FireFox Version 1 is Out

Kirkendall

FireFox version one is finally out.

A word of advice; Microsoft products are a high target for hackers and malicious users. Best way to get around the common day barage of virus, ad-ware, spy-ware, trojan etc.. is to try to find an alternative. I recommend giving the new FireFox a try as an alternative to the hole-happy always will be attacked and computer threatening Internet Explorer.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

What's IE?

Firefox rocks folks. Awsome cookie controls, can block images, tabbed browsing. And no worries about spyware or anything like that.

Internet Explorer.

There are still worries about spyware...I love Firefox, but be sure to have a spyware cleaner on hand as well...Lavasoft's Adaware gets my vote.

What's IE?

Firefox rocks folks. Awsome cookie controls, can block images, tabbed browsing. And no worries about spyware or anything like that.

Internet Explorer.

There are still worries about spyware...I love Firefox, but be sure to have a spyware cleaner on hand as well...Lavasoft's Adaware gets my vote.

Skyline, I know what IE is, I'm a web developer. I was just being sarcastic cause I haven't used IE in years cause it's such a pain.

And if we are giving security advice I highly recommend a firewall as well. I like Zone Alarm. And if you have broadband on your PC and no firewall I highly suggest that you immediately download it and install all of the items mentioned here otherwise you are asking to be hacked, to have your bank details stolen and have your web surfing monitored.

Share files with things like Kazaa? What are you thinking? Your machine is loaded with spyware. Get that software mentioned above and get safe and do it yesterday.

What's IE?

Internet Explorer.

Skyline, I know what IE is, I'm a web developer. I was just being sarcastic cause I haven't used IE in years cause it's such a pain.

And if we are giving security advice I highly recommend a firewall as well. I like Zone Alarm. And if you have broadband on your PC and no firewall I highly suggest that you immediately download it and install all of the items mentioned here otherwise you are asking to be hacked, to have your bank details stolen and have your web surfing monitored.

Share files with things like Kazaa? What are you thinking? Your machine is loaded with spyware. Get that software mentioned above and get safe and do it yesterday.

Haha, my bad. I was a computer tech for a few years as well, so I'm used to dealing with people that know next to nothing...old habits die hard I guess.

Zone Alarm is a good program. Another option is Sygate. I used Zone Alarm for years, and it served me very well...all the sudden I started having strange problems with printer sharing, and bit torrent downloads. I switched to Sygate and things have been fine. My wife still uses ZA on her laptop, though, and never experienced those problems.

Have you guys used the new McAfee 8i? We got it now at work and it's got a decent anti-spyware program which is updated nearly 2-3 times a week (that's the important part). That's important for someone like me with a primary job of PC tech at the courts of all places; so we have to be up-to-date.

I'm using ZoneAlarms mostly because it's free and I havent' experienced any problems.

Sky - Is Sygate free? If so, I may try it. I'm always looking for new software.

Speaking of file sharing, what do you guys have now? I used Kazaa with DietK (removes the spyware) but my anti-ware programs killed if for some reason. Any ideas?

Have you guys used the new McAfee 8i? We got it now at work and it's got a decent anti-spyware program which is updated nearly 2-3 times a week (that's the important part). That's important for someone like me with a primary job of PC tech at the courts of all places; so we have to be up-to-date.

I'm using ZoneAlarms mostly because it's free and I havent' experienced any problems.

Sky - Is Sygate free? If so, I may try it. I'm always looking for new software.

Speaking of file sharing, what do you guys have now? I used Kazaa with DietK (removes the spyware) but my anti-ware programs killed if for some reason. Any ideas?

For spyware, I would go download Lavasoft Adaware, which is completely free. Then, run the spyware program you have. IMMEDIATELY afterwards, run adaware to see if it catches anything that your current program missed...if it doesn't find anything, then I would feel pretty good about what you have.

The personal version of Sygate is free. That being said, it's not nearly as "nice" as ZA. It does the job just as effectively, but isn't quite as user-friendly. ZA has a better interface, especially for your average computer/internet user. Now that I've said all of that, forget it, and go with the theory of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If ZA is working well for you, then there is no reason to switch.

As for file sharing, I refuse to touch any of those programs. I use bit torrent, from reliable sources. Depending on what you're looking to share/download BT can sometimes be an excellent option.

That's cool Skyline. I understand. I work in an IT department and used to help with phone support so I know all about idiot users.

I've heard great things about Bit Torrent, but in saying that I've never used it and you need to know people to get anything good.

Kazaa Lite used to be good, but I've heard that it's been purchased by Kazaa so that when you install it it actually installs spyware too. I'll have a look around and see what I can find cause here at work spyware is a constant battle cause of all the students wanting to download music so they install all of the spyware filled programs you could ask for. AHHHHHH

Also on the subject of spyware I know Trend has a corprate spyware blocker built into their Office Scan product. Not perfect but it's a first version and it comes with the antivirus product we purchased. Their home product is PC-Cillan but I don't think the new version has spyware sniffing features yet, I could be wrong. But it does have a very nice firewall. I don't use it though, cause I need something that is a touch more configurable.