Steelers cut Gildon

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/7383981

Love to have this guy.....

Steelers cut LB Gildon in salary-cap move

NFL.com wire reports 

PITTSBURGH (June 2, 2003) -- Former All-Pro linebacker Jason Gildon was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers in a long-expected move that creates $3.65 million of salary cap room for the team.

Gildon, who will be 32 next month, learned weeks ago he would be traded or released. The Steelers also told him not to attend last month's minicamp or their ongoing voluntary coaching sessions, though he has worked out by himself at the team's practice complex.

Gildon, the team's all-time sacks leader, was the last player remaining on the Steelers' roster from the team that lost to Dallas in the Super Bowl in January 1996.

By releasing Gildon, the Steelers freed themselves of his $3.65 million salary but still must count $1.3 million of his deferred signing bonus against their 2004 cap, and $2.6 million next year. They would have been required to count the entire $3.9 million this year if they had cut Gildon before now.

"Jason has been a very productive player and team leader for us the past 10 years," coach Bill Cowher said in a statement. "Unfortunately, in this system, some very difficult decisions have to be made."

The 6-foot-4, 255-pound Gildon, coming off two consecutive down seasons after making All-Pro in 2001, is expected to sign shortly with another team. The Texans, Redskins, Packers, Ravens and Browns are believed to be interested in Gildon.

Gildon knew his 10-year Steelers career was effectively over when they signed his former backup, Clark Haggans, to a four-year contract on March 6. Haggans will slide into Gildon's starting position at left outside linebacker.

"It's part of the business, and I understand that," Gildon said recently. "But it's kind of disappointing because of how long I've been here."

Haggans is five years younger than Gildon and has been productive in a backup role, getting 6½ sacks in 2002. The Steelers also needed to free up some salary-cap room to give quarterback Tommy Maddox more money and to pay their draft class, which includes quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

They also may try to sign linebackers James Farrior and Kendrell Bell to contract extensions before the season starts.

Gildon was disappointed the Steelers didn't offer to bring him back at a much-reduced salary, as they did with running back Jerome Bettis. Bettis agreed to a salary cut after losing his full-time starting job last season.

Gildon was a third-round draft pick in 1994, played in the January 1996 Super Bowl against Dallas and became a starter in 1996, twice making the Pro Bowl. He had six sacks last season, giving him 77 in his career -- 3½ more than previous record-holder L.C. Greenwood. Hall of Famer Joe Greene is third with 66 sacks.

Gildon has seen his sacks total decline from 13½ in 2000 and 12 in 2001 to nine in 2002 and six last season.

I'm gutted to see him leave Pittsburgh, he's a proved veteran and has done amazing for us. Last season was a little quieter for him but he can still do a good job. I don't want to see him on any team against us next year.

You've got to be kidding me!!! I never thought I'd see Gildon cut.

Well it's hardly been a secret. It's been quite a well known move for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

By Mark Curnutte

The Cincinnati Enquirer

"Former Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon will arrive in Cincinnati tonight for a free agent visit with the Bengals.

Gildon, who turns 32 on July 31, spent 10 years in Pittsburgh. His linebackers coach for his first two NFL season was current Bengals coach Marvin Lewis.

Gildon has 77 career sacks and has missed only two games. He was a salary-cap casualty when the Steelers released him earlier this month.

"He's excited," Gildon agent Peter Schaffer said late today. "He knows Marvin from Pittsburgh. We'll see what happens."

Gildon is a two-time Pro Bowl player who has 15 sacks in the past two seasons - and jus six last season. He had posted 13 1/2 in 2000 and 12 in 2001.

Gildon already has visited Green Bay and Buffalo, and Chicago is interested."

Don't see Gildon signing but it'd work for me if he did.

WE got enough linebackers and "situational" pass rushers ! Next time we have an opportunity to draft an impact DE, like Antwan Odom will be, we do it .

Defensive line was obviously the worst part of our defense last year, and only bringing in one DT via late in the draft is not sufficient to making a top defense. Clemons, old - Powell - virtually useless , Leaving J.Smith all by himself again.

All true guru.

There were several draft picks and a handful of free agents avaialble that could have averted all of this concern now about the DL. Just didn't happen.

The Gildon talks look real at this point or else just leverage for Gildon to try to get more elsewhere. If he signs, fine -- a potential starter at MLB, SSLB, or LDE in the event of an injury. If not, oh well.

At this point, there's no one left from free agency really worth pursuing as a starter at DE or DT. The few salary cap casulaties since June 1 don't seem too good either -- Gardener, Joe Johnson, Barron Tanner, etc.

I'm still hopeful that the Bills will release Sam Adams but I doubt it.