Bengals to be active in free agency?

BlainThePain

I'm up with Clack on if we got an additional 1st AND didn't resign Benson. Running back would be ok by me later in the first, but only under the premise I mentioned. If we keep Benson AND end up with an additional first ?? Well, you have things open up a bit. I say Mack if there is no center in free agency. If there is Brown in free agency, then they really open things up. OT and LB. OT and DE, OT and WR, it goes on and on. That sounds like a nice position to be in.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have no issues with Jennings either if they wanted to wait. He get dinged for coming out of Liberty, but he actually transferred from Pittsburgh for family reasons, not because he couldn't handle it. He's a pretty big dude that I could see doing well running behind a decent o-line (oh no...) in the AFCN. I could see Cleveland taking him before us in the 4th if he lasts that long...

I'm up with Clack on if we got an additional 1st AND didn't resign Benson. Running back would be ok by me later in the first, but only under the premise I mentioned. If we keep Benson AND end up with an additional first ?? Well, you have things open up a bit. I say Mack if there is no center in free agency. If there is Brown in free agency, then they really open things up. OT and LB. OT and DE, OT and WR, it goes on and on. That sounds like a nice position to be in.

I wouldn't mind us getting rid of Chad for a mid first and taking Knowshown. He is being compared to LT coming out of college in some circles which really excites me. I watched a couple of Georgia games and the dude is impressive. We would then be forced to draft a WR in round 2 if we did trade Chad.

I wouldn't mind us getting rid of Chad for a mid first and taking Knowshown. He is being compared to LT coming out of college in some circles which really excites me. I watched a couple of Georgia games and the dude is impressive. We would then be forced to draft a WR in round 2 if we did trade Chad.

i really don't want to lose the momentum we gained on defense this year, by not adding talent at LB and DE. as the cliche goes defense wins championships.

i also think that b/c of chad's injury and carson not being there that we are discounting how truly special ocho is (only player in NFL history to lead conference in receiving 4 straight years), while his off field antics are frustrating if he can perform like we know he can we will rue the day we got rid of him.

i can't believe i just typed that last part.

Couple of things... Benson is a big priority for us and I would love to see him back next season. I also didn't get the impression that he wanted or was going to leave based on the article. Just the opposite actually. He mentioned staying in the same system and I think that bodes well for him here in Cincinnati. Tag him though ?? HELL NO !!! Just go after someone else in free agency if that's the case.

Headless, if we were to get Jason Brown in free agency, I would go ahead and skip on Mack at the center position. Brown would anchor that position for many years minus injury and would free up the Bengals draft further.

You know AB, I thought the same thing. I mainly tossed him in there as an option because... Well this is the Bengals. Our biggest problem IMO is the training staff. They can't train ourguys to stay healthy very good sooo there is this chance Brown gets IR'd. Good point though, it would in the long run be a wasted pick anyways. That said, hypothetical whom do we choose with the 2nd 1st rounder in that situation?

What about a huy like Eben Britton, who is shooting up the draft boards. I think he might be the best of all of the lineman as far as a combination of run and pass blocking ability. Andre and Jason Smith seem a bit too one-dimensional. That would be a dream draft scenario and the Bengals need to hit a homerun like that in this draft.

I think he's better then any of the other 1st rounders myself, as well as Phil Loadholt. I'd gladly take either one.

Couple of things... Benson is a big priority for us and I would love to see him back next season. I also didn't get the impression that he wanted or was going to leave based on the article. Just the opposite actually. He mentioned staying in the same system and I think that bodes well for him here in Cincinnati. Tag him though ?? HELL NO !!! Just go after someone else in free agency if that's the case.

Have you ever had one of those moments where you can't stop yourself from typing something you can't believe you're going to type?

(((sigh)))

I'd tag Benson. I'd prefer a long-term contract get done before the deadline, but if nothing happens....I'm tagging Benson.

That's right. No tag and trade Housh fantasies. Instead, I wave goodbye. And no cheap tag play for Opie.

Rather, I'd happily overpay Benson for a season and in the process buy myself the answer I most need to know.

Ok, lets play with this and say we get rid of Chad (for a late first) and TJ, resign Benson, and pick up Brown in free agency.

1st - Jeremy Maclin WR

1st (trade) - Knowshon Moreno RB

2nd - Clint Sintim LB

3rd - Fenuki Tupou OT

3rd (comp) - Ron Brace DT

You could go DE with a guy like Kruger or Barwin in the 2nd if you chose. Simpson, Maclin, and Caldwell would be young and fast along with Henry who you just can't count on. We would address the o-line with a true RT, the front 7 on the defensive side of the ball with a monster DT and versatile LB, as well as getting another running back to help Benson or replace him in a couple years on a short contract.

Like I said, just having fun...

Have you ever had one of those moments where you can't stop yourself from typing something you can't believe you're going to type?

(((sigh)))

I'd tag Benson. I'd prefer a long-term contract get done before the deadline, but if nothing happens....I'm tagging Benson.

That's right. No tag and trade Housh fantasies. Instead, I wave goodbye. And no cheap tag play for Opie.

