Ravens banged up starting mini camp.

Kazkal

Ravens open camp with nine player on PUP list

Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2009 7:20 PM ET

To cap the 2008 season, the Baltimore Ravens made it all the way to the AFC title game.

They'll start the climb back with nine players on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

The guys who won't be able to practice until they emerge from the PUP list are receiver Yamon Figurs, guard Ben Grubbs, running back Willis McGahee, cornerback Samari Rolle, tackle Adam Terry, guard Marshal Yanda, linebacker Jason Phillips, defensive tackle Lamar Divens, and tight end Davon Drew.

The Ravens also signed receiver Jayson Foster, and they waived receiver Isaiah Williams.

No roster moves have been made regarding receiver Derrick Mason, who has informed the team that he plans to retire, but who has not officially filed retirement paperwork.

Isn't there a different "PUP" list for camp than the one that actually puts the player out of games through week 6 ??

I could be wrong, but I thought that was what happened to Casey Hampton last year for the Steelers.

He came in out of shape and they PUP'd him until he was fit to practice. Once again, I may be wrong...

Isn't there a different "PUP" list for camp than the one that actually puts the player out of games through week 6 ??

I could be wrong, but I thought that was what happened to Casey Hampton last year for the Steelers.

He came in out of shape and they PUP'd him until he was fit to practice. Once again, I may be wrong...

I saw another story saying McGahee, at least, is healthy and he could be taken off this list in a couple of days, so I believe you are correct Army.

From the Ravens page on CBS Sportsline:

--Healthy and in shape, the Ravens' Willis McGahee appears ready for training camp next week. But the former Pro Bowl running back said he likely has to win back his starting job from Ray Rice.

"I'm pretty sure Ray is going to be the guy when we start out, but it's training camp," said McGahee. "It's a long season. No pressure. Like I say, it's not how you start. It's how you finish."

McGahee (knee, ankle) opened training camp on the PUP list, but isn't expected to stay there past Thursday. "We want to make sure Willis' knee doesn't swell up," coach John Harbaugh said. "We want to make sure he can take the pounding of a workout and see how he responds."