Another Slap in the Face!!!!!!!!!

walzav29

So what's left?

"We play for pride," Tomlinson said. "You play not to get laughed at. Not to be called the Cincinnati Bengals of the league."

This ridicule will only stop, when the Bengals beat the crap out of the Chargers of the league!

I wanted to check the source on this, because its hard to know how to take something like this unless you see it in its entire context.

Actually, its a little worse than it sounds. His entire statement is kind of rambling and doesn't make much sense because along with blaming his team mates for playing with no heart ( Like the Bengals) he's afraid that the Chargers are going to be like the Bengals. At 2 and 8 and in last place ..... he's afraid they're going to be like us ?????? Not unless they can get to .500 and take a share of the lead in the division they won't.

I give him as much credence as I did to Priest Holmes ..........none. What does make it interesting to me is that it shows a team in turmoil. Flutie as usual is subtley pointing his little finger at the other guys on the team as well. Good. Let 'em all get in on it. They'll be so busy with each other, they won't have time to worry about us or prepare for the game. I always like our chances when we are playing a bunch of individuals as opposed to a team, and right now these guys are not a team. They are a bunch of me's and you's.

As for the insult. Chalk it up to the source. If we're going to settle every score that came from an insult real or perceived, we'd have to beat everybody in the NFL about 12 times ...... a number of other sports teams here and in Europe .... and Leno and Letterman to boot. Then we could start with the sports writers in every major city including Cincinnati Ohio.

The best way to shake a loser image is to win. After 12 years of it tho ............ its going to take a while. Look at it this way. We're going to be getting a lot more "fans" as we go. All of us here were in on the ground floor.

Living in Phoenix I've been hearing a bunch of crap about the Cards game. I was at the game with my sister's boyfriend who came in from Cincy. We were amazed by the number of Bengals-clad folks walking around the stadium - it was great! I'd say about 20-percent of the fans were Bengals fans. Granted that's still only a couple thousand, but still....

I've been a Bengals fan since the early 70s. I've taken a lot of crap from my co-workers. Most just think it's funny that the Bengals actually have such passionate fans - what's that say about them if their team starts losing? They're all fans of Denver, Dallas, San Fran, Minnesota and Green Bay. There's only 1 Card fan in my office. I haven't lived in Cincy since the late 80s, but I bet through all those years the fans were still better than the pathetic bunch out here.

Anyway, the point is that our wagon is going to get fat fast. I remember it happening back in the first Super Bowl year. You know what? Let 'em come. It makes it fun!

Boobie Clark

I can definitely identify with your post. I live in western New York ........... Buffalo Bills territory. I've been getting ranked on since I got here. I have been very surprised by 2 things. First, of all the years of us losing to them, the Bills fans are still stuck on our victories over them in the playoffs. Second, there are a lot of Bengals fans in Rochester. There aren't many Bills fans there because they don't particularly like Buffalo, but I don't know what made them decide on the Bengals.

There is already one more Bengals fan where I work, ( her sister lives in Cincy and is a big fan ) and there are a couple of people that keep asking about them. They are definitely over their "thanks for TKO" phase. (thank god)

I'm not as far away as you are, so I'm still able to make it down for Bengals and Reds games. It always feels great to be able to wear my jacket ... jersey ... etc and not hear BENGALS ???????.

Surprisingly, I really started getting positive comments after the Bengals played here. A lot of people told me while talking about the game that the Bengals should have won. That's a major step for people who as a group were shocked that they lost in KC, and started the season believing that they had the inside track on the Super Bowl.

As to the bandwagon, you'll notice a few new names around here already. Don't know how many are new fans or are like me old fans who just got on the internet. Doesn't matter though. The more the merrier. Next time you're feeling like the Lone Ranger though, you can know you're not alone.

PS There is a very real and active anti Bengal tilt in the news here. Buffalo newspapers and tv sportscasters never miss a chance to take a shot at the Bengals. Do you find the same thing where you are ???? Just wondering if its because we're closer or if its like that everywhere.

