NFL $$

combatbengal

If they work all the games then they would get the pay- from what i heard the NFL wanted to have some 'revolving' crews so if your a ref you may not work all 16 games in a season, kind of cuts into that total little by little.

On a side note IMHO I think the NFL needs to lock these guys up all year and forget the secondary jobs they have. In the off-season (which wants you count in preseason is not even that long anymore) the NFL could have these refs go around and do camps for upcoming refs, give seminars on safety and such at colleges and high schools- whole variety of things they could do.

If they work all the games then they would get the pay- from what i heard the NFL wanted to have some 'revolving' crews so if your a ref you may not work all 16 games in a season, kind of cuts into that total little by little.

On a side note IMHO I think the NFL needs to lock these guys up all year and forget the secondary jobs they have. In the off-season (which wants you count in preseason is not even that long anymore) the NFL could have these refs go around and do camps for upcoming refs, give seminars on safety and such at colleges and high schools- whole variety of things they could do.

I totally agree that these refs should be paid a reasonable salary and be full time employees. This whole bit of selling insurance or being part-time attorneys during the off season is ridiculous and, frankly, quite bush league for a billion dollar enterprise. Moreover, it provides more in-roads for somebody to get at them (ie owing or being owed $$ or having some potential conflict of interest). With the awkward co-existence of the league with gambling, they should keep these guys busy on NFL business year round. It would still be an awesome job with a fairly long and mellow period of semi-employment. Kinda like being a teacher - only being paid above the poverty line.