Starting to think OL with 1st pick

walzav29

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bengals have to get better and better at the O-Line. it helps everything. It's not sexy, but they can grab a wr in the later rounds. I'm thinking the best guard available. It really depends on who's there @ 21.

I'm pimpin' Mike Iupati...I think we have our bookends for the next 5 years at least.

I think we should wait for the 2nd round to draft a WR unless Dez Bryant falls. I'm thinking someone like Dezmon Briscoe, Mardy Gilyard, or Demaryius Thomas

I think the Bengals have to get better and better at the O-Line. it helps everything. It's not sexy, but they can grab a wr in the later rounds. I'm thinking the best guard available. It really depends on who's there @ 21.

I'm pimpin' Mike Iupati...I think we have our bookends for the next 5 years at least.

I think we should wait for the 2nd round to draft a WR unless Dez Bryant falls. I'm thinking someone like Dezmon Briscoe, Mardy Gilyard, or Demaryius Thomas

Idk... You can get a quality guard in the 2nd or 3rd round... (Steinbach, Bobbie williams) We should get the best avsilsble player... Prefferably a WR. A big threat i sat williams from USC. Or if a playmaking safety like earl thomas is still there get him. We just gotta hope someone is left who can help us win games

Well, when you consider that the Jets have 4 (that right... FOUR!!!) 1st round picks in their O-Line... it's no wonder that they are the #1 ranked rushing defense.

The Bengals have only one taken in the 1st round (A. Smith)... and he didn't start this year. Whit and Bobbie were both 2nd round picks... but Bobbie might be leaving. That would leave the entire interior O-Line with guys who started on the practice squad. Hard workers? Sure... but it would be nice to have at least one guy with the type of natural ability to be a day-1 draft pick.

I would not complain in the least if they drafted for the O-Line in the first round, and will be a little pissed if they don't address it in one of the first 2 rounds.

Aside from QB, RB, C, and maybe Tackle....I don't think you can go wrong with any offensive position player in the 1st round. Improve the pass protection should be a consideration if we do go OL in round 1.

Bobbie allowed more sacks than anyone other than Roland this season.

I'm not exactly pimping Iupati just yet... because at 21, it might be a bit of a reach... but having him at RG and A. Smith at RT could make Cedric Benson and MVP candidate. And frankly, I'm not sure there is anything on this team (including WR) that needs to be addressed more than the interior O-Line.

I'd be okay with a Guard aslong as Mays or Thomas ain't on the Board (I'd say Dez but he never will be)

In Bobbies Defense Roland wasn't a every down player,But I don't really see why people were so high on Bobbie leadership is superb but I thought Playwise this was his worst year with us(maybe it was because Right Tackle play was bad)...I Still Support keeping Mathis & don't get the hate on him because what I did see of his blocking he did impact plays and hardly got beat (though there were a few where he got blown up) But I'd say He did as good of a Job as Cook & Whitworth. Hence why we were so successful running to the left side because of the 3 of them as a whole.

Aside from QB, RB, C, and maybe Tackle....I don't think you can go wrong with any offensive position player in the 1st round. Improve the pass protection should be a consideration if we do go OL in round 1.

I'm not exactly pimping Iupati just yet... because at 21, it might be a bit of a reach... but having him at RG and A. Smith at RT could make Cedric Benson and MVP candidate. And frankly, I'm not sure there is anything on this team (including WR) that needs to be addressed more than the interior O-Line.

You guys are smart, I was thinking the same thing they need someone else on that offensive line. Bobbie is getting long in the tooth, they will miss his leadership in the locker room but not all of the off sides on the field. I don't think the offensive line was near as bad as some of us make it out to be, I thought it was actually one of the better lines in the league not top 5 but somewhere in that 10-15 range. They need to implement some type of drill to get all of those off sides down. It's going to be very interesting to see what we do to shore up that wide receiver position.

I've been pimping Iupati HARD, have him in my mock at the #21 spot and don't care if he is a reach. I don't think people understand just how POOR the pass protection was this past season and his run blocking is also top notch. Now that's not to say it's a MUST HAVE pick in the first, because if one of the safeties fall or a WR that is to good to pass on, then you go get Mike Johnson from Alabama in the 2nd and move up if you have to in order to get it done.

You can't really go wrong with a pick on the o-line in the first. Sexy or not, it wouldn't be wrong.

The WEAKEST spot on this team, for whatever the reason, was WR, followed right by safety and TE.

