Bengals Defense

Kirkendall

I don't want this week dominated by the poor offense, play-calling or whatever!

I do think the defense deserves awesome props.

A few notes of the Defense's recent play:

Not given up 20 or more points since the loss to Tennessee and 4 of the past 5. Second week in a row defense has given up less than 300 total offensive yards. 12 sacks in the past 2 games.

Not bad for a group of kids...

I wasn't a 100% convinced since we have recently played a few pathetic offenses, but we did well against Pitt...

I'm a believer. Looks like we'll see offense drafted heavily this year.

Please no....

Our Defense is FAR from being completed. Our D has taken great strides over the past few games, but you can't honestly be TOTALLY satisfied. If you are, you're easier to win over than I thought. Our Run D is blegh, and we seriously need to address it.

But Coach Lewis is only going to draft the BPA, so.... :huh:

I'd be suprised to actually see him concentrate on a specific area.

I wasn't a 100% convinced since we have recently played a few pathetic offenses, but we did well against Pitt...

I'm a believer.  Looks like we'll see offense drafted heavily this year.

Please no....

Our Defense is FAR from being completed. Our D has taken great strides over the past few games, but you can't honestly be TOTALLY satisfied. If you are, you're easier to win over than I thought. Our Run D is blegh, and we seriously need to address it.

No no...I don't think it's complete at all. Still, I think to make it the major focus of the draft would be a bit much.

As it is now, I AM happy with our secondary. Especially with a healthy O'Neal, I think we're fine in that spot. Williams and Ratliff will continue to improve, and things will only get better there. James is going to start declining in a couple of years, but he's fine for now.

At LB, I think we're also sitting pretty well with the emergence of Landon Johnson. Between him, Simmons, Hardy, and hopefully the return of Nate Webster...I think we're alright. Couldn't hurt to draft one, but I'd rank other things much higher.

The defensive line...probably our biggest area of need, although not as much as we thought at the beginning of the season. Langston Moore seems to be showing promise, and I think Askew is going to be a beast before long. I'm also happy with Thornton in the middle. Then at the ends, we have Smith finally looking good, and Geathers seems to be on his way. We could stand to draft another DT, and possibly a DE. Still, like I said...it's not AS urgent as we had thought. Especially after getting 7 sacks against Pitt...never thought this group would be capable of something like that.

On the offensive end...you have to think Center is going to be a large priority, along with another OL to for insurance since our line seems to be hurt so often this year.

Wide Receiver will probably be drafted as well. Washington keeps showing signs that he could be that tall speed receiver we need opposite of Johnson, but I for one expected him to be contributing more often than he is. If there's a big stud receiver available to put next to Chad, then we may bite.

We may also be in the market for a RB depending on how the Rudi thing pans out.

Plus, what about TE? I want to believe that Schobel could come along and be the pass-catching threat we need, but he just isn't getting the job done. One big play every 6 games or so won't work. We need a consistent catching threat at that position to help out our young QB.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up now...I've rambled about this for WAY too long.

Please no....

Yeah that`s the way you build a team is picking the Best Player

Available. You take NEED into account...but it is a distant 2nd.

No player in the draft is a "sure thing" and to try and fill holes

is gambling. You fill NEED through Free Agency.

The Bengals will be freeing up a little over 10+ million in

dead money for the cap. Plus the they are going to have

some more money from NOT re-signing players.

And the cap should go up for all teams anywhere between

5-10 million (it went up 6 million last year)

That would mean the Bengals have anywhere between 16-25 million

in cap room.

I would like to see them get Shaun Rogers from the Lions !

92 Shaun Rogers

Position: DT

Height: 6-4

Weight: 345

Born: 03/12/1979

College: Texas

NFL Experience: 4

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235240

Good point on not re-signing some players...think we'll see a few surprising casualties this offseason?

Yeah I`m sure Marvin won`t re-sign EVERY1.

Here is a list of Bengals playing the last year of their contract.

