Darney Scott in prison

BlainThePain

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/conte..._enigmatic.html

EX-BENGAL DARNAY SCOTT

IS A TRUE ‘MYSTERY MAN’

HE HAD LOTS OF TALENT;

ALSO HAD SOME TROUBLE

I wasn’t surprised at all to see former Bengals wide receiver get jailed in Hamilton County on a 2005 felony indictment accusing him of not paying child support.

Scott, who grew up with rap superstar Nelly in East St. Louis, has endured scraps with the law before.

• He was arrested in March 1996 in San Diego on separate charges of suspicion of possession of a concealed weapon and possession of a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

• He was arrested again in August 1998 in Cincinnati on several outstanding traffic warrants, including driving with expired license plates on his Hummer.

• In July 2000, he was a no-show on Day 1 of training camp because he was picked up at his Florence, Ky., home on a theft by deception charge after being accused of writing a bad check for $5,158 to a motorcycle shop. The shop had rebuilt a motorcycle engine and delivered the repaired cycle to him.

I think of four words when I think of Scott.

Exciting, Talented. Mysterious. Enigmatic.

Quarterback Jeff Blake never ever ever overthrew a pass to Scott. Blake threw the ball as high and as far as he could … and Scott would go get it with his incredible speed.

But Scott always teetered on the edge of trouble.

I can’t help but remember an incident at training camp in 2001 when he climbed behind the wheel of his white Jaguar with Utah license plates.

Utah? You kidding me? Utah?

I asked him what was up with the Utah plates.

“Hey, baby,” he said, “you’ve gotta mix ‘em and match ‘em so that nobody finds you.”