Ed Reed and Derrick Mason considering retirement

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4833327

INDIANAPOLIS -- Pro Bowl safety Ed Reed said Saturday that he's "50-50" on whether he will retire or return to the Baltimore Ravens for another NFL season.

Reed, 31, admits that Baltimore's 20-3 loss to the Indianapolis Colts stings and that he doesn't want to make an emotional decision. But after dealing with a serious neck injury for the past few seasons, Reed said that retirement is an option.

"It's 50-50," Reed said. "I got great doctors that I deal with. So I'm going to re-evaluate things and see how it goes. ... At the end of the day, it's my decision to play with injuries going forward for my career."

Ravens No. 1 receiver Derrick Mason also said Saturday night that he's undecided on his playing future.

Mason, 36, completed the final year of his contract with Baltimore and will become a free agent in March.

Reed had groin and foot injuries during the season. He recorded 50 tackles and three interceptions in the regular season and added another interception Saturday against Indianapolis.

Along with linebacker Ray Lewis, Reed has been the heart and soul of the Ravens and their well-respected defense. But the team's most recent defeat seemed to hit Reed harder than most losses.

"It's very tough because these opportunities don't come often," Reed said. "As a player getting older, you don't know how much you can last. So it's hard, man. It's really hard."

Mason briefly retired last summer following the passing of close friend and former teammate Steve McNair. Mason cited the emotional trauma as a major reason he briefly called it quits and admitted that he still has to decide if his heart is into playing.

"I got some months to think about it," said Mason, who led the Ravens this season with 1,028 receiving yards. "I'm not in a rush. If I decide to play, obviously this would be a place that I'll come back to. All the pieces are in place. But I have to think about my two little [children]."

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.

Take 52 with em too. I've grown weary of his so-called greatness.

Um are you saying he's still not a good Linebacker because every game I saw him in he still looked like he always has.

Get tired of people saying Ray just jumps on piles to up his tackle count the guy is still one most vicious linebackers in the nfl.

I think Mason won't come back this coming season, but I think Reed does. Mason was close last year and was talked out of retirement. I don't see that happening this time around. Funny how the ravens didn't anticipate that by getting another WR. Maybe they make a play for either Boldin or Marshall. That would suck. Reed seems like he's just to much of a competitor to call it quits and I think once the loss wears off and he gets some time to rest, he'll decide to come back.

I also think the loss of those two would devastate the Ravens. The passing game would suffer, but then again, Ray Rice was the leading WR on that team. Their secondary is already on the weak side in the secondary, that would d*mn near kill it to loss Reed.

Ok Arizona, what's the deal ??

Take 52 with em too. I've grown weary of his so-called greatness.

Um are you saying he's still not a good Linebacker because every game I saw him in he still looked like he always has.

Get tired of people saying Ray just jumps on piles to up his tackle count the guy is still one most vicious linebackers in the nfl.

The dude got run over by Donald Brown the other day. Donald Brown. He's done.

Reed has been playing with a nerve impingement in his neck for two years I think, and it hurts. To get it fixed will take surgery that will be career ending. I think he is without question the best safety in the league and his loss would be a major blow to the team. However, as a human being I recognize that he's got to think about life after football and so if he decides to retire it'll be fine with me. I would say though that a lot of what he said may have been the emotion coming off a tough loss.

Mason was close last year b/c of the McNair situation and i think he too was dealing with the emotions of the loss. I think he still has a lot to offer. He's a great possession receiver. His loss would leave us with no wide receivers. That would suck.

I think both will be back next year.

And sorry, I think 52 is going to play until he is 52, and I doubt he ever slows down.

Reed has been playing with a nerve impingement in his neck for two years I think, and it hurts. To get it fixed will take surgery that will be career ending. I think he is without question the best safety in the league and his loss would be a major blow to the team. However, as a human being I recognize that he's got to think about life after football and so if he decides to retire it'll be fine with me. I would say though that a lot of what he said may have been the emotion coming off a tough loss.

Indeed with out a doubt IMO Reed is the best Safety,Heres hoping he doesn't retire nor do the Ravens look to draft a future replacement this year.(Makes me worrysome if the Ravens go in to the draft needing a safety because I could see them trying to jump the Bengals :|

Man if that's the case, all team rivalries aside he should retire. The game ain't worth the rest of his life.

Mason was close last year b/c of the McNair situation and i think he too was dealing with the emotions of the loss. I think he still has a lot to offer. He's a great possession receiver. His loss would leave us with no wide receivers. That would suck.

Yeah, but Mason has no speed, and at least if he doesn't come back the team knows they need to address it...Oh wait, they've never been able to draft a wideout.

And sorry, I think 52 is going to play until he is 52, and I doubt he ever slows down.

Good, it's nice to count on boneheaded penalties keeping teams in the game. :rolleyes: