Yards Per Pass.

richmond_mat

Yards per pass is the most important QB stat there is, arguably anyway. Anything above 7 is very good.

Palmer threw 8 passes netting 74 yards giving him a very impressive 9.25 YPP. This was the highest of all QB's in the game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20040816_CIN@TB

Meanwhile Kitna threw 15 passes for 54 yards giving him a bench warming 3.61 YPP.

This makes me trust coach Lewis even more. :)

Note:

Simms threw 15 passes for 110 yards giving him a 7.3 YPP.

This was on ESPN's Page 2 recently regarding rookie quarterbacks and which ones have been the most successful in their first season. They ranked Bengal Greg Cook number 1 for his rookie season in 1969. He averaged 9.41 yards per attempt which is the best ever for a rookie.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=list/rookieqbs

I would agree that it is an important stat, but not in an exhibition game where Palmer doesn't play the entire game and only throws eight passes. Without his one 42 yard pass to Johnson his average yard per pass is something like four! It's a more impressive stat when you can sustain that high average over the course of an entire game or season.

This was on ESPN's Page 2 recently regarding rookie quarterbacks and which ones have been the most successful in their first season. They ranked Bengal Greg Cook number 1 for his rookie season in 1969. He averaged 9.41 yards per attempt which is the best ever for a rookie.

That's an interesting article JJ. Big surprise that the steelers cut Johnny Unitas! :huh:

Maybe Palmer can put up a season long 9+ ypp.

I would agree that it is an important stat, but not in an exhibition game where Palmer doesn't play the entire game and only throws eight passes. Without his one 42 yard pass to Johnson his average yard per pass is something like four! It's a more impressive stat when you can sustain that high average over the course of an entire game or season.

I agree that it is just one component of the whole package but if TJ and Chad catch the passes they missed, that average might be 15 or 20.

Meanwhile Kitna threw 15 passes for 54 yards giving him a bench warming 3.61 YPP.

Having the 2nd and 3rd team receivers who were out of place more times than not with less than average lineman didn't help either.. did it? ^_^

I'm not ragging on Kitna, just giving Palmer props. I missed the game too :( so all I have are the stats.

I was not a fan of kitna's demotion, but I've let it go and am cheering for the new kid. :D

While he looks sharp on those longer passes, he needs to learn how to hit that short crossing route. He either misses his receiver or throws it too hard.

There's no such thing as throwing the ball too hard. <_<

If it goes through the receivers hands then the receiver should have caught it!

Doesn't anyone remember how hard Boomer threw the ball? I recall Eddie Brown's amazement at how his hands would hurt :lol: But he got used to it and caught those hummers. If you want to split the D the rock better be screaming. :blink:

Yards per pass is the most important QB stat there is, arguably anyway.

Although YPA is a very good indicator of a QB's ability to move the team up and down the field, TD to interception ratio is by far a more important stat for a QB.

Totals yards means squat if you don't put points on the board (that is where YPA can be mis-leading) and your surely don't want you QB turning the ball over with picks.

This was on ESPN's Page 2 recently regarding rookie quarterbacks and which ones have been the most successful in their first season.  They ranked Bengal Greg Cook number 1 for his rookie season in 1969.  He averaged 9.41 yards per attempt which is the best ever for a rookie.

I don't know how many people here are old enough to remember him.

But Greg Cook was Awsome....

Yards per pass is the most important QB stat there is, arguably anyway.

Although YPA is a very good indicator of a QB's ability to move the team up and down the field, TD to interception ratio is by far a more important stat for a QB.

Totals yards means squat if you don't put points on the board (that is where YPA can be mis-leading) and your surely don't want you QB turning the ball over with picks.

I'm talking about a quick and easy to compute stat. YPA overlooks incompletions! YPP does not. (yards per PASS) Yards per attempt is completely meaningless. <_<

Of course a more involved stat is a better indicator, one that take both TDs and INTs into account. Not to mention sacks or the lack there of (somehow measure the ability to get rid of the ball). Sacks should go into passing numbers since a pass was being attempted when the sack occured. There is a stat that does all of this but I cannot think of its name or the formula. (I'll work on it though. I believe Allen Barra has one like this.)

If you want something simple then YPP is a good one. :player:

If it goes through the receivers hands then the receiver should have caught it!

Not really. Carson Palmer has a very strong arm, and he can't simply fire a fastball at someone 5 yards away. Those balls are difficult to catch, and passes that are difficult to catch often aren't caught.

Having the 2nd and 3rd team receivers who were out of place more times than not with less than average lineman didn't help either.. did it? ^_^

I'm not ragging on Kitna, just giving Palmer props. I missed the game too :( so all I have are the stats.

I was not a fan of kitna's demotion, but I've let it go and am cheering for the new kid. :D

It's good that you're not trashing Kitna, because I thought he gave one of the most impressive character performances that I've seen in a while. The best thing for the team was to do just what he did - run the ball, burn the clock, and preserve the blowout while avoiding turnovers and avoiding injuries. He must have been tempted to try to make himself look better, but he didn't. Try to imagine Kurt Warner or Tommy Maddox doing the same thing under the same circumstances. The Bengals are lucky to have a guy like him, who has smarts and skills and believes that he can play, but who also has his ego in check, and is apparently willing to embrace the role that he's been given.

Sunday, August 22, 2004

QB Palmer on the mark

Starting quarterback Carson Palmer threw touchdown passes from 13, 9 and 9 yards and had a passer rating of 133.6 in the first half. He was 12-for-19 passing for 179 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

I think those numbers pretty much speak for themselves. And that is without PW. Sure the kid is going to have a few ups and downs this year which is expected, but I honestly look for more UPs. After all, nothing would do my heart good to have Carson and My bengals get to come to Jacksonville Florida for the SuperBowl and I get to smear alittle bit of bengal cheer into all these Jaguar Fans faces down here.....Go Bengals.....Make Us Proud.