David Pollack

I haven't heard Pollack mentioned much for the Bengals in the 1st, so I was wondering what your thoughts were about him and if you would be upset or overjoyed if we took him.

I wouldn't mind it, but at this point I want Shazor, so I just wondered what the rest of you think.

BN1281

BB, I usually just go around on the net and look for pics. I don't have one site that I use for the pics...I just go to Google, type in whose pics I want, and surf around until I find a good one.

I know, she's the best, huh? That pic is one of the best that I've found on the net so far, at least of the ones that I could use here.

But back to David Pollack...

BN1281

17th overall is way to early to take Shazor, you could probably get him with your second round pick. I like Thomas Davis or Eramus James at 17. One guy that seems intriguing is Channing Crowder, but he seems like a high risk/high reward type of guy... could be a pro bowler in a couple years or out of the league.

Her name is Alicia Witt...she's been in a few movies and a TV show or two, but nothing huge. I think she was on "The Sopranos" for a little while, but I never watched it, so I'm going off of what I have heard.

She's very possibly the most beautiful actress in Hollywood.

But back to David Pollack...I got to watch a few Georgia games on CBS this year, and I was highly impressed by his abilities and his drive. He was going full-tilt all game, and you could see his enthusiasm rub off on his teammates. Yes, he might be a little undersized, but maybe he could pack on some weight before August and be ready for 2005 (or maybe he could call Barry Bonds and pack on some weight by May...and not the good kind of weight :o )

BN1281

17th overall is way to early to take Shazor, you could probably get him with your second round pick. I like Thomas Davis or Eramus James at 17. One guy that seems intriguing is Channing Crowder, but he seems like a high risk/high reward type of guy... could be a pro bowler in a couple years or out of the league.

I would just like to get him at some point...if we don't trade down from 17 I want Erasmus James, since that would be a bit early to be looking at Shazor. If we trade down, Shazor in the late-first.

A lot of people are big on Crowder, but he seems to be too big a gamble for my taste, especially in the first.

BN1281

I seem to remember her starring in a nbot so popular horror movie. Shazor would be a bit of a gamble that early but if marvin trades down like I think he wants to don't be suprised, I love the guy myself (just a man crush nothing more) :P I really like Erasmus, in my eyes he's the best one out there. Not quite as big and athletic as Spears, and not quite the motor of pollack, but the better of both! Davis will probably be gone and I don't think he fits Marvin's mold for a safety, but I like him and he can hit like old school Ronnie Lott!

No one in football will question Pollack's intensity, but I just can't see him getting around a big guy like our own OT Big Willie.

I like david pollack but not as a 3-4 end. with his small size we'd get ran all over which wouldnt help our already biggest weakness

Im one of those guys that like channing crowder. the only things wrong with him are inexpieriece and durability. i think he is too good to pass up. i would like to see what marvin could do with this talent.

I'd love to see us get Pollack!!

All the negatives are about his size B**LS**T -- Just watch him play and see how well he consistently get off blocks and make tackles. He makes plays!! Tackles for loss on running backs and sacks on the QB. [i believe all the experts said that Terrel Suggs was too small too.]

He has weighted as much as 290 -- but I think that is too heavy for him to be productive-- and production is his strength.

Polloack will make plays!

I'd rather have Pollack than Spears who, with all his 300+lbs, stands around and watches the plays.

If the Bengals play the 3-4, Pollack can play a OLB.

Having said this, I must be the only person around who believes in this guy. Mel "the hair" Kiper has dropped Pollack out of his top 25.

I'd wouldn't mind seeing Pollack in the stripes either.

But he's in the same boat as Demarcus Ware and to a lesser extent Shawne Merriman. These guys wind up playing DE in college because they're the best availables on the team at the position then find themselves labeled DE/LB tweeners at the next level.

Of these 3 Merriman seems best suited to play LB in NFL. But I think you'll see out of the combine that Ware is the fastest tweener and Pollack is in the top 5. The transition to LB though still remains largely sight unseen until they get the chance at it and IMO it hurts their draft status some.

If it's a DE/SSLB tweener the Bengals are after, I say wait until Day 2 and get Trent Cole if he's still there. Otherwise, go for a DT/DE tweener like Spears or Jonathan Babineaux or Shaun Cody.

agree about the spine thing

I just feel like Pollack would be a reach at 17. If we trade down, I wouldn't at all mind picking him. If we stay at 17, I'd rather see a WR, Crowder (even though I'm not completely sold on him), or Erasmus James. But hey, I wasn't a fan of some of the picks last year, and man do I feel like a horse's ass now.

i think pollack would be a better LB than DE especially if we run a 3-4 with bresenhan. hopefully if he lands in stripes he'll be a terrel suggs impact player. i just dont see him as much of an impact on the line.

The Bengals are not going to take Pollack in the first round. He's a terror as far as rushing the passer Ill give him that.. He will not be a force against the run ..

Marcus Spears makes about 3 plays a game and the rest of the time he's watching plays go down.. dont like his motor at all..

Demarcus Ware is interesting.. Light in the ass but a playmaker..second rounder imo and will go before the Bengals have a shot at him.

Dan Cody relies too much on strength and not enough technique..I think he'll be a project for awhile in the NFL.

The Bengals need two things to upgrade this team and the most pressing need is a run stuffer.....

They will take Antaaj Hawthorne at DT with their first pick..As far as pass rushers go we have a good one in Jumpy Junior at DE. If they decide to forgo Hawthorne in the first round look for them to take Travis Johnson or possibly Thomas Davis.

Second round HAS to be SS or Center no doubt about it..

I think the steal of the draft will be either Vincent Jackson WR or Mark Clayton WR

both of these wideouts will make an impact immediately imo.

David Pollack is a standout DE. He constantly makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. Very quick moves as a pass rusher, decent bull rush, quick off the snap, and plays with good leverage against the run.

He's a win win player. He'll make plays two ways. Either by beating his man and causing a play or forcing the offense into another defender. He's a good " team " player. and he'll make a name for himself because of his demeanor.

I still like Spears though because of his versatility, size, and quickness. Pollack looks like a Linebacker,( although he's listed at 6'3 280.) Spears looks like Reggie White. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he's very strong, quick and has numerous pass rush moves. He probably isn't going to get you 12 sacks a year, but he'll make the defense better because he's so difficult to run against.He plays under control and is athletic enough to be moved around to force matchup problems.

We're a better defense with either of the three " REAL " defensive ends.

1. Marcus Spears

2. David Pollack

3. Shaun Cody

I think the steal of the draft will be either Vincent Jackson WR or Mark Clayton WR

both of these wideouts will make an impact immediately imo.

I think Troy Williamson will be better than both. I would like to see the Bengals trade down to 21 and pick him up, he reminds me a lot of Chad Johnson.

Pollack looks like a Linebacker,( although he's listed at 6'3 280.)

I don't think he's that big anymore. Pollack had a turf toe injury two years ago that kept him from running normal amounts, and his weight jumped as a result. That may be why you found a listing for him at that size. Regardless, he went on a health food kick and dropped his weight down into the 260's. I usually see it listed at 267.

He's a great player, but he's supposed to be a very strange sorta guy. ESPN Magazine did an article on him in their college preview issie this season that was hilarious. They described him as being hyper to the point of irritation. Among the highlites I remember...

He carries a gallon jug of water with him everywhere he goes, keeps another in his car, still another one at his parents house, and yet another one in his girlfriends fridge. Drinks water constantly to keep his weight down and was said to pee more than any living human being. Averages a wizz every half hour or so.

Works out as much as three times a day and can squat over 700 pounds.

Still a virgin. No booze or drugs. A soldier for Christ.

None of his teammates liked him until he proved he could play at a high level. No kidding, his personality is said to be really intense and annoying and very hard to deal with...until you realize it's worth dealing with. Example: He had a coach describe him as being one of those guys who is never quite happy with the way the radio is tuned to a station.

I wish I could remember more.

Sounds great :D A psychosis in motion. Sign him up!

Be it demonic possession or some holy ghost flu, Pollack takes care of biz on the field. He looks closer to 250 than 270 to me but it may just be because of how fast he moves. If his old teammates are irritated by him then Jumpy Jr. might be cussing himself about now. :lol:

Parcell will proly take a long look at him at #20 if ML passes. Pollack would definitely fill a role w/ Bengals in 2005 and after Big Duane is gone but having both him and Geathers in the same position might not be the best use of #17.

Still, Benglas need 4 players who can chore DE and a speed upgrade for pass rush out of one of them.

If his old teammates are irritated by him then Jumpy Jr. might be cussing himself about now. :lol:

That jogged my memory.

One of the stories in the article dealt with what Pollack was like when he was a freshman. During non-contact drills his teammates didn't like the fact that Pollack would continue running 20 yards after each play. He hadn't played a down yet and wasn't considered a top prospect so they felt he was just being a hotdog looking for cheap attention from the coaches. So they confronted him. Pollack listened politely...and then added another 5 yards to each of his runs. Nobody was amused until a year later when he got a chance to play. If my memory is good in his debut he whipped Travelle Wharton all day long, producing a couple of sacks and getting more than a dozen tackles. From that day Pollack's personality apparently morphed from being a spastic pest to that of a lovable eccentric.

Oh yeah, another story was told by his mom about when he was a toddler. She claimed that when he was a baby she could put Davids brother in the middle of a room...take a long car trip...and return to find him in exactly the same spot. A very calm kid, right? Then she described baby David as being so active that she was forced to lock him in the bathroom with her when she did her makeup. The funny part was she claimed that after locking him in...she also had to tape the toilet lid down.

From that day Pollack's personality apparently morphed from being a spastic pest to that of a lovable eccentric.

That explains in part why Pollack got back-to-back Ted Hendricks Awards for best DE in college in 2003 and 2004. Got to be wired different to get the blessing of The Stork :lol:

The Bengals could do worse than drafting Pollack. Anyone who can energize the D-line w/ effort and ability to back it up would be a definite boost. Geathers, though, looked pretty damn good when he was in and seems to have a real knack for disrupting plays.

Still, Big Duane is facing his last year and he lacks speed at end vs. run. It'd be best to have four DEs (minus Carl Powell please) but Hardy could be situational if he don't get the ax. Pollack wouldn't be my first choice at #17 but he'd fit a bill for sure.

I would love to see Pollack a Bengal, in my opinion (from what i've seen from him at Georgia) he could be the best DE in this draft, he plays with a non-stop motor, great intensity and would only be a good influence in the locker room. Not that this is necessarily a good thing but Polack has great speed and could chase down runners if he needed to. He's a great tackler with size (6'3 276) being his only minor flaw, and hes really not THAT small. If Travis Johnson is not available I think we should seriously consider taking David Pollack. Then get Ernest Shazor in the second ( if he's gone Jamal Brimmer is a possibility, great hitter). And in the third we would take Jason Brown. Although this is a bit unlikely this would make we one happy Bengals fan.