Dez Bryant Interview Question

Mike Ditka thinks so:

/>http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/04/mike-ditka-dolphins-gm-jeff-ireland-completely-out-of-line-asking-dez-bryant-if-his-mother-was-a-prostitute/1

Former Bears and Saints head coach Mike Ditka said Tuesday it was completely inappropriate for Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland to ask Cowboys WR Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute during a pre-draft interview.

"I think the individual who asked that question," Ditka told 790 AM radio in Miami about Ireland, "somebody ought to whack him in the head. You don't ask that question."

Ireland apologized on Tuesday for the aggressive questioning of Bryant, who Ireland said accepted his apology. Bryant, drafted 24th overall by Dallas, had a troubled youth and his mother spent time in prison while he was a boy.

"What are you going to confront a young man with that situation for?" Ditka said. "He probably loves his mother no matter what she is or who she is."

Bryant said he restrained his anger when the question was asked. Ditka said he would not have blamed Bryant if he had tried to hit Ireland upon hearing the question.

Ditka said it's fair to ask players questions about their background, but he said the question about Bryant's mother crossed the line.

"I want to know what kind of character that individual has," Ditka said. "That's what I want to know. I want to know if he is a stand up guy. Will he get in the foxhole with me and stay in that foxhole until the battle's over. -- Sean Leahy

Hat tip: Sports Radio Interviews