Michael Johnson

MICHAEL JOHNSON TO VISIT FOUR TEAMS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 13, 2009, 1:26 p.m.

Georgia Tech defensive end Michael Johnson, a potential first-round draft pick, has set up private workouts/visits with the Atlanta Falcons, Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to a league source.

Johnson is scheduled to visit the Buccaneers on April 2, the Redskins on April 4, the Browns on April 8, and the Falcons on Monday.

At 6-foot-6, 266 pounds, Johnson is a tall, lanky pass rusher who registered nine sacks and 17.5 tackles for loss last season. He also was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference team, and he was a finalist for the Bednarik and Hendricks awards.

According to a league source, the Green Bay Packers are high on Johnson.

The Cincinnati Bengals were well-represented at Johnson’s Pro Day.

We represented well at his pro day but DIDN'T set up a private workout as other teams did ?? The Browns pick ahead of us as well and would probably jump on him in the 2nd if they chose not to take Orakpo in the first. Just a thought that would require us to jump the Browns if we really wanted him in the 2nd.

It would make too much sense for the Bengals to take a C in round 2, so I'll go ahead and predict that they won't. They have a tendency to make surprise 2nd round picks, it seems.

I think a team will take a flyer on Michael Johnson at the bottom of the first. He has all the makings of an All-Pro DE, minus the consistency, which is even more important if you consider there are very few high-quality 4-3 DE's in this year's draft and every team is looking for pash rushers.

I could see Michael Johnson falling into the third round.

If you look at history and see that guys who play well their junior years and play inconsistant their senior years fall pretty far in the draft(Bing,Quentin Moses, Gabe Watson). I would not be shocked at all if this happens.

I agree with the questions about his consistency, but it's more about why he wasn't as dominant as his skill set would suggest. He's 6'7'', 266 pounds, ran a 4.68 at the Combine and followed that up with 4.59 at his Pro Day. Johnson was also a first team All-ACC player and had 17.5 TFLs and 9 sacks as a Senior. With 25 teams at the Georgia Tech Pro Day, some team will gamble that they can develop him into a stud.

If he's still there in the 3rd, he's the steal of the draft.