Bauman, Rashad

2004 380000.00

Myles, Reggie

2004 380000.00

Powell, Carl

2004 700000.00

Williams, Tony

2004 2200000.00

Chamberlin, Frank

2004 535000.00

Braham, Rich

2004 950000.00

Fontenot, Jerry

2004 760000.00

Richardson, Kyle

2004 660000.00

Watson, Kenny

2004 455000.00

Johnson, Berudi

2004 1824000.00

Mitchell, Anthony

2004 535000.00

Houshmandzadeh, T.J.

2004 628000.00

Walter, Kevin

2004 305000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subP...e+Player+Search

Rough math that looks to be around 10 million.

Who stays and who goes is the question though ?

Bauman, Rashad - probably stays, he was a 1 year contract with a shot at sticking around.

Myles, Reggie - you keep him just for special teams at a minimal contract

Powell, Carl - Carl Who? GONE

Williams, Tony - Tony is no longer a tiger... cut him!

Chamberlin, Frank - I doubt he makes it with the emergence of Johnson and Miller.

Braham, Rich - this is up to Richie. I hope we draft a center though!

Fontenot, Jerry - Jerry was a stopgap. He retires after this season

Richardson, Kyle - The other Kyle used his injury to flat out beat him out of a job after a poor preseason.

Watson, Kenny - Resigned if possible, he's a good change of pace back and a special teamer.

Johnson, Rudi - Most likely gets a long term deal or a tag since Perry wasn't able to play this season at all thanks to an injury.

Mitchell, Anthony - A stopgap after injuries, hasn't impressed me enough to stay around.

Houshmandzadeh, T.J. - Are you kidding me? This kid is going somewhere for bigger bucks. We pay him the minimum salary and all he does is fill in for Peter Warrick our highest paid player. I'd love to see him sign again, but he will go somewhere for more than minimum salary.

You also left out the fact that we recover about 10 million in dead money from Akilli Myth and Leon next year too. And the fact that the salary cap will go up due to the new contract with the TV stations. The question is, will the salary cap increase inflate player prices?

I agree for the most part.

Chamberlin, Frank - I doubt he makes it with the emergence of Johnson and Miller.

I would agree if Miller did emerge, but he hasn't. Well, included to the fact he hasn't played since Tennessee and has been listed as inactive the past two weeks, I wouldn't count my ducks yet on Miller just yet. I would like to see if Miller can play OLB and replace Hardy though...

Johnson, Rudi - Most likely gets a long term deal or a tag since Perry wasn't able to play this season at all thanks to an injury.

This all depends on Rudi's asking price.

I agree for the most part.

I would agree if Miller did emerge, but he hasn't. Well, included to the fact he hasn't played since Tennessee and has been listed as inactive the past two weeks, I wouldn't count my ducks yet on Miller just yet. I would like to see if Miller can play OLB and replace Hardy though...

This all depends on Rudi's asking price.

I'll agree Kirk, but Chamberlin didn't play, so I'm not sure about him. He didn't show me much in preseason either. There will be other free agents out there who could be better, or another draft pick.

I totally agree on Rudi, but he does lead the league in broken tackles, so he's going to get a big payday. Without another back who can carry the load we pretty much HAVE to keep him even if it's a $4 million franchise tag.

Please no....

No no...I don't think it's complete at all. Still, I think to make it the major focus of the draft would be a bit much.

As it is now, I AM happy with our secondary. Especially with a healthy O'Neal, I think we're fine in that spot. Williams and Ratliff will continue to improve, and things will only get better there. James is going to start declining in a couple of years, but he's fine for now.

At LB, I think we're also sitting pretty well with the emergence of Landon Johnson. Between him, Simmons, Hardy, and hopefully the return of Nate Webster...I think we're alright. Couldn't hurt to draft one, but I'd rank other things much higher.

The defensive line...probably our biggest area of need, although not as much as we thought at the beginning of the season. Langston Moore seems to be showing promise, and I think Askew is going to be a beast before long. I'm also happy with Thornton in the middle. Then at the ends, we have Smith finally looking good, and Geathers seems to be on his way. We could stand to draft another DT, and possibly a DE. Still, like I said...it's not AS urgent as we had thought. Especially after getting 7 sacks against Pitt...never thought this group would be capable of something like that.

On the offensive end...you have to think Center is going to be a large priority, along with another OL to for insurance since our line seems to be hurt so often this year.

