Should the Reds go after Oswalt ??

ArmyBengal

With the newest rumors now saying the Reds have more than a passing interest in Oswalt, i'm wondering how it would all go down. According to the report below, the Reds would have to move another player with the thought it would be Bailey. As much as i'm not a huge fan of Bailey and always thought he has been more hype than anything, I think this is kind of risky unless they can get something to build on with the trade of Bailey.

The Cincinnati Reds have jumped into the Roy Oswalt derby, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. On Saturday, it was rumored that the Reds had kicked the tires on Oswalt but it now appears their interest is more than just tire kicking. For the Reds to make the deal work though, they would have to move some salary with the likely trade candidate being Homer Bailey and his $2.425mm deal. Oswalt has received interest from the Cardinals, Rangers, Red Sox and Tigers, with the Cardinals and Rangers being viewed as the favorites. In 2011, Oswalt went 9-10 while posting a 3.69 era in 139 innings with the Phillies.

/>http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/reds_jump_into_the_oswalt_derby/9801892

With the newest rumors now saying the Reds have more than a passing interest in Oswalt, i'm wondering how it would all go down. According to the report below, the Reds would have to move another player with the thought it would be Bailey. As much as i'm not a huge fan of Bailey and always thought he has been more hype than anything, I think this is kind of risky unless they can get something to build on with the trade of Bailey.

The Cincinnati Reds have jumped into the Roy Oswalt derby, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. On Saturday, it was rumored that the Reds had kicked the tires on Oswalt but it now appears their interest is more than just tire kicking. For the Reds to make the deal work though, they would have to move some salary with the likely trade candidate being Homer Bailey and his $2.425mm deal. Oswalt has received interest from the Cardinals, Rangers, Red Sox and Tigers, with the Cardinals and Rangers being viewed as the favorites. In 2011, Oswalt went 9-10 while posting a 3.69 era in 139 innings with the Phillies.

/>http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/reds_jump_into_the_oswalt_derby/9801892

I dont think Bailey is much of a drop-off from Oswalt at this point in time. Bailey is still a young arm, Oswalt has seen his best days pass him by. I dont really care either way, but it seems smarter to keep the younger arm with potential to get better, than to get an old arm that will probably slowly get worse.

Yeah, I think Oswalt has dropped off as well and he made an assload of money last season.

If the price remains high, I have even less interest in him.

Like I said, I have never been a real fan of Bailey, but he is young.

If the price is right on Oswalt AND they can find a way to get something back for Bailey I would be good.

The team has given up a bunch of young talent lately in the deals they have made.

Too old and past it I think we are gonna have a very good starting pitching staff.

Cueto

Latos

Arroyo - if he can produce better than last year

bailey

Chapman - if he works his control issues out otherwise he's bullpen bound

I dont see Chapman as a starter this year, I think Francis or Leak will be the 5th starter this year. Hopefully Arroyo can bounce back, he is a big ? after last season.

Yeah I think Leake is certainly in the mix as well. Maybe Chapman can figure it our more come this spring, but i'm thinking they keep him in the same role for at least another season.

At the end of last season, Jockety said very definitively that they had starting rotation plans for him this season.

We shall see...