Josh Bullocks

BersMrnsT

Per ESPN:

He is a chiseled 5-11, 207-pounder with great speed and tackling ability.  His nose for the football will be a selling point for most NFL teams.

If the D scheme truly won't work without interchangeable safeties, then this guy is my pick, with Jamaal Brimmer being my second choice. If they'll settle on a true SS, then I say Ernest Shazor. Thoughts....

Bullocks is a stud. Being in Big 12 country, I got a chance to watch him a couple of times and read about his accomplishments in the paper, and he is the real deal. I think that getting him would be a great idea, if they decide not to go with a SS in the first (or possibly second, if Shazor isn't available).

BN1281

Bullocks would help himself with a fast 40 and a decent vertical at the combine. Always good for DBs.

Where did you hear this?

I always thought that short, slow DBs was the way to go...or is that just the Cleveland Browns' formula? B)

I certainly don't think that Bullocks is the best out there, but he wouldn't be bad as a 3rd or 4th round pick, if we don't get a SS in the first and Brimmer isn't available.

BN1281

I've had the pleasure of watching Bullocks play a lot the past few years. I saw him play every Husker home game last season. The man is a ball hawk. His interceptions he had two years ago when he was one of the nation's leaders might be a little inflated but impressive nonetheless. A lot of his interceptions his sophomore season was due to Pelini's defensive scheme. They played a lot of cover 2 that put him in favorable situations to get those picks. That and opponents had a tough time running on the Cornhuskers that year. He's not super physical. I don't remember him laying any big hits on anybody. His twin brother, Daniel, who plays the other safety spot is more of a bruiser than he is. Daniel actually had more interceptions than Josh did last season. I would agree that if he's still there in the 4th or maybe 3rd round that he would be a good pick.

Bullocks would help himself with a fast 40 and a decent vertical at the combine. Always good for DBs.

Where did you hear this?

I always thought that short, slow DBs was the way to go...or is that just the Cleveland Browns' formula? B)

Hear, hell, I seent it wit my own 2 eyes :lol:

With respect to speed and leap and a Bengals pick at S, it's even more important with interchangeable FS/SS to have a player who can make up ground fast and play the ball high ala James Butler in coverage -- hence the 40 times and vertical. 40's ain't the end all but in the case of safeties, especially FS, those times are pretty damn good indicators of how much ground the player can cover once the decision of who to take is made.

But the primary issue w/ drafting a safety is adding to run defense w/o sacrificing coverage skills. That'll be a tricky mix but vs. RBs like Jam, Staley, etc, that 1st stab at the line better be a tackle considering the size of the holes that opened all time after time between the DTs.

I'd rather see the Bengals use the pick for S up front on the D-line or at WR or RB and use Landon as the 8th in the box SS in run situations.

I've had the pleasure of watching Bullocks play a lot the past few years. I saw him play every Husker home game last season. The man is a ball hawk.

Much obliged for the insight on Bullocks.

I would say that unless a S is super physical enough to knock hats w/ Jamal Lewis at the LOS, then pass. But it'll be hard to get a S that physical who can still pass cover well.

If Thomas Davis can, the Bengals might have to trade up to get him...but maybe he's still there at 17.

If it's Shazor, then they should be able to trade down in the 1st and maybe even out of the 1st to get him....but within the top 10 picks in the 2nd.

If it's James Butler or OJ Atogwe, then it's proly the 2nd rd pick.

Brimmer may be too slow in deep coverage. Andre Maddox may be too much of an over-reactor and be burnt prone, unlike Sean Considine who may not be as vicious.

I don't doubt that ML has the handle on the S position and if he goes that route again, most likely he picks a player he see has Madieu abilities.

I know you guys are crazy about Shazor, Davis, Butler etc.. but keep an eye out for Oshiomogho Atogwe from Stanford. He's gonna rise up draft boards and has easily been one of the more consistent players in the country at the safety position. He's another Madieu, has very good speed, good size, and has started and excelled at both Safety positions in the pass happy Pac-10.

* Also Don't forget about the possibility of us taking another Michigan player in Marlin Jackson. Right now he's all over the board from mid to late first to mid second. If he does fall to # 48, Marvin and Co. are gonna have a real hard time passing on a guy that could have been the first Cornerback taken last year, and spent a season playing Free Safety for the Wolverines.

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2005/showplay...?key=Oshiomogho Atogwe

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2005/showplayer.php?key=Marlin Jackson