Wide Receiver will probably be drafted as well. Washington keeps showing signs that he could be that tall speed receiver we need opposite of Johnson, but I for one expected him to be contributing more often than he is. If there's a big stud receiver available to put next to Chad, then we may bite.

We may also be in the market for a RB depending on how the Rudi thing pans out.

Plus, what about TE? I want to believe that Schobel could come along and be the pass-catching threat we need, but he just isn't getting the job done. One big play every 6 games or so won't work. We need a consistent catching threat at that position to help out our young QB.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up now...I've rambled about this for WAY too long.

I am also happy with the secondary, IMO that was the best unit of the D.

I also agree with the LB position. Simmons, Landon and Caleb would be a great LB corp in the future. I'm thinking more or less DE and/or DT, in other words the D-Line. I'd like to get a DT that can clog up the middle and run stuff, and another DE that can put pressure on the QB and work in tandem with Justin.

But yeah, I agree. Another WR would work, particulary a big strong physical one lined up with Chad, but I'd love to have a TE. Ever since Schobel let Troy Polamalu s**t on him back in Pittsburgh, I've been kinda down on him....it looked like he didn't even try. And this TE by committee is wack. We could trim down our roster an extra player by grabbing an Impact TE.

Get another guard, Bobbie Williams like to grab jerseys, and a Center is a need as well.

But yeah, like you said, those are good places to start.

we need:

another corner just in case

another linebacker to give more depth, not necassary a top pick

3 dlineman, 1 de, 2 dt

1 tackle for depth

1 gaurd for depth

1 center to start, mb our first round pick if not on the dl

2 wr's 1 starter besides chad - and i agree he should be more physical, and a reserve

1 te - mb a first rounder or a impact te in FA - sick of the committee as well.

1 rb - if we can get alexander that is...but if we dont resign rudi, we'll need 1.

The longer this season goes on the more impressed I am with the defense and the less impressed I am with the offense. There are holes to fill all the way around, both offensively and defensively, but I'm more more concerned with offense (O line, TE, RB). I agree with jditty's basic breakdown. I wish that Perry could get back soon so that we can at least evaluate him somewhat before decisions have to be made with Rudi and whatever price he asks for his contract.

Our D has made nice strides,from being one of the worst,to playing very well the last five weeks.It is now ranked 16th in the league as per NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-...ar?sort_col_1=4

We still need a big run-stuffing DT.

I am in agreement with those that stated we need a RG and C for the o-line.Possibly a WR,but only if Warrick can't come back healthy.Other than that,Palmer just needs experience.

I'm getting the feeling that it's more than just experience that Palmer needs. Other teams know that if they shut down Chad, they have shut down the majority of the offense. All the other teams know to double and triple-team him. They can do this because no other reciever has emerged as a serious threat week to week. And since Chad is Palmer's first option, taking him out of the play each time is a big disruption to the overall flow of the offense.

We either need to have one of our guys step it up to a new level or we need to get someone via the draft or free agency. Once we have a true second threat and even third threats, teams won't be able to double up on Chad like they are now. All that said, I'd like at least like to have another reciever even if Warrick comes back healthy.

Not given up 20 or more points since the loss to Tennessee and 4 of the past 5. Second week in a row defense has given up less than 300 total offensive yards. 12 sacks in the past 2 games.

The D freaked The Steelers out. They swarmed relentlessly for the whole game and never wore down despite the lopsided TOP.

Bettis got his yds. but was contained from reeling off big runs.

Red Zone D was domination. Steelers got no pts three times w/ ball inside the 20 and were held to FG w/ starting field position at Bengals 17.

Special teams letdowns made the D's day tougher. The fact they only gave up 10 pts. shows they came to play the full 60 unlike the O.

Worst play I saw for D was Simmons not playing the ball on TD pass to Kreider.

Overall, this defensive effort was as impressive as the Broncs game. Just too bad Big Ben don't throw picks like Jake.

Not given up 20 or more points since the loss to Tennessee and 4 of the past 5.  Second week in a row defense has given up less than 300 total offensive yards.  12 sacks in the past 2 games. 

