McNabb v Brady

jjakq27

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0367/1067/SPT02

McNabb dominated in 1998 college game against Brady

By Martin Frank

The (Wilmington, Del.) News Journal

PHILADELPHIA - It was just one game in a college career. But for Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady, it seemed like that 1998 game between Syracuse and Michigan portrayed two quarterbacks headed in opposite directions.

McNabb's reputation was built that day, when he took Syracuse into Ann Arbor, Mich., and in front of 111,000 fans led the Orange to an easy 38-28 win.

It was easy to see McNabb leading an NFL team to the Super Bowl that day. At least, it was to Eagles coach Andy Reid, who said that game is what persuaded him to make McNabb the franchise quarterback.

"The one game that sticks out in my mind was his senior year against Michigan," Reid said in 2000. "They had some injuries and he took his team single-handedly and put them on his back and said, 'Hey, we're going to compete against that team.' "

The same future could not have been predicted for Brady. It was Michigan's home opener after the Wolverines had won the national championship the season before, and Brady was making his second collegiate start - he lost his first to Notre Dame.

By the time the game was over, Michigan was 0-2 and the calls for freshman phenom Drew Henson were deafening.

McNabb and Brady will meet on the field again Sunday in the Super Bowl. It is believed to be the first time that the starting quarterbacks in the Super Bowl played against each other in college.

"If you were picking an NFL quarterback from that game, you would clearly go with McNabb," said Stan Parrish, who was Michigan's quarterbacks coach at the time. "I don't blame Andy Reid for being sold on him. That was a very, very wise decision."

McNabb picked apart Michigan's defense, completing 21 of 27 passes for 233 yards and three touchdowns. He ran for 60 yards and a touchdown.

Brady, on the other hand, had a day to forget. He was 13-for-24 for 104 yards with a touchdown pass and an interception. He was replaced midway through the fourth quarter by Henson, after Michigan fell behind 38-7.

After the game, Brady was asked about his status.

He responded in words that have proved to be prophetic: "I'll bounce back. I've got a lot of pride at stake. Don't worry about me."

Perhaps we should take a look at their most recent matchup :) :

Eagles fall again at home

PHILADELPHIA (Sept. 14, 2003) -- The New England Patriots pressured, harassed and rattled Donovan McNabb, and never let up.

Tom Brady passed for 255 yards and three touchdowns and the Patriots' defense forced six turnovers and had seven sacks in a 31-10 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles.

Embarrassed in a 31-0 loss to Buffalo in their season opener, the Patriots (1-1) scored two first-half touchdowns off turnovers and kept the Eagles winless at the new Lincoln Financial Field.

"We played better. We executed better. We scored in the red area and we played better defense in the red area," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "It's not that complicated."

The two-time NFC East champion Eagles, coming off a 17-0 loss to Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay on Monday night, are 0-2 for the first time since losing their first four games in 1999, Andy Reid's first year as coach.

After losing consecutive NFC title games, Philadelphia wouldn't settle for less than a trip to the Super Bowl this season. The Eagles will have to get to .500 first, and they'll have two weeks to think about their disastrous start with a bye next week.

"We have to go back and analyze ourselves and I have to start with me," Reid said. "We have to get this thing turned around."

In his worst game since his rookie season, McNabb completed just 18 of 46 passes for 186 yards, threw two interceptions -- one returned for a TD -- lost two fumbles, and heard loud boos for the first time since the day he was drafted. Eagles fans who attended the 1999 draft in New York wanted running back Ricky Williams and booed McNabb's selection with the No. 2 overall pick.

"I'm way better than what I've been doing," McNabb said. "I have to go out and make the plays. I'm not confused. Consistency is something I don't have."

Christian Fauria caught two TD passes, Willie McGinest had two sacks and one fumble recovery and Tedy Bruschi returned an interception 18 yards for a TD for New England.

Willie McGinest and the Patriots sacked Donovan McNabb seven times.

The Patriots' loss to the Bills capped an emotional week in which safety Lawyer Milloy, a team leader, was cut for salary cap reasons, then signed with Buffalo in time to play against his former teammates.

"Because we lost, there was the whole Lawyer issue," Patriots wide receiver David Patten said. "We know we have a good team, we prepare well and we have great coaches."

David Akers kicked a career-long 57-yard field goal for the Eagles, outscored 75-20 in their last three games, including a 27-10 loss to the Buccaneers in the NFC championship game last January.

The Eagles led 7-3 on Duce Staley's 2-yard TD run a minute into the second quarter. But the Patriots scored the next 21 points.

New England botched a 40-yard field-goal attempt when Lonie Paxton's snap sailed over holder Ken Walter's head. But on the next play, McNabb fumbled as he pump-faked, and Roman Phifer recovered at the Eagles 35.

A 27-yard screen pass to Kevin Faulk put the ball inside Philadelphia's 10. Brady connected with Fauria on an 8-yard pass for a 10-7 lead.

The Patriots went three-and-out on their next possession, but Brian Westbrook dropped the punt and Bethel Johnson recovered at Philadelphia's 14. Brady hit Fauria over the middle for a 5-yard TD pass, giving the Patriots a 17-7 lead.

Brady connected with Deion Branch on a 26-yard TD pass for a 24-7 lead midway through the third quarter. Bruschi stepped in front of McNabb's pass, and ran it in to ice it.

Brady completed 30 of 44 passes, taking advantage of a secondary missing All-Pro safety Brian Dawkins and Pro Bowl cornerback Bobby Taylor. He was 14-of-28 for 123 yards, four interceptions and no touchdowns against the Bills.

"Brian Dawkins is the best in the league, but they still have a solid team," Brady said.

That was just a weak attempt by JJakq27 to try and rile up the Patriot fans with a game that happened in the 90's LOL before they were even pro's.

Yeh..the more recent game puts everything in a nutshell. Brady>Mcnabb which= Pats>Eagles

rofl you're delusional dude.

i thought the article was interesting since i never knew they matched up in college before. lighten up man.

That was just a weak attempt by JJakq27 to try and rile up the Patriot fans with a game that happened in the 90's LOL before they were even pro's.

Yeh..the more recent game puts everything in a nutshell. Brady>Mcnabb which= Pats>Eagles

No, it was actually an attempt by jjakq27 to share an article that he found interesting with the rest of the intelligent people around here. It was an article that, as it states, might be the first time two Super Bowl QBs played each other in college. It actually had nothing to do with dissing Brady or the Patriots or you or your family or your ethnic heritage or the Boston area or anything else.......Too bad you didn't read down that far.

I guess you had to jump to confusions here, but I would expect no less from you. :wacko:

The only "recent" game that matters is next Sunday. This one is starting to remind me of the Packers v. Broncos game in 1998. I am sensing a little too much confidence on the part of the Pats. Using your analogy, the '02 and '04 Super Bowls must be ancient history too.

Just remember the word "dynasty" is made up of two words. Die and nasty. Now I am trying to rile you up.

http://www.superbowl.com/history/recaps/game/sbxxxii