Microfracture surgery...Is Robert Geathers already finished?

JoePong

Not sure if Geathers will ever be the same. I can't think of any pro athlete who has come back from this surgery and been as good as before. Just some of the names...

NBA players Tracy McGrady, Amare Stoudemire, Penny Hardaway, Chris Webber, Kenyon Martin, Antonio McDyess, Brian Grant, Jamal Mashburn. Out here in Phoenix, Stoudemire is still good for the occasional spectacular play, but they are much fewer and farther between than before. He doesn't have the sam explosion.

In the NFL, Kevin Hardy was the #2 or 3 pick in the entire draft and was All-Pro early in his career. He was never the same after the surgery (ask bengal fans). Courtney Brown, Andre Wadsworth, Terrell Davis

And this blurb from the Sporting News on JJ Arrington:

The Denver Post reports that the Broncos have released RB/KR J.J. Arrington, less than three months after signing him. The team cut him because it looks like he will need microfracture surgery on his right knee, which would sideline him for the season. Arrington's career is in jeopardy as microfracture surgery typically is a death sentence for an NFL player.

As soon as I had heard that geathers has microfracture surgery, I was pretty worried. There has been almost no discussion or concern shown about his recovery. It's as if it's just a minor cleanup thing that and he'll be ready to go. Not sure why...

Indeed something to keep an eye on as the camps start and see what he's doing to recover. Agree with the thought that he hasn't shown much since his "big" year. Some of that is due to position changes and injuries of the defensive side of the ball, but there has been a drop off for sure. This may in fact be a blessing in disguise for all the praise and hype being placed on Michael Johnson's shoulders these days. It should be another interesting battle to watch in camp !!!

There has been almost no discussion or concern shown about his recovery.

I'm guessing the lack of discussion is directly related to the lack of information released by those closest to the situation. In fact, short of a few blurbs written immediately after the injury and some fan speculation prior to the draft about whether Geathers might start the season on the PUP list, well....I've read no updates at all. Thus, any speculaltion I might offer about whether Geathers career might be in jeapordy can't really be based upon anything but vague worries and concerns.

So I think I'll pass.

That said, if the Bengals are seriously concerned about Geathers ability to come back, now or later, they could suprise us all by making a blind bid in the coming supplemental draft, ehh?

• Like 1

Jeremy Jarmon is the only player I could find entering the suplamental draft so far but he is a end :P tch

Actually, there are 8 players eligble for the supplemental draft, including two who were added yesterday. That said, Jarmon is the only prospect most experts agree will be drafted, probably no latter than the 5th round and no earlier than the 3rd. Nice player too...if the scouting reports can be believed. High character, smart, better than average pass rush skills, and almost ideal size.

Frankly, I'm not pimping the guy and I doubt the Bengals will bother making any bid for Jarmon. But then again, if I really was worried that Geathers might be done forever, or even for just a single season, the supplemental draft might be the last best place to go shopping for pass rusher in July.

Just saying...

• Like 1

And well we did just draft Michael Johnson the more passrush the better hence why wanted Ellis heh...Never can have enough passrushers.

I haven't seen enough of Jarmon to judge, but he's an interesting prospect. He entered college as a 250 lb DE but he's added size every year since and I see his current measurables are listed as 6'3, 280...which is bigger than I would have guessed. I say that because two seasons ago he had a monster yea (13.5 sacks) playing at a lighter 267 pounds. Several scouting reports claim he could easily gain or lose 10-15 pounds based upon the wishes and desires of whatever team selects him, and while he isn't a classic DE/OLB tweener...IMHO he's strictly a true 4-3 DE....he does have enough quickness and coverage ability to cover backs and TE's. In fact, he broke up 6 passes last season, a fairly high number for any DL. As for track numbers, he was allowed to work out at Kentucky's Pro Day this year, and he ran a very respectable 4.7 forty, but if I recall correctly he was scheduled to perform an individual workout for NFL teams either today or tomorrow....so we should have fresh measurables soon enough.

Again, I'm not pimping the guy. But if anyone really thinks Geathers is done.....(voice trails off)

• Like 2

I am a die hard Kentucky wildcat fan, and watch almost all thier games. Jarmon brings a nice skill set, but not as a strict pass rusher. He has the ability to be a solid 3 down performer at defensive end from what I've seen, however I really dont see him ever being an elite player. Kind of a low floor/low cieling type who can become a quality player. Just my opinion on him though.