The D freaked The Steelers out. They swarmed relentlessly for the whole game and never wore down despite the lopsided TOP.

Red Zone D was domination. Steelers got no pts three times w/ ball inside the 20 and were held to FG w/ starting field position at Bengals 17.

Special teams letdowns made the D's day tougher. The fact they only gave up 10 pts. shows they came to play the full 60 unlike the O.

Overall, this defensive effort was as impressive as the Broncs game. Just too bad Big Ben don't throw picks like Jake.

Bettis isn't the type of runner (lack of breakaway speed) to reel off big runs. I called the Bus getting 130+ for the game. He got 129.

I called it basing my decisions on:

1. The Bus is on his last leg (worth 150+ against the Bungles)

2. The Bus isn't a breakaway runner (worth 100+ against the Bungles)

3. Bungles Defense sucks (worth 170+)

So, you just take the average of the 3--which would be around 130.

BTW, the Squeelers weren't s**tting about the Bungles' Defense--they were playing their own type of ball--and Drunkowski f**ked the Bungles right in the ass with his play calling.

With Bettis reeling off 129, the Squeelers were quite in control. Why try to win with a 1st year QB, when you have a sure thing with the biggest Bungle Killer of them all--Bettis.

It's a f**king joke that Bettis still pulled 129 off. That defense of the Bungles sucks big fat ones.

:angry::angry:;)

Not given up 20 or more points since the loss to Tennessee and 4 of the past 5.  Second week in a row defense has given up less than 300 total offensive yards.  12 sacks in the past 2 games. 

Bettis isn't the type of runner (lack of breakaway speed) to reel off big runs. I called the Bus getting 130+ for the game. He got 129.

BTW, the Squeelers weren't s**tting about the Bungles' Defense--they were playing their own type of ball--and Drunkowski f**ked the Bungles right in the ass with his play calling.

With Bettis reeling off 129, the Squeelers were quite in control. Why try to win with a 1st year QB, when you have a sure thing with the biggest Bungle Killer of them all--Bettis.

It's a f**king joke that Bettis still pulled 129 off. That defense of the Bungles sucks big fat ones.

How long did it take you to think of that, barbie?? :rolleyes:

How long???

As long as it took you to finger-peck that dumbass'ed reply. Let's breakdown your thinking on that post:

How long did it take you to think of that, barbie??

1. 10 minutes to get red in the face from homering out.

2. 20 minutes to ask your mom/dad on how to reply

3. 40 minutes to finger-peck all those letters out in a "rebuttled" post (think "where's the 'H' button"???) :lol:

4. 10 more minutes to froth at the mouth--clean up the drool on the keyboard

5. 50 more minutes to go out to Wal-Mart (your favorite store) to buy a $10 keyboard because your drool "broke" the last keyboard.

6. 10 more minutes to finish your post

7. 5 minutes to find where the "question mark" key was.

If you're going to come at me, you better be armed with something more dangerous than this quote. Come'on, "Not Another Bungles Loss", you can do better than this. I hope.

:D:lol:;)

How long???

As long as it took you to finger-peck that dumbass'ed reply. Let's breakdown your thinking on that post:

3. 40 minutes to finger-peck all those letters out in a "rebuttled" post (think "where's the 'H' button"???) :lol:

5. 50 more minutes to go out to Wal-Mart (your favorite store) to buy a $10 keyboard because your drool "broke" the last keyboard.

If you're going to come at me, you better be armed with something more dangerous than this quote. Come'on, "Not Another Bungles Loss", you can do better than this. I hope.

Here I`ll "come at you" with more than that.

1st off in case you hadn`t noticed...the "Bungles"

died in 2002. This team hasn`t been blown out like the

"Bungles" used to be since opening day 2003.

And 2nd Jerome Bettis put up MORE yards against the Eagles

Defense.(149 yards) And he had a run for 24 yards.

He had a run of 29 yards against the Patriots D.

His longest against the Bengals D was 11 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041107_PHI@PIT

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041031_NE@PIT

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041121_PIT@CIN

He has had 3 100 yard games since taking over as the starter.

He is 5th on the All Time rushing list and he is well rested ...not quite

"on his last leg".

