Lopez is the SS of the future.

Kirkendall

Never thought I'd see this article in the Cincy Enquirer...

Barry Larkin was right all along. He said last year that Felipe Lopez was his heir apparent at shortstop. Despite some trials and tribulations for Larkin's 24-year-old Puerto Rican-born protege, the mentor has been proven correct.

That probably says something about Larkin and Lopez, i.e., that Lopez deserves to play shortstop next year, not third base, and that Larkin's evaluative abilities could be utilized in the Reds front office, be it next year or the year after.

"I would like to play shortstop, sure," Lopez said. "All shortstops want to play shortstop. But I am equally comfortable at third base. Right now, I am just taking it day-by-day. I just want to finish strong."

Lopez would be one of four position players age 25 or younger next season. Three of those players made major strides this season (Lopez, Wily Mo Pena and Adam Dunn) and a fourth has already proven he can play but needs to get healthy (Austin Kearns).

Lopez went 1-for-4 Sunday in the Reds' 5-1 loss to the Cubs before a sellout crowd at Great American Ball Park. That hit - a key double to the left-center field wall to lead off the seventh inning and ultimately give the Reds a 1-0 lead in the pitchers' duel between Paul Wilson and Glendon Rusch - kept Lopez's average at .250. In the 48 games since Lopez was recalled from Triple-A Louisville on July 26, he is hitting .277 (45-for-162).

Given Lopez's fielding abilities and his pop at the plate (he has six home runs), .277 is plenty, because the consensus is that he will continue to improve as a hitter. He has already shown the ability to hit in the clutch, and that never goes away. Some guys have got it, some do not.

But the play in the field that Lopez made to open the eighth inning is what made some eyes pop. Wilson was rolling along, but he was getting into that mid-90s range on his pitch count where troubles can arise. Sammy Sosa bounced Wilson's 93rd pitch deep to Lopez's glove side, and Lopez ranged almost behind second base to spear it and then do a 360-degree spin move with a strong strike throw to Sean Casey at first base to nail Sosa.

"That is a huge lift for a pitcher right there, especially at that point in the game," Wilson said. "You need outs and you do not want to be throwing (a lot of pitches) to get them."

The great play by Lopez was not quite enough - the Cubs' Todd Walker singled up the middle and Michael Barrett doubled into the left-field corner and pinch-hitter Ben Grieve sacrifice-flied pinch runner Calvin Murray home to tie the game - but in the future, as the Reds improve, a play like that figures to be a difference-maker.

"I feel really comfortable at shortstop," Lopez said. "But, like I said, I feel comfortable at third base, too. It is all in whatever the club wants. I will play wherever they want me to play."

Reds general manager Dan O'Brien plays these personnel matters close to the vest, but the belief within the clubhouse is that he may target a short-term free agent third baseman with some pop to man the position until Edwin Encarnacion (Double A) is ready to take over full time in 2006.

The Reds have some other guys who can play third (Ryan Freel, Juan Castro) and Larkin is a possibility to play there some, should he return. Converting right fielder Austin Kearns to third is probably a long shot, given his need to get healthy and re-establish himself as an everyday player.

"I try to do my job, and let those other things take care of themselves," Lopez said. "But, yes, I am trying to make their decision easier by showing them they can count on me, that I am not somebody they have to worry about. That is what working on my throws and the routine plays are all about. It is not enough to make the spectacular plays. You have to make the routine plays automatic. When you do that, they know they count on you."

Short and sweet

The Reds have had only three regular shortstops in the last 41 years - Leo Cardenas, Dave Concepcion and Barry Larkin. Only four times during that span has another player started on Opening Day. Here's a look:

1963-1968: Leo Cardenas

1969: Woody Woodward

1970-1986: Dave Concepcion (Frank Duffy in 1971; Darrel Chaney in 1973)

1987-present: Barry Larkin (Pokey Reese in 1998)

The biggest surprise to me in that article was the sellout at Great American. I can't believe they're still selling the place out this season. I'm assuming the Cubs' wild-card chase had a lot to do with that.

It's funny how they mention the reds have all these young prospects that they've been developing and that should be promising...yet none of them are pitchers. Go figure.

The biggest surprise to me in that article was the sellout at Great American. I can't believe they're still selling the place out this season. I'm assuming the Cubs' wild-card chase had a lot to do with that.

This weekend was Oktoberfest and a few hours after the Reds game was the Bengals game. I'm sure a lot of people going to the Bengals were downtown all day and took in a Reds game.

Cincy had a pretty busy weekend.

Plus a very LARGE number of those fans were of the Cub persuasion.

Almost like an away game for the Reds.

Pretty Good American BallPark could be considered "Wrigley South" then???

It sort of reminds me of what the Squeeler Fans think of PBS Stadium:

Heinz Field South.

Watching the Saturday game on WGN and the Idiots 2 were talking about it being Wrigley SE, when they showed a pic of the Bleacher area and someone had hung Wrigley shaped sign on the wall that said Wrigley SE, the away home of the Cubs...

Here's to making PBS the Jungle again when 'cower' and the Squeelers come to town.