The Salary Floor

kevnz

Guard is almost a MUST HAVE in free agency in my eyes.

I'd expand that and say about any O-line (hell probably any D-line too) is a must have. Outside of Whit I'd say the entire line needs an upgrade.

While they could always stand to upgrade most positions, if you had to place a priority on the o-line and d-line positions to target in FA, Guard would hands down be the #1 spot to consider. While Cook is better than Ghiaciuc, that's like saying getting slapped in the face is better than getting punched in the face. Both suck, but one just sucks less.

La Canfora went on to say that teams like Cincy won't be heavily impacted by a salary floor precisely because their spending habits don't change from year to year.

I never said they would. But there is no "business as usual" this year. Normally, they have months to get all of this done, meaning the can afford to have a small organization that moves glacially. Now they are facing a free agent free-for-all.

No, I don't think they are. Rather than facing a free-for-all that demands a near endless series of rapid fire decision making I see the Bengals sitting in a very familiar position. I see them with a ton of cap room that will disappear very quickly if the Bengals priorities are met, and none of those priorities seem different from years past. They're primary target in this years free agency is, just as in past years, one of their own star players. And in regards to adding outside help, once again they're rumored to be targeting a single position.

Furthermore, I'm not expecting the Bengals to change their "glacial" ways....even if a salary floor dictates they spend a predetermined amount. Instead, I'd expect to see a repeat of past spending habits, including a strategy based upon deliberately staying out of the FA spending spree until the market cools.

The less they need to look at spending, the easier it would be to prioritize things, so having Carson come back would be helpful.

True, but determining what happens with Jonathan Joseph is of far greater immediate concern....and opportunity.