The local radio guys actually didn't say much about the Bengals after the game. They mostly smacked the Cards around for showing absolutlely zero progress. The Bengals should have won that game but they could never get into the flow. Kitna didn't throw a good ball that day.

Since the week before the KC game they've been talking about the Bengals. Mostly it was "how stupid is Chad Johnson? These guys are going to get punked. Chad Johnson is nobody. KC is great, blah, blah, blah...." It's been a different tune since Sunday. I don't take the local paper, so I have no idea what they're saying.

Damn, it's great getting all the attention, but I hope it's not too much too soon. I just keep saying - don't wake me, I'm dreaming!

Isn't it nice to hear CD change his tune. It's amazing what winning will do. Hey, we got room on that wagon for Corey? Whatever - we can sure use a guy with his talent. But no more chances!

redsfan2-

I'm an old fan that just found this site. I've spent a lot of time on Notre Dame boards the last three years, and I'm sick of the negativity.

I thought I'd try to find some people to talk Bengals with, figuring there might be some out there now. Nice to see a good amount of activity out here.

I live in Chicago (you prob. guessed) and the media has been fairly good to the Bengals (imo) this season. I have a feeling though that if the Bears were in first, they'd be singing a different tune and taking their shots. This is the king of all bandwagon towns (I hate the Cubs more than anything).

Bengals Nation is living proud in Chicago.

Here in LA I've found a very small conglomeration of fans. I'm at the bar every Sunday (usually 10 AM b/c we have the early games), and I started out alone. Found another fan in week 3 and 2 more in about week 6 or 7.

Problem is, LA is not a big football town period. See: Raiders and Rams.

Wagon jumpers will continue to abound, I'm sure, as Marvin tries to build us into a perennial contender. It's a hell of a start in the Lewis-era.

Randomly, I was arguing with a guy capping on the Bengals recently. A true dolt lacking any knowledge, just knowing the Bengals have been long-suffering. Had to laugh it off, though, when he revealed he's from Detroit and backs the Lions and Tigers.

Lions are bad enough, but the TIGERS???!!!!

I've spent a lot of time on Notre Dame boards

Notre Dame? ugh. ;) (Virginia Tech man myself)

Wagon jumpers will continue to abound, I'm sure, as Marvin tries to build us into a perennial contender. It's a hell of a start in the Lewis-era.

Who would have thought that would be a problem after 2-14 last year?

Lions are bad enough, but the TIGERS???!!!!

Yeah, the Tigers are pretty rough...the American League Reds (ducks and runs)

And the Lions are this decades version of last decades Bengals.

Sorry for the offhand comments guys...I think I miss the KC trolls

As to the bandwagon, you'll notice a few new names around here already. Don't know how many are new fans or are like me old fans who just got on the internet. Doesn't matter though. The more the merrier.

Old fan. Old to the internet. New to talking about the Bengals on the internet. I grew up in Kentucky, but home sweet home is now in south Texas. Down here, the Bengals coverage is about the same as the coverage by the national media. In these parts, if the story doesn't have something to do with the Cowboys, it's not worth telling. Although, the Texans are now starting to gain a little here and there by picking up former Oiler fans and the anti-Cowboy fans.

Anyway, it's great to have some football to talk about in November. Typically, I've already bolted to basketball season by now since the Bengals are usually mathematically out of it by this time of year. Will wonders never cease?

I live in Richmond KY about 110 miles south of cincy. No local radio carries all of the bengal games. Ever since couch went to cleveland the broadcasters have telecast brown's (!@$#%$$) games at every opportuinty. I recall not getting a local tv feed (an away game) at least twice over the past few years. Even this year their broadcast on radio is unreliable.

It's a sad state the franchise is in, winning should cure it all.

It's a sad state the franchise is in, winning should cure it all.

Unfortunately, it's gonna take winning several years in a row to really get over the national media bias. Remember that last year a few people were picking the Bengals to make the playoffs...We get an ESPN game and what happens? But when the Bengals win the AFC North the networks will have no choice but to show more games, so that means I get to see them again!!! WOOHOO!...But it doesn't help when they are a small market team with a history of being bad. But as we have already seen, the bandwagon gets crowded pretty damn quickly