What is he like in real life? Is he married? Any children? Any info is appreciated! (You can even send me a personal message if you prefer.)

He does an awesome job on the NFL Network, don't ya think?

He ended up starting in 1988 when Robert Jackson "held out" and #1 draft pick Rickey Dixon held out. He had a great camp and preseason. When he went down for a play in the Pittsburgh game, the announcers said he had the best preseason of any Bengal. He was only here for 4 years, left after the 1990 season by plan B Free Agency. Paul and Mike, being old schoolers, did not believe free agency would work in football, and offered a really cheap amount of money to eligible players if they would agree to stay. Solomon was one of the guys to leave, and I'm not sure what happened to him after that, but I don't think he stayed in the league very long. We lost a lot of players that way, and if I had to rank the 10 reasons we ended up being the sports world's laughing stock, that would probably be reason #3.

Here is a scan of his bio in the 1990 Media Guide, which is the last year he was with the squad.

http://www.justdmb.com/bokon/wilcots.jpg

www.google.com

Thanks, but I've done the google thing. I was looking for info that google perhaps missed (and if a player wasn't all that famous, there's a lot that google can miss). You know how you can often find out better info by asking people on a messageboard - for example, google wasn't in the stands at Bengals games, google didn't have that 1990 media guide bio, google didn't go to school with his stepdaugther. :)

Wilcots is a former Cincinnati Bengal, Minnesota Viking and Pittsburgh Steeler defensive back, having played four seasons with thr Bengals (1987-90), one with the Vikings (1991) and finished his six-year career with the Steelers (1992).

He was drafted in 1987 as an eighth-round pick. He started two years at cornerback for Colorado, where he earned All-Big Eight honors in his senior year and was the team captain. He majored in English literature. Wilcots was born October 9th, 1964 in Los Angeles and resides in Los Angeles.

Wow - he only played six seasons (which included many games in which he didn't start), and suffered no major knee injuries - wasn't known for having "bad knees" (as far as we know)....and his knees are still in bad shape? And he's only 40?

'Tis the life of the NFL, I guess. :huh: Maybe he had some injury in high school or college.

Makes you wonder what guys like Gayle Sayers are dealing with...