Arrington rejects WASH offer

kingwilly

I don't really think so. Arrington is a bit of a showboater and he really rubbed Coach Lewis the wrong way in Washington. I don't think Lewis would even have him visit. Besides, it's corners and linemen we need, not LB's.

Arrington is a bit of a showboater and he really rubbed Coach Lewis the wrong way in Washington.

Yea, didn't they have a lot of problems with words during press conferences? He's too maintenance. Although he's a great athelete, Arrington has pretty much been a disappointment in my eyes. If anyone saw him play at PSU he was awesome and I thought he was the next great linebacker. Hardly true to form.

I do think if we have the funds and ability to grab a free agent linebacker we should consider it. Ross isn't doing much for us right now. In fact Rogers Beckett, Tory James, Mark Roman, and Kevin Kaesviharn have more tackles than Ross. Not very encouaging when four guys in the secondary have more stops than the outside linebacker. Also, I've seen Ross go around blockers instead of reading the play quickly enough and missed tackles; possible contribution to the Bengals horrible Rush D.

I can understand that Beckett and Roman would have more stops, and even though Ross is the weak outside backer, he still should have more stops than KK and James.

Didn't know the history there. I agree about the CB/Line needs.

I mentioned elsewhere the UFA CB's available. The raised the cap to $79mm so we should have room to work, especially with some guys being gone.

Ross always seems to be just off the play, like the first guy there once they are on the ground. Maybe they can coach him into better position and technique?

Maybe, but I'm not a big Ross fan (as you may have noticed). Your analysis is almost dead on though about him, he's never around when the play is in his neighborhood, and if he is, he's locked up with a big ugly.

I wonder if this is a coaching deficiency with Ricky Hunley or even Leslie Frazier.

I'm going to admit, that our linebackers (even though the numbers look good) are playing below expectations. They haven't made that one stop to end a drive in a thriller or that hit that makes you want to say, "He got, JACKED UP!" (shameless ESPN reference). Brian Urlacher has more tackles than both Hardy and Simmons, and other than dating Paris Hilton, how many times have you heard his name? Or Michael Burrow whose leading the NFC in tackles.

We have the numbers to support stability in the LB, but I think we need to refresh what we have. I'm also starting to get tired of Simmons. He came in 1998(?) and hasn't really blown me away like EVERYONE has told me he would. I know that this is his first season at his "natural" position, but I thought we'd get more of an investiment than this. Any thoughts?

Simmons can be a great starting linebacker. Hardy is solid. Ross works hard, but just isn't that great.

I'll take any two of these guys if we can get one LB who is flat-out dominant. I like each of our three guys, we're just missing a guy who wills himself to make the impossible play.

Arrington is a fantastic physical player. Marvin didn't like him b/c he tried to make the plays all by himself instead of playing within the scheme and sticking to his gap assignment. Our linebackers play within the D scheme very disciplined, which I'll take for 95% of the game. You need a guy who knows the right times to release from his gap and make the necessary play. None of the LBs have that instinct. But I'd rather have a guy play in the system than a guy like Arrington. You never know where he'll be.

JBrooks - Everything you said about Arrington is very true.

Simmons can be a great starting linebacker.

Not to slam you or anything, but I've heard this for nearly five years. Again, I'm still waiting for that to happen. Do I think he can? I did, but while our team is improving, now is the time for him to show on those expectations. If he isn't the player that everyone expects him to be after next season then I say we should look at alternatives. I also think that Marvin is getting frustrated with him because he's had to motivate him a few times this season -- after all can you blame Simmons? Maybe the expectations for him are too high, maybe he's just a good backer and not a potential great one.

Ross - Good bye.

Hardy is solid.

Very true, but I'd like to see him cut down on the missed tackles.

I'd say a lot of the linebackers problems is the D-line...If the DT's up front could occupy some of the blockers then you might see the tackle levels of the lb's go up. If you look at the top LB's in the league, the've got some beef in front of them...It's just like running backs on offense...

Yeah, Simmons seams to always leave a little something on the table...The potential is there, just doesn't seem to have the drive to be great...Maybe he should have a talk with Chad about doing all you can to be great...

You guys all make good points. As to Arrington, the deal he turned down was 7 years 15 million, and a bonus of either 13 or 15 mil. Cincinnati is not going to make as big an offer as the one he has already rejected, so whether he could or couldn't get along here is beside the point.

I've been a big Simmons fan and defender all year. I still am, but I'd like to see a little more on which to base my faith. Linebackers started out slow. They have improved over the course of the season, but they've still got a ways to go. I'm still willing to give them some time. New systems always take a while to implement, and that could be what we are seeing here. Remember that in trainig camp, coach Lewis said the the guys hadn't had their roles explained to them and so they weren't sure of what it was they were even supposed to be doing a lot of the time. I know they should be by now, but Lewis has also said that they try to slip back to the old ways and have to be coached out of them again. It's a process.

Ross is another story, and I won't be shocked if he's not on the team next year. I also think his replacement could already be on the team. Anybody care to guess who I mean ?? hint - he's fast and always around the ball. In Lewis speak, "he's making the most of his opportunity".

You guys all make good points. As to Arrington, the deal he turned down was 7 years 15 million, and a bonus of either 13 or 15 mil. Cincinnati is not going to make as big an offer as the one he has already rejected, so whether he could or couldn't get along here is beside the point.

I've been a big Simmons fan and defender all year. I still am, but I'd like to see a little more on which to base my faith. Linebackers started out slow. They have improved over the course of the season, but they've still got a ways to go. I'm still willing to give them some time. New systems always take a while to implement, and that could be what we are seeing here. Remember that in trainig camp, coach Lewis said the the guys hadn't had their roles explained to them and so they weren't sure of what it was they were even supposed to be doing a lot of the time. I know they should be by now, but Lewis has also said that they try to slip back to the old ways and have to be coached out of them again. It's a process.

Ross is another story, and I won't be shocked if he's not on the team next year. I also think his replacement could already be on the team. Anybody care to guess who I mean ?? hint - he's fast and always around the ball. In Lewis speak, "he's making the most of his opportunity".

I'm sorry. That deal was 7 years 50 mil .......... not 15.

I remember watching him in pre-season and said to myself, boy I hope he starts this season.  Regarding LaVar's contract, that seems a little lengthy, I wonder if he refused it because of length.

Arrington - Article I read didn't make mention of the reason he wouldn't accept the deal. Focused more on the fact that it put the Redskins in a bind because they wanted to tie Arrington up with a long term deal so they could tag Bailey as the franchise player.

Of course since neither of them would sign, it leaves Washington in a quandry. For spending so much money, they really don't seem to have done very well. They also always seem to have trouble re signing their guys. You'd think the combination of money they spend and the number of people they sign that they'd be better at negotiating than that.

Abdullah - It's only a matter of time till we get to see him playing defense all the time as opposed to special teams. He'll get press when he does, cause nobody outside of Cincinnati knows who he is. Not bad for a 5th rounder huh! It's amazing what you can do when you get a scouting department that really scouts.

Baseball reference - Remember Marge Schotts comment about scouts? She thought they were worthless cause " all they do is sit around and watch games " . :rolleyes:

Abdullah - It's only a matter of time till we get to see him playing defense all the time as opposed to special teams. He'll get press when he does, cause nobody outside of Cincinnati knows who he is. Not bad for a 5th rounder huh! It's amazing what you can do when you get a scouting department that really scouts.

You just have to love the fact the Bengals are doing things like a real football team....Makes you just kinda wonder what could have been all those years ago if Mike hadn't went with Shula............. :angry:

Nothing to do about it now though except win out :D

but hey, you guys are forgeting the other redskin that rejected an offer, CHAMP BAILY now that would be nice

I just don't see the Bengals getting him. Too much money, and I can see him getting tagged as well....I just don't see Coach Lewis going after the biggest names in free agency...But I think we're all forget that the Bengals did draft a Corner this year that was rated as a first round pick but slid to them in the fourth....Now if he can just get on the damn field...Surely he has got to be a better option than Hawkins.