Wild Cards

San Antonio Bengal

There are 8 teams in the AFC with winning records. The next five teams all have 4 - 7 records. So, there's a good probability that the 6 playoff teams will come from the current top eight. Anyway, the top eight and records:

Kansas City: 10 - 1

Indianapolis: 9 - 2

New England: 9 - 2

Tennessee: 9 - 2

Miami: 7 - 4

Cincinnati: 6 - 5

Denver: 6 - 5

Baltimore: 6 - 5

Unless there is a total meltdown, the top four will be in. Then you have the winner of the AFC North. And then a final wild card. Denver and Miami have some pretty tough competition in the next 5 weeks.

Denver:

@ Oakland

vs. Kansas City

vs. Cleveland

@ Indianapolis

@ Green Bay

Miami:

@ Dallas

@ New England

vs. Philadelphia

@ Buffalo

vs. NY Jets

Baltimore:

vs. San Franciso

vs. Cincinnati

@ Oakland

@ Cleveland

vs. Pittsburgh

Cincinnati:

@ Pittsburgh

@ Baltimore

vs San Francisco

@ St. Louis

vs Cleveland

If the games this week follow the records (which they probably won't -- this is the NFL), Miami will lose to Dallas and the other three will win. This will leave a four-way tie at 7 - 5. We could be having a four horse race for the final wild card. And amazingly enough there's actually a chance that the wild card could come from the AFC North. I guess this is what they mean when they talk about "parity."

It'll be interesting to see who chokes and who doesn't. So, who's going to playoffs? And who chokes?

I think that Denver will lose KC, Indy, and Green Bay. Miami is waiting to fall into disappointment like every single season, they will fall to Dallas, New England and Philly.

Baltimore's schedule is the easiest in our division. With that said, the final Wild Card spot is highly in the making for the AFC North. I'd like for the Bengals to win the AFC North, but if they make the wild card, I'll be just as excited.

It's funny how everybody keeps saying the weak AFC North, but it's actually got a legit shot at having two teams in the playoffs. I think Denver has a beast of a schedule, Miami....Well Miami always falls to pieces in December, and they have some nasty cold weather games ahead of them as well, and some tough games at home. So that leaves Balitmore and Cincinnati. I would prefer to see them win the AFC North, but now they have a realy shot at winning a Wild Card berth....But a home game at PBS is the best thing to happen, cause I can see them winning that game(probably against the Colts), I don't think they'll be able to go to New England and win in January though.

The AFC North gets a bad rap. All of us have been playing tough teams this season with NFC/AFC West Opponents. The North ranks as the second best defensive unit in the AFC, we have 3 teams in the top ten in the NFL (Balt. 5th, Cleve. 6th, Pitt. 9th). The Bengals are ranked 3rd in the AFC (behind Tennessee and Indy) on offense. When the season ends and things level out, I think the AFC North will not be the worst division in the AFC - that award is quietly going to the West.

Plus if you remove the record of the first place team in each division you have the following standings:

East: 15-18

South: 15-18

North: 14-19

West: 11-22

If the season were to end today, the Bengals would host the Titans, not the Colts because Indy beat Tennessee 31-7.

Also lets remove Miami from the mix. Not because of their tradition of missing it each year, but they will lose their next three games. Denver still plays KC, at Indy, and at Green Bay, that's not an easy task. Here is my predictions:

East: NE Pats

North: Cincy

South: Indy (easier schedule than Ten)

West: Chiefs

WC#1: Tennessee

WC#2: Baltimore

The Steelers will win the division at 9-7.

Then on to the Super Bowl.

Laugh if you want to.

I't going to happen. Whether you accept it or not. You can forget about records right now. Put the stats away.

Everything changes.

Every week. One day a team is on top. Then suddenly... THE BASEMENT.

Steelers 31

Bengals 0

I'm sorry it has to be this way.

Lambert 58

The Steelers will win the division at 9-7.

Then on to the Super Bowl.

Laugh if you want to.

I't going to happen. Whether you accept it or not. You can forget about records right now. Put the stats away.

Everything changes.

Every week. One day a team is on top. Then suddenly... THE BASEMENT.

Steelers 31

Bengals 0

I'm sorry it has to be this way.

Lambert 58

Lamebrain58, now that was laugh out load funny. Thanks

Kirkendall, I said they would probably play the Colts, cause I still think the Colts aren't going to win the South, but after this past Sunday I'm starting to have doubts. And Yes, the AFC west sucks badly, but not as bad as the NFC North...

kevnz says, "Kirkendall, I said they would probably play the Colts, cause I still think the Colts aren't going to win the South, but after this past Sunday I'm starting to have doubts."

I think this will be Manning's year. As long as he can get a healthy Harrison with Wayne stepping up, the passing game might be it's best yet. Plus James looks to be converting to a more power game while Rhodes and "the other" Ricky Williams takes over as the speed backs. I think the Titans will slow down towards the end of the season, without a formidable running game and a hurt McNair carrying the offense, they probably will lose a few more.

Lambert58 - The Steelers suck!