John Clayton Tidbit on Rudi Johnson

AGrizzlyBaer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=3491802

Q: Do you think Bengals RB Rudi Johnson has enough left in the tank to regain the form he had when he rushed for more than 1,400 yards?

Rashad, Cincinnati

Seeing Johnson in minicamp was a revelation. He has worked out so hard this offseason -- he's a ball of muscles. It was amazing how quickly he was hitting the holes. He has the ability to get to the 1,400-yard level, but I'm not sure he will have enough carries for that number. The days of the 350-carry back are over, and the Bengals will try to get Chris Perry involved a little. From what I see, though, Johnson has a chance to have a Pro Bowl season. He looks awesome.

I hope John "the cryptkeeper" Clayton is right on this one.

Fellas,

I think we're about to see a "do or die" (as the Dropkick Murphy's would say) attitude about this team this year. Rudi Johnson will be one example of this.

It's going to be a fun ride.

I think you are right on the mark with your assessment. I do agree with Clayton on the number of carries that Rudi will get. I believe he'll have a bounceback year, but there too many weapons to give Rudi the ball enough to gain 1,400 yards.

Fellas,

I think we're about to see a "do or die" (as the Dropkick Murphy's would say) attitude about this team this year. Rudi Johnson will be one example of this.

It's going to be a fun ride.

I think you are right on the mark with your assessment. I do agree with Clayton on the number of carries that Rudi will get. I believe he'll have a bounceback year, but there too many weapons to give Rudi the ball enough to gain 1,400 yards.

Now I would say that we need to get a combined 2000 yards or so (running + passing) from the backfield. But if that could be 1100 yards on 250 carries for Rudi, 200 yards rushing + 400 yards receiving for Glass, and 300 yards scattered among Watson and crew, that would be best.

I think the 1400 yards just beats Rudi up, really. I'd rather see him fresh at the end of games and the season.

I think Rudi is one of the last pure bellcow RB's left in the NFL. He does his best work after about 18 carries and in the second half. If he is healthy, I expect him to have a 1300+ season. Remember, the Bengals will be running a lot of two TE sets this year with Utecht and Kelly and this is also effectively a contract year for Johnson. If he is not a UFA already after the season, the Bengals will surely cut him after another injury plagued/subpar season, especially with Irons hoping to be at full strength NLT than the next season. He is postioning himself for another decent payday at 29, which will undoubtedly be his last. The sleeper to watch is Chris Perry, who is in a similar situation. I doubt that both Rudi and Perry are both Bengals next year.