Are Big 10 RBs busts in NFL?

jjakq27

I got this off of Lance McAlister's blog page. He did a good job of putting some stats together on the performance of Big 10 backs in the NFL. It looks like Eddie George is the only one worth mentioning. Let's hope Chris Perry doesn't end up at the bottom of the list with the other guys he mentions.

http://www.lance1360homer.com/blog.asp

"Blast from the past Stat of the Day

I've had numerous emails about Chris Perry and Big 10 RB's. Here are some of the results of a study I did on Big 10 backs taken in the draft over the last 10 years.....since '94 draft (Not including last years draft) PS Robert Smith is NOT ONE. His rookie season was 1993.

RB's drafted over last 10 years by conference:

Big 10: 47

SEC: 45

Big 12: 34

Pac 10: 27

Big East: 21

ACC: 19

Drafted RB's with 1,000 seasons in the NFL

SEC 13 of 45 backs....29%

Big 10: 5 of 47....11%

Drafted Big 10 RB's with 1,000 seasons in the NFL

Tyrone Wheatley (1), Raymont Harris (1), Eddie George(7), Michael Bennett (1), Anthony Thomas (1)

Drafted RB's with multiple 1,000 seasons in the NFL by conference

SEC: 11 different RB's have had more than one 1,000 season in the NFL

ACC: 3

Big East: 3

Big 12: 1

Pac 10: 1

Big 10: 1 (Eddie George)

Of 47 Big 10 RB's drafted over the last 10 years:

13 of 47 had/have +1,000 yards for their ENTIRE career

21 of 47 had/have LESS than 500 yards for their ENTIRE career

Big 10 Busts: Ron Dayne, KiJana Carter, Terrell Fletcher, Sedric Shaw, Tim Biakabutuka, Curtis Enis, Robert Holcombe, Cedric Irvin "

I don't understand how you can call Holcombe a bust. I remember him when he played at Illinois, but I don't remember him being a star or any high expectations that anyone had for him. I think that he has had a decent career, if only as a blocking back. But I might be wrong, as I tend to be once in every millennia.

BN1281

I think they would have to be, Baer...I can't think of any other Pac 10 or Big 12 backs that have had alot of success in the NFL in the last ten years. And I'm from Big 12 country, and the fact that I can't think of any really successful Big 12 backs makes me a sad panda.

BN1281

Ahman Green - Nebraska ( Big 12 )

Ladanian Tomlinson - TCU Mountain West

Corey Dillon - Washington ( Pact 10 )

Rudi Johnson - Auburn ( SEC )

Shaun Alexander - Alabama ( SEC )

Fred Taylor - Florida (SEC)

Stephen Davis - Auburn (SEC)

Marshall Faulk - San Diego State ( WAC )

Chris Brown - Colorado (Big 12)

* Facts don't lie - Big 10 running backs suck !!

P.S. Steven Jackson - Oregon State ( Pac 10 ) :angry:

Well thanks for making me look like a tool, Guru...I totally forgot about Ahman Green :angry:

Let's see...Steven Jackson was taken at #24, and somebody traded down from that spot to take Chris Perry...who was that?

Oh, wait, that was us :huh::huh::angry::angry:

BN1281

Well thanks for making me look like a tool, Guru...I totally forgot about Ahman Green :angry:

Let's see...Steven Jackson was taken at #24, and somebody traded down from that spot to take Chris Perry...who was that?

Oh, wait, that was us :huh::huh::angry::angry:

BN1281

I didn't post that stuff to make feel like a tool, :lol:

* I only showed this stuff to emphasize the suffering from Chris Perrys Selection last year.

In my perfect little dream world, We would have drafted Steven Jackson last year at # 24, or traded him to get both of Detroits 2nd rounders.

* Either way, if he was a Bengal last year, Rudi could have still had his great season, and Jackson could have showed he was the Back of the future, meaning Rudi would bring in lots of draft picks for us this year.

Steven Jackson could have stepped in and made a decent impact in 2004, but we also took Perry four picks before the Lions took Kevin Jones.

So we could have had two rookie running backs who have shown that they have star potential and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield instead of Perry. :angry:

In my prefect little dream world, I wouldn't have wanted to throw my buddy's TV out the window on Draft Day 2004.

BN1281

Ahman Green - Nebraska ( Big 12 )

Ladanian Tomlinson - TCU Mountain West

Corey Dillon - Washington ( Pact 10 )

Rudi Johnson - Auburn ( SEC )

Shaun Alexander - Alabama ( SEC )

Fred Taylor - Florida (SEC)

Stephen Davis - Auburn (SEC)

Marshall Faulk - San Diego State ( WAC )

Chris Brown - Colorado (Big 12)

* Facts don't lie - Big 10 running backs suck !!

True dat! Let's hope Perry starts a new trend but I don't see it.