USC v. Virginia Tech

EdwardG

First things first, the Bengals start at 7 p.m., while the USC game starts at 7:45. I'm going to need both of my TV's blaring so I don't miss any action.

Second, USC is favored by about 17.5 points. Many people don't think they will cover because their offense keeps losing players. Mike Williams and Keary Colbert have been replaced by Steve Smith and ... Chris McFoy? USC also breaks in a new offensive line.

Virginia Tech, however, is quite young outside of senior QB Bryan Randall. It's hard to imagine them doing a lot against what should be an outstanding USC defense. My gut says USC controls the game, but Va Tech forces a turnover or two to keep things interesting.

Final score: USC 24, Va Tech 10.

You called, and I'm here.....

24-10....nice, but I don't think they have any answer for the speed and power combo of Lendale White and Reggie Bush... 31-7. These games are always blowouts from some strange reason, and lord forbid the blowout isn't in favor of the men of Troy!!!!

I will say this though, Bryan Randall scars me a heck of a lot more than Marcus Vick did. I've seen Randall play good against some good defenses in the Big east over the past couple of years, ie Miami and West Virginia...

I really wish the NCAA would get off their keysters and let big Mike assume his position at the opposite end of a Matt Leinart TD dart.

Bring on Saturday already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am expecting the play calling to go a lot like last year.... first couple of games were run-heavy due to Leinart's inexperience, and the experience of the offensive line and Herschel Dennis. Then at about game 3 or 4 he really turned Leinart and the passing game loose...

They should be run heavy early this year due to their relative inexperience at offensive line and WR, so Bush and White should be prepared to be thunder and Lightning, until Chow feels comfortable that Leinart has a good rapport w/ Smith and Co. It is much easier for an inexperienced o-line to run block than pass protect, since in the passing game the players have to be in better sync to to react as opposed to just attacking...

I think that's the whole point to Matt Leinarts' Heisman campaign. - Can he duplicate last years' success with less experienced receivers ? - But don't sleep on the kid Smith, - He made quite a few nice grabs last year, and was probably the third best WR on the team. - Also they have a 6'6 tight end, that can't be covered by a linebacker either, so offensively with Reggie Bush , they should still put up 30+ points rather easily.

* Keys to the game - How healthy can USC defensive studs remain after 60 minutes.?

i.e.

1. Shaun Cody - moved back to DT, but has had injury concerns

2. Matt Grotegood- How healthy is he, and can he be a finalist for the Butkus award ?

- Offensive line speaking, they're huge, everyone on the line is 300 + so running shouldn't be a problem against VA-Techs' smaller front seven.

USC has been listening to the hype too much...VT is an awsome team early in the year (they choke late, not early) VT in a nailbiter 24-21.

Go Hokies

Williams has been ruled ineligible! <_<

This is a bunch of BS. The kid should be able to play. The effed him badly. :angry:

Why? He did something he wasn't allowed to do, and that's hire an agent. He could and should have waited to see if he was gonna get drafted. Let's face it folks, there was a legal battle going on at the time, everyone knew the NFL was trying to fight it, but the kid got swayed by the money the agent was flashing, to training at a top facility that was offered (and used) so yeah, he broke the rules....If they don't let the kid that wants his snowboarding endoresment have it, they have no right to let Williams play.

Should Williams feel a bit jobbed? Yes, but blame the little brat from Ohio State that caused all the fuss to begin with.....

This is a bunch of BS.  The kid should be able to play.  The effed him badly. :angry:

Why? He did something he wasn't allowed to do, and that's hire an agent. He could and should have waited to see if he was gonna get drafted. Let's face it folks, there was a legal battle going on at the time, everyone knew the NFL was trying to fight it, but the kid got swayed by the money the agent was flashing, to training at a top facility that was offered (and used) so yeah, he broke the rules....If they don't let the kid that wants his snowboarding endoresment have it, they have no right to let Williams play.

Should Williams feel a bit jobbed? Yes, but blame the little brat from Ohio State that caused all the fuss to begin with.....

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here Kevnz, ( as if that's something new ) :lol: , but Williams and his Family were led to believe that if they put themselves back in a position of eligibilty all would be forgotten. ONLY now has the NCAA after 3 months of " no comment " gone out and made this decision.

- What the Williams kid was told from the NCAA after the Appeal was won.

1. We (NCAA) have a problem with you missing classes you need to rectify this before a decision was made.

- solution: go back to school pass the 3 classes that were hanging before Fall Semester starts.

Williams passed all 3 classes.

2. We ( NCAA) will not waiver about the signing with Agents, so any profit made from said signing must be returned.

solution: - Williams returns all fronted moneys' and endorsements to said clients.

3. A decision about your eligibility will be made before the start of the College Football season if requirements are made by Mike Williams.

solution: Williams kept his mouth shut, didn't speak to the press, and yet still didn't find out from the NCAA about the decision from the NCAA, but rather through his coach Pete Carroll. 3 days before Kick off Classic !!

- As the saying goes, " We got Hosed " has to apply here. The NCAA in it's reply to the outcry from the decision even admitted to their being an " agreement " in place to determine his eligiblity, but they chose to deny based upon them not willing to forgive him signing with an agent.

- There is a common standard, and it's called " There is an exception to every rule " . However the NCAA is run by people that were obviously born during the Crusades and Middle Ages. No organization is as blissfully hypocritical as the NCAA.

ON one hand they say , scholarship athletes can't hold jobs , and then promote the licensing of the athletes uniforms.

On one hand they say , Don't sign with agents, let alone talk with them during your required time of eligiblity, but it's the NCAA that sets up the prospective draftable athletes with " Pro-Scouts " that give them a value rating which basically equalls out to How much income they can expect to make at the professional ranks.

- Until the NCAA gets their head out of their asses and joins the 21st. Century, there will be plenty more Mike Williams' and Blooms'.

This is a bunch of BS.  The kid should be able to play.  The effed him badly. :angry:

I'm with you Chris. The ncaa really screwed this one up. :angry:

I dunno. Williams definitely gave the big FU to the NCAA by declaring for the draft. Then the NFL won the lawsuit and kept Williams out. If anything, Williams beef is with the NFL, and there is little reason the NCAA should change its rules to accomodate someone who clearly doesn't even want to be in college.