Why no Monday night football?

theobro

Cincy last played on MNF way back in 1992 in a 20-0 loss to the Steelers. In 1991, they played twice on MNF both of which were losses; one at Buffalo and the other at Miami. In 1990, on the heels of their Superbowl apperance, they played twice, losing at Seattle and winning at Cleveland.

The scheduling is selective. MNF looks for the games that will bring in the greatest viewership. MNF goes after teams will are either very good, in a large market or both. Frequently you'll see rematches from the previous season's playoffs on MNF as these games would carry some extra national interest. Teams from big markets like Chicago or New York... er... New Jersey will get the nod from MNF even if their team is utter crap. The team may be bad, but it still brings in a lot of viewers.

Cincinnati is a small market team, so in order to get on MNF, they have to be good. Cincinnati hasn't had a winning season since 1990. They were in the playoffs in 1990, so that's why they appeared on MNF in 1991. The folks at MNF probably thought that 1991 was a down year and the Bengals would bounce back, but little did they and rest of us know what the next 12 years would hold.

If Cincy's pace keeps up and they finish with a 11-5 or 10-6 record, I would definitely expect to see them on MNF next year. If they finish 9-7, there's still a chance they'd appear since the Bengals have become a media darling with this change of fortune under Marvin Lewis.

ABC needs to try to create a deal where it can schedule games during the season. Instead of having these subpar teams that do not deserve MNF appearances, they can see what teams are good about 2-3 weeks in advance. I'm sure they've tried to, but I'm guessing the complexities of trying something like that would never happen. Plus you have FOX and CBS wanting to keep the viewership of these high profile games that should be on MNF.

San Antonio Bengal - Thanks for the info.

Just by the way the Bengals have played and the coaching of Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati should be on MNF next year. Everyone loves an underdog. There is an episode of The Odd Couple, where Oscar is asked by Howard Cossell to sit in the booth and do comentary on a game between the Jets and the young Cincinnati Bengals.

While it would be nice if MNF could schedule games during the season, logistically this is a very difficult task. Games in multi-purpose stadiums would be almost impossible to change because of the commitments in baseball (especially if the baseball team goes to the postseason) and other events are planned months and months in advance. It might be easier to move game dates in the winter months, but there are still difficulties present.

Excuse me. I can't stop laughing. Ummm.. THIS IS THE BENGALS Your talking about here. I can understand you asking why they don't have MNF games if it were ANY other team.

You don't get on national TV with a pathetic record year in and year out. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, but come on people, this is THE BENGALS! Even as fans, I'm sure you know that winners get on tv, and losers.. Well maybe the radio if even that. In the last ten years I would doubt if the Bengals even came up in a MNF scheduling meeting.

When they show the highlights from Sundays games on MNF just be happy with that.

By the way...

Steelers 31

Bengals 0

I'm sorry it has to be this way.

Lambert 58

Lambert58 has a point. Yea, the Bengals in the past never legitimized a reason to play under the lights. I think the benefiting factor for playing on MNF next season is the curiosity from fans around the NFL. You'll have Palmer starting, Chad Johnson, and everyone's favorite coach, Marvin. If anything there's a high level of curiosity with the Bengals. Hopefully we'll be on next season, but I wonder if ABC will commit to the Bengals after one season. Hopefully we'll be on, but it's way beyond our control with the power hungry execs running the "empire" at Disney making stupid decisions on who to put on the tubes.