Thurman

Hope this visit turns out good. Bengals need a couple bonafide inside backers.

Papers covering the Pats say Belichick personally gave Crowder a workout and they have Thurman high on their list for pick #32.

If the Bengals trade down it's looking like it's between Crowder, Thurman, and Spencer.

I like O'dell Thurman, I think one of the things that make him stand out is his lateral quickness. Someone on here said it already that he reminds you of Takeo Spikes. He makes a lot of tackles sideline to sideline, but I think he plays the pass a lot better than he's given credit for.

* He's a playmaker that's for sure, and he'll definitely create a lot of turnovers, just look at all the tipped passes that led to interceptions he had in college.

Yes, he has had injuries. But it doesn't mean he will be prone to them in the pros. If we, or someone before us don't take him the Patriots will. And that will be scarry. He will be a freak for them, instant pro bowler. Thurman is undersized, Spencer isn't very expierneced. So if we don't take them we will take a WR. If we get Sharper, forget bout Crowder. But I still think we will take him, or David Pollack. Pat Kirwan made a good comparrison to Pollack to Patrick Kerney. Big Sack, Run Stopping monster.

On the original theme for this string -- I'd love to have O'Dell Thurman. He is quick and makes plays all over the field. High energy guy -- sometime, too high. But, I like his attitude and aggressiveness.

As for Pollack -- he is my favorite for the Bengals in the first round.

An ideal draft for me is still two of the three Georgia players (Pollack, Thomas and Thurman).

I'm beginning to worry that Thurman is moving up so rapidly that he will NOT be available at 48th pick.

Side note -- I believe that both Thurman and Pollack ran fantastic 3.90 sec shuttles. That is very quick.

Yes that is quick, had a bad 40 time, but that doesn't effect how he plays the game, which is what I try to tell people, but they think you have to run a 4.2 40 to even be considered to be drafted. 40 times are stupid, besdies they shouldnt effect the player because when they play with all that equipment on they are weighed down. They don't work out with the equipment on, so the 40 is stupid. Pollack, Crowder, Thurman are all good crazy football players. They know how to play the game and I think they should be judged on that alone.

What about shuttle times? Do they mean anything?

The short and long shuttles, along with the three cone drills are to show a players

"short area quickness, and change of direction skills".

When you're looking at a cornerback who plays a position that requires him to have great turning and fluid hip motion , they'll usually average a time of 4.10 and under, but when you're talking about a "defensive lineman" who's 6'2 and 265 running 3.90, means you have a guy that will dominate most one on one battles.

* But the problem with Pollack is where to put him, You figure with that poor forty time, you don't want him playing in space, so making him an end makes the most sense, but with him being undersized, you'd like for him to play on an edge away from coverage responsibilities like a weakside linebacker.

- I like Pollack, but Justin Smith has gotten only so far with his athleticism and short arms, ( Hell i'm 5'10 and my 7-ft. wingspan is longer than his 33 inch arms.) It makes me kinda leery to take another guy built like him. But as to the Travis Johnson debate, looks like Marcus Spears may make the move inside to DT afterall. His workouts the other day were good, but because he was still healing from arthroscopic knee surgery, his '40 times were 5.10 .Spears Pass rush skills may keep him an end in a 3-4, but he'll probably end up playing DT now for anyone else.