My Draft Questions to You Guys or Gals

UF_Gators_15

I completely agree with u about the workout warrior, and it will prob. be Michael Johnson of Georgia Tech, book it.

You're probably right... but if his stock rises much more, he'll be gone before the Bengals pick at 4, let alone 7.

Serious? I won't bother looking at anyones draft rankings for another month or so but I would have pegged Johnson as a slipping mid to late 1st rounder.

I completely agree with u about the workout warrior, and it will prob. be Michael Johnson of Georgia Tech, book it.

You're probably right... but if his stock rises much more, he'll be gone before the Bengals pick at 4, let alone 7.

Serious? I won't bother looking at anyones draft rankings for another month or so but I would have pegged Johnson as a slipping mid to late 1st rounder.

It probably wont surprise you to find that I don't go through and break down college film on my own to get my information. Over the past few years I've always gained my information on individual players from this site. I scour a few other sites as well... but this is my favorite because it gives the most depth to individual players. Its a little weak at the moment, because it doesn't consider juniors until they declare, and most of the scouting reports they do won't come out for some time yet.

But my high opinion on Michael Johnson comes directly from here, where he sees him as a top 10 and predicts him as a top 5 draft pick.

It probably wont surprise you to find that I don't go through and break down college film on my own to get my information. Over the past few years I've always gained my information on individual players from this site. I scour a few other sites as well... but this is my favorite because it gives the most depth to individual players. Its a little weak at the moment, because it doesn't consider juniors until they declare, and most of the scouting reports they do won't come out for some time yet.

But my high opinion on Michael Johnson comes directly from here, where he sees him as a top 10 and predicts him as a top 5 draft pick.

I didn't say I want Michael Johnson, everything I've heard is mid 1st, but all I said is that he's going to be a guy that looks great in shorts but not in pads!

Over the past few years I've always gained my information on individual players from this site. I scour a few other sites as well... but this is my favorite because it gives the most depth to individual players. Its a little weak at the moment, because it doesn't consider juniors until they declare, and most of the scouting reports they do won't come out for some time yet.

Okay, that was an interesting site....but it points out the why the opinions vary so widely. For example, New Era currently ranks your boy Micheal Johnson as the 7th ranked senior, but project him 25th in it's admittedly dated mock. Duke Robinson ranks 9th but shares the same late round fate as Johnson. Eugene Monroe is even higher ranked than your boy Johnson (5th) but slips in the teens in the mock. And just for giggles the rank Alex Mack as the 45th best senior yet mockingly transforms himself into a 1st round pick?

I don't mean to bash but IMHO rankings and projections don't mean very much right now. Teams don't know where they'll draft, which players will be available, or how they performed in bowl games, all-star extravaganzas, the combine, pro days etc. Furthermore, in the coming weeks we'll see plenty of teams change coaches or GM's. [insert familiar Bengal related whining HERE]

As a result I've always felt it makes more sense NOW to be inclusive. Rather than trying to find the one option that simply must be had at all costs, well.....right now I'm trying to add as many prospects to my short lists as possible. And if you say Micheal Johnson belongs on my still growing short list, well....I may NOT believe you.....but it's way early, so I'm adding him.

:lol:

Okay, that was an interesting site....but it points out the why the opinions vary so widely. For example, New Era currently ranks your boy Micheal Johnson as the 7th ranked senior, but project him 25th in it's admittedly dated mock. Duke Robinson ranks 9th but shares the same late round fate as Johnson. Eugene Monroe is even higher ranked than your boy Johnson (5th) but slips in the teens in the mock. And just for giggles the rank Alex Mack as the 45th best senior yet mockingly transforms himself into a 1st round pick?

I don't mean to bash but IMHO rankings and projections don't mean very much right now. Teams don't know where they'll draft, which players will be available, or how they performed in bowl games, all-star extravaganzas, the combine, pro days etc. Furthermore, in the coming weeks we'll see plenty of teams change coaches or GM's. [insert familiar Bengal related whining HERE]

Fair enough... but to be honest, I haven't even consulted New Era's mock draft. It's too early for one, and for two, not their area of expertise. There are a million other sites that I could get a more accurate mock draft from.

