tonight is the nigt...

xjjeep90

we aint making moves for s**t. If anythign we will unload, which im hoping doesnt happen, unless its like larson, acevedo, a few other of the pitchers that didnt work out.

if we do fall back, i say trade griffey and graves and get something for them, unload those two sure griffey is doing great but in the future, get something young lose that payroll it will be good

Trade NO ONE. What will that accomplish? What trade from last season's firesale makes you think that we'll get someone better than whom we have now?! This is a ridiculous argument.. exactly what will that accomplish? Seriously... give me the last trade, other than Griffey, that's made a significent impact on this team.. You want to trade proven talent for a minor league prospect?

Next, we need to keep EVERYONE on offense. We have an awesome foundation and core of players. WE need NOW to have uncle Carl open the checkbook a little and become a huge force in FA for pitching and preparation of the 2005 season. I never thought we'd even have a winning record, much less be competitive. But look at the division; it's too tough for us and trading away the players that have gotten us here will not resolve anything.

Jditty - Have you NOT seen Acevedo pitch? Most of his games that he gives up 3 or more runs is because of one mistake, a 2-3 run homer, and his inability to get out of complicated situations. Sure he's not Wood, Prior, Clemons, etc.. but Jose is a solid number 2-3 pitcher we will need to be successful. BTW - Acevedo really reminds me of Jose Rijo when he first began... call me crazy.

if we do fall back, i say trade griffey and graves and get something for them, unload those two sure griffey is doing great but in the future, get something young lose that payroll it will be good

I think we should trade Griffey if we fall out of it. I know he's starting to come around but think of what we could do with the cash we're paying him.

GOSH GUYS , DONT JUMP SHIP YET. SO FAR THIS YEAR THIS DIV. HAS BEEN DOMINATED BY THE STREAK. 1ST HOUSTON.. THEN THE REDS ..EVEN MIL...NOW PITTSBURG.. DONT FORGET THE CARDS..AND THE CUBS ARE GETTING HEALTHY.WE ARE IN 3RD PLACE AND PLAYING WITHOUT CASEY WHO HAS BEEN ARE BEST PLAYER THIS YEAR. SO HOLD ON TO THE FIRE SALE FOR NOW, PLEASE. :o

GOSH GUYS , DONT JUMP SHIP YET. SO FAR THIS YEAR THIS DIV. HAS BEEN DOMINATED BY THE STREAK. 1ST HOUSTON.. THEN THE REDS ..EVEN MIL...NOW PITTSBURG.. DONT FORGET THE CARDS..AND THE CUBS ARE GETTING HEALTHY.WE ARE IN 3RD PLACE AND PLAYING WITHOUT CASEY WHO HAS BEEN ARE BEST PLAYER THIS YEAR. SO HOLD ON TO THE FIRE SALE FOR NOW, PLEASE. :o

You're right man. I'm just used to preparing for the worst being a Bengals fan in all. :player:

might want to check your caps lock. :P

Trade NO ONE. What will that accomplish? What trade from last season's firesale makes you think that we'll get someone better than whom we have now?! This is a ridiculous argument.. exactly what will that accomplish? Seriously... give me the last trade, other than Griffey, that's made a significent impact on this team.. You want to trade proven talent for a minor league prospect?

Next, we need to keep EVERYONE on offense. We have an awesome foundation and core of players. WE need NOW to have uncle Carl open the checkbook a little and become a huge force in FA for pitching and preparation of the 2005 season. I never thought we'd even have a winning record, much less be competitive. But look at the division; it's too tough for us and trading away the players that have gotten us here will not resolve anything.

Jditty - Have you NOT seen Acevedo pitch? Most of his games that he gives up 3 or more runs is because of one mistake, a 2-3 run homer, and his inability to get out of complicated situations. Sure he's not Wood, Prior, Clemons, etc.. but Jose is a solid number 2-3 pitcher we will need to be successful. BTW - Acevedo really reminds me of Jose Rijo when he first began... call me crazy.

Sorry, but that attitude is ridiculous. Trade no one? So, instead of attempting to rebuild a poor farm system and develop players that actually have some talent, we should shell out big money to bring in who exactally? What pitchers are available? Listen, i hate fire sales as much as the next guy, but with a small market team in the ridiculous world of the MLB right now, unless you develop young players, (eg- Marlins) then you have no shot. None.

While its true young guys are hit or miss, the Reds managment has placed Dan OBrien in a no win situation. Keep everyone on offense? Are you kidding? As much as I love Dunn, Griff Casey and a few other key hitters, players like LaRue, Larkin, Larson, Hummel and Kearns dont seem to be the much of a long term plan. Not to mention we dont exactaly have much trade bait for pitching (if it was out there) unless we deal offense anyway.

I do agree with your assesment of Acevedo however, he is taking his lumps but hopefully will be better for it in the end. Sorry to be so negative, but this franchise stinks right now, and we dont need some perfume to cover up the stink, we need a scrub down washing.....

Did you know our payroll is $42 million? You know that have 25th highest payroll in a sport of 30 teams? Our payroll is less than Montreal and Kansas City... Oakland, that team that likes to claim small market status, has a $59 million payroll and they are 17th(!). 9 of the top 10 teams with highest payroll are in the playoff hunt.. If we can't spend a good amount of money, say $20 million just to be in the middle percentile for 2 quality pitchers, then why do watch this team and support this team each year? I guess my frustration with the team isn't the personnel on the field, but the old bastard sitting in the box.

Every year that we are not in contention, we trade players to "improve our farm system" and every year we are stuck with the same dilemma. Trading away our quality players isn't an option because it didn't work in the past, so why will it now?

OK, so I overstated leaving our offense alone. I just get frustrated with the trading option because as said above, it doesn't improve much.

I'm very upset with ownerships continuing action of "sitting on hands". It's amazing to me that the Reds let the city change its focus from Reds to Bengals and from Brown to Linder and Linder and posse did NOTHING. How could they let this happen? How could a guy, who has more money than all the owners in MLB let this city turn it's anger towards him? Humm... did that say it right there?

Kirk, I think part of the reason is that the MLB is a crap league in alot of ways. The NFL has surpassed it in so many ways due to the parity they provide every year. Every team in the NFL has a chance to compete for a Super Bowl every year. Baseball hasnt been able to say that in a long time. So, while our payroll is very low, Linder has proven that he will not spend the money, and at this point I dont expect him to.

Kirk, I think part of the reason is that the MLB is a crap league in alot of ways. The NFL has surpassed it in so many ways due to the parity they provide every year. Every team in the NFL has a chance to compete for a Super Bowl every year. Baseball hasnt been able to say that in a long time. So, while our payroll is very low, Linder has proven that he will not spend the money, and at this point I dont expect him to.

Yea, you're probably right about Linder.. I keep on holding out that little hope but every year he keeps crushing our team from being competitive.. I'll never know what happened last year and why it happened and the same thing is happening this year.

MLB is definitely hurting. The disparity is amazing and the luxury tax does not work.. drug policy, contract disputes, aribitration, etc.. needs to be re-examined (and rehauled) if baseball is to surpass football again. The one thing that the NFL has an advantage of is that they've seen MLB decay and they are doing what they can to avoid it..

I guess investing all of our time in a team that continues to hover around the bottom quarter of the teams payroll list, it'll be hard for us to ever compete again until "MLB officials" actually get off their dead ass and do something about it..