There will be a very good one of the above there at 21.

If folks are sour on Bobbie (I am one of them), then you must first consider we have the right guys ready and in place.

Whit - Livings - Cook - Mathis - Smith

Collins - Whit - Luigs - Livings/Luigs - Roland

We also have Santucci and Shirley to develop.

The other critical spot to upgrade is on the D-line. We ended up with Harris and Shaun Smith on the active roster due to injuries. Gotta have better depth than that.

So I don't feel taking a G, or any other O-lineman, in r1 is necessary or smart. Other areas require greater and more crucial improvement.

ONe of the following will drop:

Dez Bryant

Taylor Mays

Carlos Dunlap

Brian Price

I've been pimping Iupati HARD, have him in my mock at the #21 spot and don't care if he is a reach. I don't think people understand just how POOR the pass protection was this past season and his run blocking is also top notch. Now that's not to say it's a MUST HAVE pick in the first, because if one of the safeties fall or a WR that is to good to pass on, then you go get Mike Johnson from Alabama in the 2nd and move up if you have to in order to get it done.

You can't really go wrong with a pick on the o-line in the first. Sexy or not, it wouldn't be wrong.

Being Guard has been my 1# need for quite some time have no problem with Iupati at 21...Aslong as stated before it's over Mays which is mainly cause man love but I'd say Guard in 2nd or 3rd round then.

The WEAKEST spot on this team, for whatever the reason, was WR, followed right by safety and TE.

There will be a very good one of the above there at 21.

Weakest spot is WR but its hard to exspect a Rookie to produce...Though plenty of in recent years but most of them don't seem come in 1st round hehe Desean,Knoxx the Trio of Colt Wr's etc etc.

OL has a high value and a high payoff rate. Assuming that the OL that you pick isn't retarded, lazy, and morbidly obese (ahem), it's a good bet. I've learned not to complain about high picks spent judiciously on OL.

I've never particularly liked WR in the first round because the bust rate is so incredibly high. I'm not fond of S in the first either, simply because you end up wildly overpaying at a position where FAs are usually cheap.

You guys are smoking weed if you think Guard is one of this team's glaring needs-a need,yes,but at #21? The Bengals' WR position is a shambles-a big smoking hole of ruin which they have to address in this draft with at least two picks. The S position is a similar wreck, and that was horribly apparent in the last month of the season.No playmakers and no depth. We were starting an undrafted rookie and a 7th rounder. This team is in desperate need of premium talent in the middle of the secondary and is paying the price for consistently raiding the discount bin for safeties.This position has to be addressed in the 1st or 2d round.The third huge position need is TE. These 3 positions absolutely have to be given first consideration when the Bengals pick at #21.At WR,if Dez Bryant is still on the board (and there's a real possibility he could slide on draft day) he should be the pick. At this point, the only other WR I would consider is Golden Tate,and that only if he actually measures out at his listed height of 5'11". As for Safeties, it would be hard to pass on either Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays. Finally, providing their health checks out,the Bengals should think long and hard about Jermaine Gresham or Rob Gronkowski at TE. Only if none of these guys are available at #21 should the Bengals think about indulging in a luxury such as a 1st round guard. And then only if there is no outstanding pass rush guy available. Iupati is certainly a terrific guard prospect, but our O-line was a team strength last season. Yes, strength. And the pass protection was not as bad as some people make it out to be. A lot of the pressure on Palmer was due to the fact that Ocho Cinco was constantly doubled, the other WRs struggled to get separation and there was no big receiving TE who could use his size and strength to get open. Besides, Iupati is not not known as a great pass protector. In fact,rather than take Iupati at #21, I would explore the possibility of trading out of the 1st round.

You guys are smoking weed if you think Guard is one of this team's glaring needs-a need,yes,but at #21? The Bengals' WR position is a shambles-a big smoking hole of ruin which they have to address in this draft with at least two picks.

How is Guard less of a Need then Wide Receiver? Both we Have Aging Declining Vets and Younger Unprovens but Wide Receiver does have the Edge because Chad still produces...No one is really against Wide Receiver but its a matter of which one is on the Board vs a player on another position...Like if Dez Byrant is on the Board(which no way in hell he will be) I'm sure Everyone and their mother would Agree he would be the pick but when looking at 4th or 5th WR vs Taylor Mays,Earn Thomas or Mike Iupati to me it's a no Brainer to pass on WR in the 1st then Address it later...Not only that but makes it easier to justify spending Multiple picks on the Position encase one doesn't work out Ala Jerome Simpson..

PS,Hell I'd be okay with drafting up to 3 Wide Receivers :P just make sure we find some that Produces 2nd 4th & 7th rounder.

To start, there isn't a reason for people to get defensive about another members opinion. Second, it really doesn't matter what WE think in the least only what the coaches think about the players they currently have and where they are going with FA and the draft. Relax. I've stated time and time again, they could go in a whole bunch of directions with the first pick and NOT be wrong.

Guard... For everyone pimping a WR in the first I ask this. Was the WR position a bigger problem than the pass blocking ?? I saw it as about equal. The pass blocking was attrocious, but so were the drops from the WR's. Another question is, do you really think a rookie WR is going to be able to fix the problem with the WR corps in the same manner a rookie Guard will ?? I don't even think that one is close to be quite honest, but that's my opinion. Fix the pass protection, give Carson more time (like we all know he needs), and the WR's will improve.

WR... We need the speed threat we lost in Henry to make this offense more potent. It wasn't that Henry was all-world, he simply needed to be accoutned for and that opened up things for the other WR's. Get THAT accountability back and take the ability of the defense to simply target Chad and things will improve. Dez may fall, but I wouldn't count on it and like I said before, Williams out of USC is my kid in the 1st for the WR spot anyway. Honestly though, I'd prefer to wait until the 2nd or 3rd. Just me.

Safety is certainly a huge need as well and I will say this and be done with the spot. Regardless of what else may help this team, if Taylor Mays falls to #21, we take him and don't look back. My concern is, once he gets past #15, you would have to think people are going to make attempts to trade up and get him.

DT is always a concern for this team and the pass rush need to continue to improve. Will Odom be back ?? Will Sims progress as oppose to regress ?? Those are questions only the coaching staff can answer at this point and we are left to guess. I'm sticking firm on the TE position being one of the worst picks in the first. Absolutely useless... ABSOLUTELY !!!

Guard... For everyone pimping a WR in the first I ask this. Was the WR position a bigger problem than the pass blocking ?? I saw it as about equal. The pass blocking was attrocious, but so were the drops from the WR's. Another question is, do you really think a rookie WR is going to be able to fix the problem with the WR corps in the same manner a rookie Guard will ?? I don't even think that one is close to be quite honest, but that's my opinion. Fix the pass protection, give Carson more time (like we all know he needs), and the WR's will improve.

The only problem that I see is that I don't think they have a guard coming out of college that grades that high. Unless you are talking about taking one of the people that played Tackle and converting him into a guard, which is a lot harder then it sounds. You guys are killing me on the Carson did not have time stuff, Carson was one of the lowest rated quarterbacks on getting sacked. Carson just had an off year, yeah I'm with you on all of the off sides for the offensive line but Carson was not getting pressured like that. The WR's were not getting enough seperation and when they were Carson was over throwing them a lot of times. That stuff cannot be corrected by the offensive line.

WR... We need the speed threat we lost in Henry to make this offense more potent. It wasn't that Henry was all-world, he simply needed to be accoutned for and that opened up things for the other WR's. Get THAT accountability back and take the ability of the defense to simply target Chad and things will improve. Dez may fall, but I wouldn't count on it and like I said before, Williams out of USC is my kid in the 1st for the WR spot anyway. Honestly though, I'd prefer to wait until the 2nd or 3rd. Just me.

If the Bengals selected Williams over Dez Bryant that would be the equivalent of Heyward Bey over Crabtree, hold on I can hit closer to home on this one that would be the equivalent of Jerome Simpson over DeSean Jackson.

Safety is certainly a huge need as well and I will say this and be done with the spot. Regardless of what else may help this team, if Taylor Mays falls to #21, we take him and don't look back. My concern is, once he gets past #15, you would have to think people are going to make attempts to trade up and get him.

You must be a USC fan, you keep having them on our draft wish list. Taylor Mays is probably a step above Roy Williams right now, Mays is a big boy but he will frustrate the hell out of you with his lack of pass coverage. You wonder why Mays stock dropped this year and I will tell you why because his lack of pass coverage was exposed and they are talking about him moving to linebacker ala Thomas Davis and a few more former college safeties.

DT is always a concern for this team and the pass rush need to continue to improve. Will Odom be back ?? Will Sims progress as oppose to regress ?? Those are questions only the coaching staff can answer at this point and we are left to guess. I'm sticking firm on the TE position being one of the worst picks in the first. Absolutely useless... ABSOLUTELY !!!

Yeah. I'd love either O-Line or D-Line in the 1st. Preferably the interior.

The reason I don't want a WR in the 1st is because that's not where this team needs to improve most. Is WR a weakness of the team? Sure... but the Bengals still have better WRs than the Ravens and the Jets for instance... who both made it further than the Bengals did. Why? I've mentioned before that the Jets have 4 first round picks on their O-Line. The Ravens have 2 first round picks, a 2nd round pick, and an all-pro FA in Birk. The Bengals have 3 guys who started their careers on the practice squad. It's just not the same level of pure talent.

The Jets and Ravens offenses are both built on strong aggressive O-Line play. They run the ball well... and when their QB drops back, he has time. And when you give a QB time, WRs will eventually get open. WRs who can impact a game on their own are incredibly rare. Nearly all of them rely on a good O-Line to give them time to get open and a good QB to deliver the ball accurately. With the O-Line the Bengals currently sport, neither of those things can be counted on... so WR seems like a wasted pick to me.

Bobbie is long in the tooth, and is a FA. I'm sorry, but Mathis, Cook, Luigs, and Livings don't inspire a ton of confidence from me as what this team has to work with for the interior O-Line. It needs to be addressed. Perhaps it can wait until the 2nd round... but not the 3rd in my opinion. The Bengals need more early drafted talent on this O-Line. Having Whit, A. Smith, and a 3rd early round guy would make me a feel a lot better.

As for the DT... I'd love it if the right guy fell. A rotation of Peko, Sims, and a stud 1st rounder would be quite a sight. I'm not a big fan of Cody, because even in college he came out on passing downs... so that shows a terrible weakness in his game. But if the Bengals decided to take him at 21, and use him and Sims in a rotation... No one will be able to run on this defense. No one. But I'd also be happy to just bring Tank back. He did a good job this season. The 4-3 is the style of defense he needs to be in, so Cincy is a good fit for him.

There were very few games this year when pass blocking was a problem. For the most part, Palmer had as much time as an NFL QB can expct to have. Sure there are times when you are going to be under pressure, but every QB is. The good ones can make plays. The passing game sucked, but it definitely was not due to lack of protection.

WR is definitley a huge need and was a big weakness, as was the lack of a top notch receiving TE.

On defense, it would be nice to have a playmaking pro bowl safety, but that is not nearly as big of a need as our inability to get any consistent pass rush.

The biggest needs we have our receivers on offense(WRs or TEs), and pass rush on defense. After those areas are addressed, then you can look at areas like interior O-Line and safety.

There were very few games this year when pass blocking was a problem. For the most part, Palmer had as much time as an NFL QB can expct to have. Sure there are times when you are going to be under pressure, but every QB is. The good ones can make plays. The passing game sucked, but it definitely was not due to lack of protection.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion, but after going back and watching some of the games form the season, the pass blocking SUCKED. They could run block like champs, but Carson was OFTEN hurried or had hands right in his face. I'm not talking about hands in the air 3-5 yards away, I'm talking about hands right in his grill. Couple that with d*mn near any analyst looking at what the Bengals need to improve on and one of the first comments being "pass block" and you have your answer.

I'm just no where near as comfortable with Livings or Mathis, let alone ANY of the backups playing at a level that will provide the protection this offense needs to succeed. If you or any member here are, then cool. I'm just not...

It was the whole pass offense that was the problem. One game we have drops, another game Carson is throwing way off target. The next game the pass protection breaks down. The games in Green Bay, Chicago, and San Diego are about the only three times that one of those three things didn't happen.

It seems to me that no matter who the players are somebody needs to get them on the same page. Sure we could go with a guard in round one, or a receiver. We need help at both. But I don't think either one will fix the problem. The problem is Brat. We could have all first round draft picks on the offense and probably still have the same result with him calling the same stupid plays and the players having the same mental mistakes and breakdowns.

[ .

The reason I don't want a WR in the 1st is because that's not where this team needs to improve most. Is WR a weakness of the team? Sure... but the Bengals still have better WRs than the Ravens and the Jets for instance... who both made it further than the Bengals did. Why? I've mentioned before that the Jets have 4 first round picks on their O-Line. The Ravens have 2 first round picks, a 2nd round pick, and an all-pro FA in Birk. The Bengals have 3 guys who started their careers on the practice squad. It's just not the same level of pure talent.

That's real debatable, and I think we will come out on the losing end that we have better receviers then the Jets. Our best recevier is better then either Cotchery or Edwards, but damn sure which ever one you pick at the number two slot is better then Coles who is highly likely not to be on the team next year. Plus they have Dustin Keller stretching the field also. F

The Jets and Ravens offenses are both built on strong aggressive O-Line play. They run the ball well... and when their QB drops back, he has time. And when you give a QB time, WRs will eventually get open. WRs who can impact a game on their own are incredibly rare. Nearly all of them rely on a good O-Line to give them time to get open and a good QB to deliver the ball accurately. With the O-Line the Bengals currently sport, neither of those things can be counted on... so WR seems like a wasted pick to me.

Flacco had time? Even though he got sacked ten more times then Palmer, and Sanchez got sacked the same number of times that Carson got sacked stop making stuff up. Both of the offensive lines you are talking about is known for the same thing our offensive line is known for good run blocking. Sanchez had almost 100 less pass attempts then Palmer too and Flacco just had 30 something more attempts which doesn't equate to ten more sacks. Palmer was

You must be a USC fan, you keep having them on our draft wish list. Taylor Mays is probably a step above Roy Williams right now, Mays is a big boy but he will frustrate the hell out of you with his lack of pass coverage. You wonder why Mays stock dropped this year and I will tell you why because his lack of pass coverage was exposed and they are talking about him moving to linebacker ala Thomas Davis and a few more former college safeties.

-Pretty sure Army isn't usc fan I think we have one Trojan homer on the board

-Roy Williams looked fine in pass Coverage start of the year only problem was him getting injured

-Mike Zimmer is a Former DB couch,Coyle has been one of our best Defensive Positions couch I would look forward to seeing what they could do with Mays.

-Mays Coverage skills weren't questioned until this year and even then I'd say fear of god he puts in WR's is worth the trade off when you have Joseph & Hall covering people on the outside.

PS,Please use quotes next time

-Pretty sure Army isn't usc fan I think we have one Trojan homer on the board

-Roy Williams looked fine in pass Coverage start of the year only problem was him getting injured

-Mike Zimmer is a Former DB couch,Coyle has been one of our best Defensive Positions couch I would look forward to seeing what they could do with Mays.

-Mays Coverage skills weren't questioned until this year and even then I'd say fear of god he puts in WR's is worth the trade off when you have Joseph & Hall covering people on the outside.

PS,Please use quotes next time

Thanks Kaz, I totally missed that without the quote to separate things.

Anyway, not a USC fan as far as who I root for. I'm a Buckeye fan first and foremost...

As far as them showing up in my draft wants, it's not my fault that USC runs a very good program that actually prepares their players for the NFL. It pains me to say that, but when I move on from college to the Bengals, I want them to get the best their is. I was a fan of drafting Rivers and Maualuga and would be in favor of drafting either Mays at safety or Williams at WR from USC this year. Only because I view them as better prospects than some others, not based on where they went to school.

That being said, Mays also declined this season due to some of the loss around him on the defensive side of the ball. I mean he lost all of the starting linebackers playing in front of him (2 first rounders and a 2nd) as well as the other safety starting with him in Ellison. I don't know about the USC corners, but when you lose talent around you like that, it's going to show. Get Mays back around talent like Crocker and Roy Williams to learn from with one of the best CB tandoms in the league with JJoe and Hall and he would be a beast. When the Bengals stuff the box God knows his presence would be felt.

I don't think he will drop, but yeah, I'm not concerned and think he's a no brainer at #21.

The only problem that I see is that I don't think they have a guard coming out of college that grades that high. Unless you are talking about taking one of the people that played Tackle and converting him into a guard, which is a lot harder then it sounds. You guys are killing me on the Carson did not have time stuff, Carson was one of the lowest rated quarterbacks on getting sacked. Carson just had an off year, yeah I'm with you on all of the off sides for the offensive line but Carson was not getting pressured like that. The WR's were not getting enough seperation and when they were Carson was over throwing them a lot of times. That stuff cannot be corrected by the offensive line.

If the Bengals selected Williams over Dez Bryant that would be the equivalent of Heyward Bey over Crabtree, hold on I can hit closer to home on this one that would be the equivalent of Jerome Simpson over DeSean Jackson.

Having another stud at the DT position alongside Peko would be a dream come true. I'm happy about that Defensive End position, I think those guys got the seasoning they needed this year to improve.