What I like about New Era is their break-down of individual players. Whether they are right about where a player is drafted is fairly meaningless to me. But they do a good job of breaking down all the important strengths and weaknesses of an individual player... which is exactly the kind of information Im interested in.

And assuming they are right about Michael Johnson, and what I perceive to be a fairly weak draft class for pass rushers... I have no problem believing he will be an early 1st round pick.

What I like about New Era is their break-down of individual players.

Obviously I didn't have time to look at everything, and on the first visit looked closest at their rankings of senior prospects. Then I peeked at their mock to see which juniors they're projecting to enter. It's an interesting site and for the record I wasn't suprised or disappointed to see rankings that don't reflect my own opinions. It's to be expected, right?

And assuming they are right about Michael Johnson, and what I perceive to be a fairly weak draft class for pass rushers... I have no problem believing he will be an early 1st round pick.

I'm not feeling it, but last year at this time I was pimping Sedric Ellis...and at the time he was ranked about where Johnson is now. So not only is it possible....it happens every year. That said, if I had to guess I'd say Johnson is more likely to slip over the coming months than rise.

Eugene Monroe is a beast! He's what Levi Jones would've been if he hadn't have had the bad knees. You're talking about the guy that forced Brandon Albert to play Guard because he was BETTER than him !!

Albert has been a starter for the Chiefs all year long and has played great. Check out the Chiefs site, and you'll see they felt he got snubbed for the Pro Bowl.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Monroe the first tackle taken over Smith and Oher and Jason Smith from Baylor.

AS for Phil Loadholt. I'll pass. Just like he whiffs on run blocks and has poor lateral movement, I.E. Watch the Oklahoma State Game, where he got abused! - Granted he's got size, but he's a guard in a tackles body just like Leonard Davis turned out to be.

I'll pass on Michael Johnson too. Limited Pass rush moves, average athleticism, Looks like a taller Robert Geathers, but doesn't play hard every snap. The two best defensive ends in the draft are Orakpo and Selvie. The problem is Selvie has trouble holding onto his 245lbs., and Orakpo would garner Geathers and Odom's salary. I actually think our defensive line rotation is pretty set with Sims and Peko as starters. Shirley as the backup. Odom and Geathers as starters, with Fanene as the backup. Frostee Rucker plays both spots, so the question is, do we draft another legitimate tackle, or Defensive End, or a guy that can play both and be productive. Tyson Jackson leads that list.

If we drop to the 7th spot. We should have a real opportunity to drop down a few spots and get the same guy if we're not taking Tackle first. Hard to see us passing up on one though considering the talent available and our ever increasing need at the position.

I do think our guard situation is pretty good. Grabbing Andrew Crummey off of another teams practice squad was GENIUS. Even if he doesn't pan out, he was still one of the higher rated guard prospects in the '08 draft. Livings has played well, so there is some real depth. Crummey can play center as well, so the line doesn't look as bleak going into '09 as once thought. Levi's missed time due to injuries and Stacey Andrews probably wasn't coming back anyway, So Tackle has to be our first priority.

It depends on where we are slotted but if its 4, I go with Tackle, if its 5-7 I go best player available. 2nd, it depends on who falls, but if the centers r there then I take them but if they're 1st rounders, then I go RB, 3rd I go DL, 4th...I let Shayne Graham walk and draft Graham Gano outta Florida St. he plays kicker and punter so it saves us a roster spot by letting Kyle Larson go too, plus Gano just won the award for best kicker in the country.

The team should try to find a center in free agency. It should at least make an offer to Jordan Gross too (which won't be enough). Right now the Bengals don't have a tackle they can count on for 2009. Andrews is a free agent with a major injury. Levi has chronic knee problems. Whitworth didn't do well at LT and hasn't played RT. Collins has looked decent at LT as far as pass blocking but that was with a greatly condensed playbook for Fitz, using short passes. We don't know if he can protect Carson's blindside on 7 step drops when the defense knows a pass is coming.