After doing some searching, the only thing I could find is that Geather's was in fact missing from OTA's (duh) and should be ready to go once camps starts. The other thing I noticed is his microfracture was in the ankle as opposed to the knee. I'm not sure one or the other make much difference in the timeframe of healing and the prognosis of healing, but it's just something I noticed.

Guess we are playing the wait and see game with Geathers as well.

On a side note: Geathers' little brother, Clifton, will be starting at DE for the Gamecocks this year for you college football fans.

He was 6'7 290 coming out of high school (Military Academy) and able to run a 4.8 forty. He's a junior this year.

I am a die hard Kentucky wildcat fan, and watch almost all thier games. Jarmon brings a nice skill set, but not as a strict pass rusher. He has the ability to be a solid 3 down performer at defensive end from what I've seen, however I really dont see him ever being an elite player. Kind of a low floor/low cieling type who can become a quality player. Just my opinion on him though.

I've only seen Jarmon play twice, two years ago, so I'll very happily defer to any Wildcat fan about his skill level. But that said, I don't think we disagree. In fact, DraftScout speculated Jarmon was only worthy of a 4th or 5th round bid, and further claimed that if he were included in the last draft class he would have been the 10th ranked pure DE, and 15th ranked if DE/OLB tweeners were included. Other sources claim the Eagles and Panthers are considering using as high as a 3rd round pick, but a more likely scenario has both teams waiting a round. Perhaps two. So nobody seems to think Jarmon has the upside to be an elite player. That said, those teams still looking for DE depth in July don't have many options, and the Bengals interest in Greg Ellis implies they're still considering adding a DE, perhaps due to lingering concerns about Geathers.

Last point. The lack of news about Geathers rehab isn't a sign of anything, good or bad. The Bengals typically refuse to release any medical information about players during the offseason and if a player doesn't volunteer those updates himself nothing gets written.

• Like 1

the Bengals interest in Greg Ellis implies they're still considering adding a DE, perhaps due to lingering concerns about Geathers.

Not to disagree, because perhaps the Bengals do have concerns about Geathers... but wasn't pretty much every link to the Bengals in regards to Ellis a result of Ellis and his agent naming them as a place he'd like to play? When it came to the point that the Bengals were actually asked about their interest in Ellis, didn't they pretty much shoot it down without even bringing him in for an interview?

When it came to the point that the Bengals were actually asked about their interest in Ellis, didn't they pretty much shoot it down without even bringing him in for an interview?

I seem to recall Zimmer acknowledging the Bengals interest in Ellis, but any interest shown was always going to be weighed against how much attention other teams showed. And along those lines, I always assumed the Bengals interest in Ellis ended the moment they determined another team would likely meet his rather steep asking price.

And there's the rub because while I believe the Benagls have shown interest in adding another DE....it's been, at the very most, a measured response.

I didn't say I was worried about Geathers recovering from the injury and being ready to play. He can be fully recovered and ready to go. I just don't think he'll ever be the same player he was before.

I thought it was a knee surgery though. Someone said in was his ankle. If that's the case, that's probably good.

I didn't say I was worried about Geathers recovering from the injury and being ready to play. He can be fully recovered and ready to go. I just don't think he'll ever be the same player he was before.

I thought it was a knee surgery though. Someone said in was his ankle. If that's the case, that's probably good.

I saw where the ankle was what was mentioned in regards to him missing the OTA's. I was "assuming" that was the same injury.

If not, maybe there is more, but I'm not certain by any stretch...

When it came to the point that the Bengals were actually asked about their interest in Ellis, didn't they pretty much shoot it down without even bringing him in for an interview?

I seem to recall Zimmer acknowledging the Bengals interest in Ellis, but any interest shown was always going to be weighed against how much attention other teams showed. And along those lines, I always assumed the Bengals interest in Ellis ended the moment they determined another team would likely meet his rather steep asking price.

And there's the rub because while I believe the Benagls have shown interest in adding another DE....it's been, at the very most, a measured response.

Zimmer Pretty much said if a player can help this team that they'll take a look no? Vs Playing the loyalty system of previous years :o

Ellis signed with the Raiders, so nothing to see here.

With Zimmer having coached him in the past, he would have the best idea of what Ellis would or would not have brought to the team. I thought Ellis could have helped us, but they obviously didn't. I'll defer and say they couldn't have thought that much as he wasn't even brought in for a look see.

It seems to me like even if they are concerned about Geathers that it I'd unlikely they viewed Ellis as any sort of solution. He's been playing OLB in the 3-4 for his entire NFL career. He's probably not the answer to the Geathers question... if there is indeed a question at all.