My Dream Draft

BersMrnsT

Even though I doubt this will happen, I figured I'd give it a shot. And if it does, I'll be making my best attempts at doing cartwheels.

First off, I say that we trade our #17 to Philadelphia for their 30/31 and their 2nd rounder from Miami (since they have 2 second rounders I think they'd be willing to do this, not to mention they basically made the same trade with San Francisco last year).

With the #30/31, we take Ernest Shazor, he and Madieu would in (hopefully short) time become as good if not better than Michael Lewis and Brian Dawkins. With the second rounders we take TE Alex Smith and Ben Wilkerson/Chris Spencer/David Baas. After watching the Senior Bowl, I am convinced that Smith would be a very dangerous weapon and great addition to the offense. He doesn't have great speed, but neither does Antonio Gates, and he ain't all that bad. Ben Wilkerson or Chris Spencer or Baas (whichever the coaching staff chooses is fine with me) doesn't really need much explaining. I didn't include Jason Brown because from what I've seen, he didn't look anything like what he was hyped up to be at Senior Bowl practices/game.

As for DT, there's one man I pray that we end up with: RONALD FIELDS. "We'll say this- he looks like a great fit on the nose as a wide bodied lineman who occupies blockers and frees linebacker to take a clear shot at ball carriers."

"If he is pushed and coached well at the next level, he can become an effective two-down run stopper in a two-gap scheme." Sounds good to me.

Even with all of these flawless draft sites, I must concede that Marvin knows a little bit more about this stuff than I do, so I'll have faith in whatever he decides to do.

As for DT, there's one man I pray that we end up with: RONALD FIELDS. "We'll say this- he looks like a great fit on the nose as a wide bodied lineman who occupies blockers and frees linebacker to take a clear shot at ball carriers."

"If he is pushed and coached well at the next level, he can become an effective two-down run stopper in a two-gap scheme." Sounds good to me.

Another DT worth consideration in my opinion is Attiyah Ellison who played in Senior Bowl. First chance to watch him, but he looked decent. He got doubled more than Hawthorne and showed nice speed on stunt move to pressure QB. Stood his ground vs. run too.

As for the trading down, I'd like to see it again because the difference in talent level from #17 to the 3rd and 4th rds doesn't seem to be vast.

i would like to see

rd1. Channing Crowder MLB Florda- fiery intense agressive

rd2. Alex Smith TE Stanford- Senior Bowl prooved his ability

rd3. Jamaal Brimmer S UNLV (yes, he can slide to round 3)- tackling machine

rd4. Roscoe Parrish WR/KR Miami - 4.35 speed

rd5. Scott Mruczkowski C Bowling Green - 6'4 319 lbs

rd.6 Michael Hawkins CB AFL - raw talent with plenty of potential

rd.7 Chauncey Davis DE Florida St. - undersized but fast, could play special teams

I like Crowder, Smith, Brimmer. Wouldn't mind getting Erasmus James in the first, if he falls that far.

I also liked the Shazor idea. I like Ernest Shazor alot and think he would be something special after some time under Marvin.

BN1281

After watching the Senior Bowl, I'd have to say that I have no doubt in my mind that moving down may be our best option.

It's gonna have to take a special player like Mike Williams, Derrick Johnson, or Braylon Edwards to keep us there at # 17.

Senior Bowl Notes :

* Glad to see Bill Swancutt play that well. He could be Justin Smith with longer arms.

* David Baas was impressive playing mostly at Center. I think after the combine, it'll be real interesting to see who wins the battle for # 1 in a pretty deep draft class at center.

* I didn't know Matt Roth was that fast ! Or his opponent was that slow.

Spears looks like a better fit on the inside. He has the quickness to play the edge, but I think that suits him better inside. He had a chance to chase a quarterback down, and didn't have the wheels a true DE has to catch him. Shaun Cody is the real deal. You gotta love his versatility and he performed well against each lineman he went up against in practice.

* This is probably one of the best Safety positions to draft from in a long long time.

Thomas Davis

Earnest Shazor

James Butler - has to be considered # 3 now.

Brodney Pool - can cover one on one if need be.

Jammal Brimmer - I know Marvin likes him, but i'm becoming a Butler fan real quick.

Holy crap! I totally forgot about Bill Swancutt.

I made a thread about him earlier this year...that guy is a freakin' beast. I wouldn't love it if Marvin got him...Smith and Swancutt on the ends would be freakin' fantastic.

BN1281

Sounds like Marvin and company are going to put a long hard look at Robert McCune ILB Louisville. I guess it's not too suprising seeing as though Marvin is absolutely infatuated with speed LB, so any LB who flashes 4.4 speed is bound to catch his eye. He's a little old, but I guess with that kind of speed it doesn't really matter. Plus the military backround doesn't hurt either, probably instilled him with more discipline and work ethic than some others might have.

What do you guys think of Ronald Fields? I personally really, really want us to get this guy. He could be an amazing pickup in the middle rounds. I think he could develop into a Ted Washington type player, and will provide the huge run clogger in the middle that we could really use. It seems that all the draft sites agree that he could be a very good 2-down run-stopper, and the only reason he doesn't have a really high draft value is because he provides nothing in the pass rush and can get a little out of shape.

The only other guy who seems like he could be a real productive 2-gap lineman is Luis Castillo, but we'd have to use our 2nd rounder to get him, which I don't really want.

I personally like Anthony Bryant as the two down run stopper. It sounds like he's fairly athletic. Anyone who's his size and was a good basketball player shows he probably has pretty good balance and from what I read:) he's good at using his hands to disengage offensive lineman and strong enough to hold up double teams at the point of attack.

I'd like to see Alex Smith TE in stripes also given that Schobel's contract is up next year and Kelly needs to be sent packing ASAP.

Bengals need a real tight end for 2005 and the next few years who can catch in all aspects of passing game and block for both run and pass protection when needed. Such a TE would greatly enhance Brat's gamecall w/o tipping hand based on which personnel is in. And give CP all the weapons he can use.

Smith looks like he has Daniel Graham, Randy McMichael ability. He should be a 1st rd pick.

Fred Gibson looked tentative for whatever reason, knowledge of the system, unsure of his ability in an all star game... whatever, I hope we stay away from that one. I thought the Georgia Tech DB Baxter is someone to consider on day two. His wingspan reminded me of tory james, and he made pretty good breaks on some passes including one he intercepted...

Here's how mine goes: Thomas Davis rd. 1, Alex Smith rd. 2, Bill Swancutt rd. 3

That would make me very happy. And if we got Shazor instead of Davis, I could dig that, too.

BN1281

Here is my delusional errr I mean "Dream" Draft scenario....

Rd. 1: Erasmus James or Marcus Spears

Rd. 2: Ernest Shazor or Alex Smith

Rd. 3: Ron Fields or David Baas

Who-Dey come Draft Day!!!!! :player: :D :player: