Claussen is ready

The Brew Man

I think its time to let Brandon Claussen get his feet wet, here are some reasons to call him up after the break and let him be part of the rotation for the rest of the year.

1) We are out of it, might as well develop the future

2) Claussen struck out 12 in his 6 2/3 inning start for Triple-A Louisville last night.

3) He is 5-1 with a 2.39 ERA and 44 strikeouts in his last six minor league starts.

Nuff said, make the move....

Not sure. I mean he did really have problems early in the season, especially since his ERA still hovers around 4.50. I think he'll be a stud, but I don't want him to be rushed either... I kind agree with both sides... On one hand, bring him and test the waters, on the other, let's let him progress on his own until he's completely ready. I'm just another damned fickle Cincy fan.. :lol:

I think its time to let Brandon Claussen get his feet wet, here are some reasons to call him up after the break and let him be part of the rotation for the rest of the year.

1) We are out of it, might as well develop the future

2) Claussen struck out 12 in his 6 2/3 inning start for Triple-A Louisville last night.

3) He is 5-1 with a 2.39 ERA and 44 strikeouts in his last six minor league starts.

Nuff said, make the move....

I don't think we're quite out of it yet.

Come back strong against the Brewers and go into the all star break on a positive note. We've also got a lot of divisional games left where we can make up ground quickly.

Any help at pitching is welcome, but Kirks point about being rushed is well taken.

Guys, I respectfully disagree. We will not make any such run, and even if we do it will be fruitless in the end. Sorry to be a wet blanket here but when you rotation is Lidle, Wilson, Acevedo, Harang and fill in the blank, you cant get far. Thats why Im ready to bring up the young talent, let them take thier lumps, learn directly from Gully and see what happens. Id also like to see Bong recalled, I thought he showed some promise in his last 2 starts.

Guys, I respectfully disagree. We will not make any such run, and even if we do it will be fruitless in the end. Sorry to be a wet blanket here but when you rotation is Lidle, Wilson, Acevedo, Harang and fill in the blank, you cant get far. Thats why Im ready to bring up the young talent, let them take thier lumps, learn directly from Gully and see what happens. Id also like to see Bong recalled, I thought he showed some promise in his last 2 starts.

You're absolutely right that we won't get far this season anyway, but I'm more with concerned with his mentality than physical attributes. Ryan Wagner started out strong but once he got shelled, he hasn't been the same. I just don't want the guy that we traded Aaron F'in Boone for to turn out the same.

I still don't understan why the Reds sent Bong back down.

He looked pretty darn good in that last start against the Cards.

Guys, I respectfully disagree.  We will not make any such run, and even if we do it will be fruitless in the end.  Sorry to be a wet blanket here but when you rotation is Lidle, Wilson, Acevedo, Harang and fill in the blank, you cant get far.  Thats why Im ready to bring up the young talent, let them take thier lumps, learn directly from Gully and see what happens.  Id also like to see Bong recalled, I thought he showed some promise in his last 2 starts.

I still don't understan why the Reds sent Bong back down.

He looked pretty darn good in that last start against the Cards.

Still has me wondering also....

You're absolutely right that we won't get far this season anyway, but I'm more with concerned with his mentality than physical attributes. Ryan Wagner started out strong but once he got shelled, he hasn't been the same. I just don't want the guy that we traded Aaron F'in Boone for to turn out the same.

Well, the difference with Wags was a mechanical problem in his delivery, i think he will be back on track very soon. Wags was also fresh out of the draft, and skipped the minors basically, Claussen on the other hand, has a little major league experience, and a decent amount of minor league exp. by now. Id like to see him before August.

I'd bring up Clausen before Bong or Etherton personally. I think he has a ton more upside than anyone else in the farms.. I think there's a lot of stock and hope for this kid both in the Yankees system and the Reds and I'm fearful that he'll lose his aggressiveness if he gets knocked around in the majors..

LK - I definitely think he's the man when he gets here, or maybe after a few starts.. I'm not against bringing him up, I just want to make sure he's ready and it's the right time. If you would have asked me about a month ago if he's ready, I would say absolutely NOT, but as you stated with the stats provided, I think he's on the right path to joining the team within the year..

Remember he did surgery last year and may not be totally ready for the Majors.

I dont think they would have acquired him if they didnt think he could be ready by the end of this year. The surgery has not affected him in AAA as far as I know. Id like to see us with a rotation like this next year.

#1 Wilson

#2 Acevedo

#3 Claussen

#4 Free Agent

#5 Bong

Remember he did surgery last year and may not be totally ready for the Majors.

I dont think they would have acquired him if they didnt think he could be ready by the end of this year. The surgery has not affected him in AAA as far as I know. Id like to see us with a rotation like this next year.

#1 Wilson

#2 Acevedo

#3 Claussen

#4 Free Agent

#5 Bong

Perfect rotation.

Now I hope they will go out and get a SP and a good reliever.

ON CLAUSSEN: Reds general manager Dan O'Brien was there to see left-hander Claussen's latest gem - 6 2/3 innings, no runs, 12 strikeouts - Wednesday for Louisville.

"He had pinpoint command," O'Brien said.

Claussen is 5-1 with a 2.39 ERA in his last six starts. It would be easy to assume he'll be in the rotation after the All-Star break.

But O'Brien wouldn't commit to that.

"He's continued to make progress," O'Brien said. "If he continues at his current pace, he's getting very close."

Putting Claussen, the top prospect obtained in last summer's flurry of trades, in the rotation and putting Jesus Sanchez in the bullpen seems to make a lot of sense.

#1 Wilson

#2 Acevedo

#3 Claussen

#4 Free Agent RIGHT HERE

#5 Bong

I'll take credit for that, and for the record, Howington is not in AAA and not a prospect any more by any stretch. And I would add Harang to that list if he can pitch like he did last time out more often. But the free agent I was referring to would be an offseason pickup.