2004 draft and a look ahead

First, let's leave all the Chris Perry stuff for other threads. Now that's out of the way (hopefully), one of the criticisms against Marvin last spring was that he was drafting about 1/2 of a round too early. There were several on here who rated the entire draft as a bust, some as so-so, and a few said it was decent. Now that we've had a chance to see what some of these picks can do, how would you rate last season's draft? As a reminder, here's our draft picks from last spring.

1 26(26) RB CHRIS PERRY

2 17(49) CB KEIWAN RATLIFF

2 24(56) S MADIEU WILLIAMS

3 17(80) ILB CALEB MILLER

3 33(96) OLB LANDON JOHNSON

4 18(114) DT MATTHIAS ASKEW

4 21(117) DE ROBERT GEATHERS

4 27(123) OT STACY ANDREWS

5 17(149) WR MAURICE MANN

6 18(183) CB GREG BROOKS

7 17(218) QB CASEY BRAMLET

Madieu has been outstanding and Keiwan, Landon and Geathers have shown that they belong. We keep getting blurbs about Andrews, about how good he is, but he's a long term project. All things considered, the draft appears to have been pretty good. Yes, there are picks that haven't .... um .... shown their potential yet, but you can't ever expect all of your picks to pan out the way you expect.

All that said, in this next draft I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Marvin go after a TE in the first round and then go after a center and defensive guys in the following rounds. I can't explain exactly why I think that, but it just "feels" like what Marvin would do.... of course, I'll be the first to say that I'm no draft guru.

The funny thing about drafting "too early" is that if the guy that you want is gone then what difference does it make. Especially if you pick a guy and he pans out (see: L. Johnson, Ratliff and M. Williams).

I'd say it was a good draft. Keep in mind that only 10 guys were on the team that were drafted in the pre-Marvin era. Other than Perry and Brooks who were on IR, Bramlet who was the 3rd QB and Mann being picked off of our practice squad, I see 7 guys that contibuted a great deal to this team.

I think that Marvin put together the best draft that the Bengals have had in a long time. Kiewan, Madieu, Geathers and Landon Johnson all proved that they could hang in the NFL, and Caleb Miller had moments where it looked like he might become a solid player.

There are still some players who have yet to show anything of note, and some who have yet to stay on the field for more than a play before being carted off with an injury (I won't name names, but let's just say he played at Michigan and was the #26 selection in the draft), but to have four players come in their first year and make an impact is more than anyone could really ask for, especially on a defense that was definitely in need of some fire.

Madieu should be the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Now let's draft a TE.

BN1281

I definitely want an improvement at Tight end considering the BUMS we're playing with.

But our needs at Center, Defensive Tackle, and Safety have to be our priorities.

Thomas Davis is a sure fire player, but he won't be there at 17 when we select and that's for certain!

The second round should be well enough to grab one of the top Centers, i.e. David Baas or my favorite ( bad knee and all ) Ben Wilkerson.