SportsCenter Not the Same

Kirkendall

A good Sporting News article about the current SportsCenter which I've been bitching about for the past few years.

Crotchety/jealous media rivals aren't the only ones saying SportsCenter ain't what it was. Rewind to the All-Star postgame July 13, when a satellite-switcher malfunction permitted some viewers to hear what was supposed to be a scrambled private conversation on Baseball Tonight's dark set. There was Harold Reynolds, moaning that Shaq trade talk was the lead on SportsCenter -- on the night of the pastime's midsummer classic? -- and Chris Berman, icon of The Worldwide Leader past and present, reverberating, "Now you know why I don't watch our show anymore." Ouch, baby.

Does perception equal reality? SC reigns supreme in the sports information age, right through 12 straight quarters of ratings growth. But notice ESPN doesn't try to attract new eyeballs by marketing its journalistic triumphs. Instead, it's frappucinoing news with in-show concerts by Alanis Morissette during "Music and Sports Week." See also Mr. Dream Job winner, the smirking Mike Hall, putting his muddy feet on the new million-dollar anchor desk in preparation for his next assignment: SC's first international correspondent. Mmmph.

Nostalgians shouldn't miss "Old School Week," SportsCenter's August publicity stunt, with alums guest-reading the TelePrompTer -- Greg Gumbel, Craig Kilborn, George Grande, Gayle Gardner, Charley Steiner ... but not Keith Olbermann. Imagine the liability potential of him making a State of the Franchise address.

Vital stat: The ultimate video of Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s fiery practice-lap crash -- spectacular, and no fatalities -- merited 1 minute, 58 seconds that night on ESPN, but 2:17 on ABC's World News Tonight.

and Chris Berman, icon of The Worldwide Leader past and present, reverberating, "Now you know why I don't watch our show anymore." Ouch, baby.

Ouch...That's gotta hurt.

I miss sportscenter...They have sportscenter hear, but sometimes it's Australians :ph34r: and besides, I don't have ESPN at home....But I'm going to stay out at my in-laws for almost three weeks ( I'm house sitting) So I'll have to see what how badly it's slipped.