Past Heisman Trophy-Winning QBs: Success...

I went back and started looking at the QBs who won the Heisman, and the results shocked me. Here are the QBs who have won since 1984 and their current status in the NFL:

1984: Doug Flutie-had a successful career in the CFL and NFL. Exception to the rule.

1986: Vinny Testaverde-Still a starting QB in the NFL. Whether he should be or not is up for debate, but also an exception.

1989: Andre Ware-Bust for the Lions and out of football.

1990: Ty Detmer: Tied NFL record for INTs in one game with Lions, now 3rd string behind a rookie on the Falcons.

1992: Gino Torretta: 3rd-string for the Vikings in the early-90s, now out of football.

1993: Charlie Ward: Plays basketball.

1996: Danny Wuerffel: A bust for numerous teams, out of football.

2000: Chris Weinke: 3rd-string for the Panthers, limited success when given chance to start.

2001: Eric Crouch: Whiny bitch, quit traning camp with the Rams and Packers when they told him he did not have the skills to be an NFL QB and tried him at WR. I must also add that Crouch had a subpar season and Joey Harrington deserved the award and a place on this list (though I do like Harrington).

2002: Carson Palmer: Starter for our beloved Bengals.

2003: Jason White: Certainly destined to take his place with the OU QBs who have become stars in the NFL, like...um...hmmm....never mind.

So, out of 11 QBs who have won the award in the last 20 years, 3 are or were perennial starters (my 3rd is Palmer, since it looks like he will be around for awhile), 4 are out of football completely, 1 plays basketball and never played in the NFL, and 2 are on NFL rosters but won't even come close to getting on the field in any significant action anytime in the near future. Jason White will slowly go the way of Josh Heupel when he gets to the show (Just My Opinion).

I just think it's odd that so many people use the Heisman as a guide to judge the greatness of a player when the results look like this. There are obvious exceptions, but none recently, and maybe someday people will pick up on the fact that the Heisman virtually means nothing when evaluating the NFL success of a player.

That's all I've got. I need to go...I told Josh Heupel I knew who he was when he brought out my Bloomin' Onion at the Outback Steakhouse, and he told me he would buy me a sundae.

BN1281

I just think it's odd that so many people use the Heisman as a guide to judge the greatness of a player when the results look like this. There are obvious exceptions, but none recently, and maybe someday people will pick up on the fact that the Heisman virtually means nothing when evaluating the NFL success of a player.

Absolutely positively utterly (more words here) agree. I think on your list, Testaverde is probably been the most successful. I think even Flutie is a stretch of having a successful NFL career because he can never hold onto a starting job.

Good post BN.