June, 17, 2010

Jun 17

9:59

PM ET

* Email

* Print

* Comments6

By James Walker

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Thursday that free-agent safety Ken Hamlin agreed to terms with the Baltimore Ravens.

[+] EnlargeKen Hamlin

Scott Boehm/Getty ImagesFormer Dallas safety Ken Hamlin signed a one-year contract with Baltimore.

Hamlin later confirmed the move and checked in with ESPN.com's AFC North blog to share his thoughts on joining the Ravens.

Ken, you had interest from several teams. How important was it to go to a situation where you feel you can compete for a championship?

Ken Hamlin: It was definitely important. The idea is to build for a championship. I think this team has done a great job of being in the running to be one of those teams competing for a championship for years. The additions that they made this offseason shows they want to go an extra step further. I think that's important for them, and it was important for me to be a part of this team.

For those in Baltimore who haven't seen you play, what does Ken Hamlin bring to the Ravens?

Hamlin: I definitely know the game. I'm a leader in my own respect. I don't just lead by talking; I try to lead by example. I'm going to go out there and play hard on every snap.

What are your thoughts on playing next to safety Ed Reed?

Hamlin: Well, Ed is definitely at the top of his game. He really is the signature of what an [ideal] safety is like right now -- making big plays and turning over big plays into points. Being able to play with him on the same team and learning the things he does and how he makes those plays is huge.

Any hard feelings being released by the Dallas Cowboys?

Hamlin: It's no hard feelings. I enjoyed the time that I was there. I definitely had fun. I enjoyed the fans, I enjoyed the team, and I enjoyed my teammates. That's one thing in this business: You can't really get too comfortable because it's always business decisions being made out there. You can't lose respect for the team or the players from that, because I loved being there.