His average per rush is pretty comparable to Clinton Portis, LaDainian Tomlinson,

Willis McGahee and even our very own Rudi Johnson.

And his averages are skewed because he was used as a short yardage

RB at the beginning of the season and only got a yard per carry and a TD.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2004/regular

Anyway the Bengals D has imrpoved dramatically against the run.

Seeing how they were averaging 170+ after the first 3 games.

They have trimmed 30 yards a game off that average.

They allow a 143 yards a game now. Compared to over 170

after the Ravens game.

Get the facts before you spout off next time. :)

How long???

"on his last leg".

His average per rush is pretty comparable to Clinton Portis, LaDainian Tomlinson,

after the Ravens game.

OldWooler!!!! How have you been, bud??? I haven't seen your fleece jacket in weeks.

Your comeback is also weak as hell.

For one thing, the Bungles against the run is terrible. Don't be using another team's ineptness to stop the run as an excuse. That's pretty lame, bro.

The last time I checked, Bettis isn't exactly "Spring Chicken" Material, dude. Any running back in the NFL that has 12 years under his belt IS on his last leg. Just ask Terry Allen. He'll tell you all about it. There's a reason why Ricky Watters wasn't offered a contract (other than wanting too much).

Also, excuses, excuses, excuses. You would think that after 3 years+ of not being able to stop the run, you would have thunk it that the Bungles Management would have tried to sign a FATASS to stop the run. That inept run defense is still giving up:

They allow a 143 yards a game now.

Yeah, that's right--which is STILL HORRIBLE!!!!!!

And he had a run for 24 yards.

He had a run of  29 yards against the Patriots D.

Dude, this supports my argument even more--that Bettis doesn't have the breakaway speed. His longest run from scrimmage this year is the 29 yarder you mentioned--no 60 yarders, no 50 yarders, not even a 40-yarder. 29 yards. That's it.

So where are you going now, Ole Wooler????

LOL!!!!!

How long???

"on his last leg".

after the Ravens game.

OldWooler!!!! How have you been, bud??? I haven't seen your fleece jacket in weeks.

Your comeback is also weak as hell.

For one thing, the Bungles against the run is terrible. Don't be using another team's ineptness to stop the run as an excuse. That's pretty lame, bro.

The last time I checked, Bettis isn't exactly "Spring Chicken" Material, dude. Any running back in the NFL that has 12 years under his belt IS on his last leg. Just ask Terry Allen. He'll tell you all about it. There's a reason why Ricky Watters wasn't offered a contract (other than wanting too much).

Also, excuses, excuses, excuses. You would think that after 3 years+ of not being able to stop the run, you would have thunk it that the Bungles Management would have tried to sign a FATASS to stop the run. That inept run defense is still giving up:

They allow a 143 yards a game now.

Yeah, that's right--which is STILL HORRIBLE!!!!!!

And he had a run for 24 yards.

He had a run of  29 yards against the Patriots D.

Dude, this supports my argument even more--that Bettis doesn't have the breakaway speed. His longest run from scrimmage this year is the 29 yarder you mentioned--no 60 yarders, no 50 yarders, not even a 40-yarder. 29 yards. That's it.

So where are you going now, Ole Wooler????

LOL!!!!!

Gonad the Barbarian.

You said he didn`t have the speed to have big runs.

I showed you that he had BIGGER RUNS against two 9-1 teams.

His longest run is 29 yards against the Patriots. That`s not bad considering he is

"on his last leg" and has only started 3 GAMES. <_<

LaDainian Tomlinson`s (who is considered the best RB in the NFL by some people)

longest run of the year is 42 yards. Rudi Johnson`s is 36 yards.

Preist Holmes is 33 yards, Corey Dillons is 44 yards and Curtis Martin`s longest is 25 yards.

All of these guys have started MORE than 3 games and are ranked top 11

in the NFL for rushing.

Yes the BENGALS were very bad against the run.

Ecspecially at the beginning of the season. My point was that

considering they had all of the injuries to key defensive players

and that Rookies HAD to start ..that they are starting to become BETTER.

LOL...and you called my post weak ?