Defensive Rookie of the Year...so far

skyline

Defensive Rookie of the NFL? or of the Bengals?

Madieu is looking like an excellent first-year player but I think Dunta Robinson for Houston is having a better rookie year.

32 total tackles (24.0 solo, 8 assists) 3 INT's 7 passes defended and the biggest stat...he is on a winning team at the moment. He is also a corner so his tackles will be lower. What stands out is the 7 passes defended.

If the Bengals sniff .500 and Madieu continues to play as well as he has, he should be considered though.

Defensive Rookie of the NFL? or of the Bengals?

Madieu is looking like an excellent first-year player but I think Dunta Robinson for Houston is having a better rookie year.

32 total tackles (24.0 solo, 8 assists) 3 INT's 7 passes defended and the biggest stat...he is on a winning team at the moment. He is also a corner so his tackles will be lower. What stands out is the 7 passes defended.

If the Bengals sniff .500 and Madieu continues to play as well as he has, he should be considered though.

Don't corners typically have more passes defended? The 3 INTs is big...I didn't realize he had that many.

He is playing at a high-level. Compare him stat-wise to Tory James.

Tory has one more INT, a few less tackles and 5 fewer passes defended.

Dunta looks like they are picking on him but he is handling it with the passes defended and the INT's. For example Chris McAllister for BAL has 5 passes defended. Champ Bailey has 2. Charles Woodson has 7.

Don't get me wrong. I'm really impressed with Williams. He clearly is a starter.

The pass D looks pretty solid considering the lack of an upfront push. They do well even under the gun during blitz packages. I do like to see Ratliff and Simmons coming on the loaded weak-side blitz. This has been one shining point.

The D-line just needs an upgrade. Taking on a FA...or drafting a run stuffer will net big for us. Caleb Miller is starting due to the injury to Webster but he is just being overpowered and out-techniqued.

The D-line just needs an upgrade. Taking on a FA...or drafting a run stuffer will net big for us.

God, I think I remember this conversation earlier in the offseason when someone said it was a priority for us. I'm sick !!

WHODEY !!!

Actually I do believe that the ENTIRE defense was mentioned in terms of upgrading.

Almost any spot on the D needed an upgrade. So far the team has upgraded S, MLB, CB, and OLB...You can't replace everybody in one season, at least not if you want to consider it an upgrade. Yeah we need a DT, and a DE, and maybe another OLB. But, if our young guys at those spots get the work this season (and hey, they are getting it) they should be ready for next year, where one or two key people can slip in and help bust some ass. Remember, both Geathers and Askew were considered projects and very raw with a lot of potential.

Madieu will be in the running, but he won't win. I do have a ton of respect for one of the only guys who appears to be really trying on our defense.