Rather, I'd happily overpay Benson for a season and in the process buy myself the answer I most need to know.

Can't remember what the tag number was for Benson, but if I recall it would be in the same area or at least close to TJ's (within a couple mil) and again limit what we could do in free agency. Granted the need at RB is greater, so there is that to consider. Ok, so maybe not HELL NO, but I still don't know if that would be my preferred direction to travel in. Either way, I do agree with bringing back Benson...

Can't remember what the tag number was for Benson, but if I recall it would be in the same area or at least close to TJ's (within a couple mil) and again limit what we could do in free agency.

I think the RB tag is currently 6.7, which is several million less than it would cost to tag TJ. So there's that. But more important to me is what the money buys. If Benson is indeed what the Bengals hope he is then we're not only talking about roughly 300-350 carries from a true bell cow, but also a physical presence capable of changing the very face of this teams flaky offensive identity. That's money well spent IMHO. Conversely, tagging TJ not only costs more but doesn't change the thing I want to change most of all. Rather, all it does is provide the same 100 or so checkdowns in the passing game.

Can't remember what the tag number was for Benson, but if I recall it would be in the same area or at least close to TJ's (within a couple mil) and again limit what we could do in free agency.

I think the RB tag is currently 6.7, which is several million less than it would cost to tag TJ. So there's that. But more important to me is what the money buys. If Benson is indeed what the Bengals hope he is then we're not only talking about roughly 300-350 carries from a true bell cow, but also a physical presence capable of changing the very face of this teams flaky offensive identity. That's money well spent IMHO. Conversely, tagging TJ not only costs more but doesn't change the thing I want to change most of all. Rather, all it does is provide the same 100 or so checkdowns in the passing game.

My only problem with tagging a RB is that very few "bell cow" types make it through a majority of the season. I know players at every position get hurt but these guys more than most. I think you are right in that there needs to be an investment in that position, but I would prefer to have 2-3 guys toting the rock if possible.

I think you are right in that there needs to be an investment in that position, but I would prefer to have 2-3 guys toting the rock if possible.

Going forward I'd be perfectly happy with Cedric Benson, James Johnson, and whoever else.....as long as that last guy isn't Chris Perry.

No, check that as I actually like the idea of Perry as the 3rd option. :lol:

Ok, lets play with this and say we get rid of Chad (for a late first) and TJ, resign Benson, and pick up Brown in free agency.

1st - Jeremy Maclin WR

2nd - Clint Sintim LB

3rd - Fenuki Tupou OT

You could go DE with a guy like Kruger or Barwin in the 2nd if you chose. Simpson, Maclin, and Caldwell would be young and fast along with Henry who you just can't count on. We would address the o-line with a true RT, the front 7 on the defensive side of the ball with a monster DT and versatile LB, as well as getting another running back to help Benson or replace him in a couple years on a short contract.

If we get Knowshon this year their is no replacing Benson because he would be replaced as soon as the name was called. He would officially become the second back in our committee behind the best RB in the draft!

1st - Jeremy Maclin WR

2nd - Clint Sintim LB

3rd - Fenuki Tupou OT

If we get Knowshon this year their is no replacing Benson because he would be replaced as soon as the name was called. He would officially become the second back in our committee behind the best RB in the draft!

I would be very happy with that draft.

The experts are saying that Maclin will run a sub 4.3 at the combine. If that happens, he may not make it to Cincy at 6, though. Maclin, Caldwell and Simpson would be awesome. With Chris Henry a year from free agency and questions at WR, I would almost bet that you will see ANOTHER receiver drafted early this year, too.

The key is signing Jason Brown to whatever he wants later this month. Otherwise, that 2nd or 3rd round pick has to go to a C, and we're right back to where we were in late '05-'06 again with a young C.

To tell you the truth Happy, I was kind of winging it with that concept above, but the more I look at it, I would LOVE that draft !!!

I also agree with paying Jason Brown to come over to our side of things and going from there. He's the one I want the most at this point !!!

You are right, I would really like that draft as well, however I would rather have Crabtree than Maclin. Speaking of drafts I was looking at a mock from last year and they had Sims and Collins both graded out as second round talents. They also had Caldwell coming to us, but with our first third rounder and not our second. We had a great draft last year and even if simpson is a bust, I will still think it was great.

1st - Jeremy Maclin WR

2nd - Clint Sintim LB

3rd - Fenuki Tupou OT

I would be very happy with that draft.

The experts are saying that Maclin will run a sub 4.3 at the combine. If that happens, he may not make it to Cincy at 6, though. Maclin, Caldwell and Simpson would be awesome. With Chris Henry a year from free agency and questions at WR, I would almost bet that you will see ANOTHER receiver drafted early this year, too.

The key is signing Jason Brown to whatever he wants later this month. Otherwise, that 2nd or 3rd round pick has to go to a C, and we're right back to where we were in late '05-'06 again with a young C.

Yep, another sad sack Bengals draft. Putting their best picks to work on the flash when they need to focus on their lines. Remember last season?

Couldn't stop the run when it counted.

Couldn't run whenever they tried

Couldn't keep Carson from trainers room.

A draft like that gets you another 10 to 12 loss season.