Eric Bedard

Bengals44

I hear the Reds are after him, I would be ecstatic if we got him. Of course, that is if we sign him to a multi-year deal. Apparently the Orioles want us to give up Jay Bruce and we dont want to do it. I ask why not? Bruce has a K problem (aka Dunn) and has been thrown out stealing 40% of his attempts.

Bedards stats were probably the best in the entire AL last year and that includes Johan. 221 K's in 182 IP, 3.16 ERA (in the AL), 1.09 WHIP, opp. batt avg of .212....and he's only 28.

Bruce, Votto and Bailey would get him, I would pull the trigger on that one.

...one more bonus - he is a lefty...

I agree that he would be a good signing for us, but I'm not sure he wants the extension and would be looking forward to FA the season after this upcoming one. He has made numerous statements about going to play in Toronto, as he's from Canada. IF we could get him to sign a contract extension, I would have no issues with having him either. I'm just not sure of how much we need to give up for him and I'm also not to sure that the organization is going to be willing to give up Bruce.

Now, add Hamilton to the mix and you may have a done deal. I love having Hamilton and is a great "good news" story, but we aren't talking about me, we are talking about the organization and I just can't see Bruce being dealt.

I really do want Bedard though. Appearantly there are more clubs looking at him now, so it could get pricey...

WHODEY !!!

The Reds should be no means at all trade Jay Bruce. Ever. Never. Ever. Mark my words, he is a once in a generation talent. No way would I give him up for Bedard. Bailey/Hamilton/Votto would do it I think. Even with that though, I'm very hesitant. Bedard's mechanics are really screwed up and he is just arm troubles waiting to happen (a la Kerry Wood). I much rather would have had Harden. Even if Bedard does stay healthy, he'll be gone in two years. No way would I give up Bruce's greatness for two years of Bedard. For the first time in a long time, the future is bright for the Reds. Our system is absolutely loaded. Would you want to give all that up for such a high risk in Bedard?

I would appear that Seattle is the team that is pursuing Bedard pretty hard right now. I don't want to give up Bruce either and I don't thing the oranization will. That being said, we are going to have to give something to get something and we need another proven starter. I don't want to have yet ANOTHER year of having to say, IF WE JUST HAD SOME GOOD PITCHING !!! That story is really getting old...

WHODEY !!!

no.....No.....NO!.....NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Oriole nation is crying out noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! He wont go to a A.L east team I bet.. so go REDS if it has to be <_<

I would appear that Seattle is the team that is pursuing Bedard pretty hard right now. I don't want to give up Bruce either and I don't thing the oranization will. That being said, we are going to have to give something to get something and we need another proven starter. I don't want to have yet ANOTHER year of having to say, IF WE JUST HAD SOME GOOD PITCHING !!! That story is really getting old...

WHODEY !!!

Seattle just signed Silva, hopefully that takes them out...

I don't think it does, as Silva is a righty and they are still looking to add another lefty starter. Seattle has some coin to spend and are looking to make a move. That being said, this deal could be already done if the Reds included Bruce, but from everything I've read, Bruce is not going to be a piece of ANY trade. I'm more than happy with that !!!

WHODEY !!!

I don't think it does, as Silva is a righty and they are still looking to add another lefty starter. Seattle has some coin to spend and are looking to make a move. That being said, this deal could be already done if the Reds included Bruce, but from everything I've read, Bruce is not going to be a piece of ANY trade. I'm more than happy with that !!!

WHODEY !!!

Wait, why would we not trade Bruce. This team has struggled for the last 12 yrs and for one reason alone, pitching. If the Reds complete this deal we will have the best starting rotation the reds have had since '90. Pitching wins championships not unproven talent, look where Adam Dunn got us.......

Regardless of how I or anyone else views it, the organization will not move Bruce. He's viewed as the best minor league prospect in all of baseball and they won't move him in order to get a pitcher for what may be 2 seasons at best and who's looking to play in Canada. There have been numerous reports that if the Reds included Bruce in the trade, Bedard would have been a Red before the winter meetings ended. They just won't do it. I can't relly say as I blame them.

WHODEY !!!

WHODEY !!!

Wait, why would we not trade Bruce. This team has struggled for the last 12 yrs and for one reason alone, pitching. If the Reds complete this deal we will have the best starting rotation the reds have had since '90. Pitching wins championships not unproven talent, look where Adam Dunn got us.......

The Reds will not move Bruce because he is the most coveted prospect in baseball who is on the cusp of beginning his career in the big leagues. Someone you can build a line-up around for 10 years, someone who is probably going to win a few MVP's. He is THAT good. No way do you give him up for Erik Bedard. No way.

I don't think most Reds fans realize just how good Jay Bruce is and that is why people are so eager to trade him. He isn't your run of the mill outfield prospect folks.

WHODEY !!!

The Reds will not move Bruce because he is the most coveted prospect in baseball who is on the cusp of beginning his career in the big leagues. Someone you can build a line-up around for 10 years, someone who is probably going to win a few MVP's. He is THAT good. No way do you give him up for Erik Bedard. No way.

I don't think most Reds fans realize just how good Jay Bruce is and that is why people are so eager to trade him. He isn't your run of the mill outfield prospect folks.

Yes your right a PROSPECT......I would trade Bruce in second for Bedard. Look at the teams Bedard pitched against, He would instantly be our number one . Think how he'd pitch agianst the pirates, stros and cardinals, Domination. People need to remeber that although Bruce looks great in the minors, its just that the minors. Look at Brandon Larson.

WHODEY !!!

Yes your right a PROSPECT......I would trade Bruce in second for Bedard. Look at the teams Bedard pitched against, He would instantly be our number one . Think how he'd pitch agianst the pirates, stros and cardinals, Domination. People need to remeber that although Bruce looks great in the minors, its just that the minors. Look at Brandon Larson.

You did not just compare Jay Bruce to Brandon Larson.

Wow...just wow.

Look at it this way...

The Reds are not going to trade the best prospect IN ALL OF BASEBALL, to get a pitcher that wants to play in Canada (and probably will) for what amount to two seasons. It just won't happen. Brandon Larson ?? You can't be serious...

WHODEY !!!

Well, they were both very sought out prospects but as we all know, Larson flopped big time. Also, I was not comparing I was simply giving an example of what can happen when you put so much faith in a prospect. I don't understand it Folks...this team needs pitching! I'm sick and tired of hearing Marty year in and year out say over the radio that the only thing this team needs to compete is pitching. I'm sorry but this team will never be good no matter how much offense you put out there when your 2nd, 3rd and 4th starter are what we have. Harang is good, yes, but the rest of the rotation is shaky at best. Unproven Bailey(yes I know he'll probably pan out in the long run, but for now he's avg.) and Belisle in the 4th and 5th spots doesn't scare anyone, nor should it. <_< I want to win now, its been to long for a franchise with as much history as it has. I have to admit though, I like our bullpen this yr. Burton, weathers and cordero is pretty solid, maybe best in the central.

BNGLS05, I agree with you brother !!! I to am sick to death hearing, "If we only had some pitching we would compete". The thing is, with the youth we have, I'm thinking the organization would rather give it time rather than going after someone who will empty our youth for a short term. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Bedard...

WHODEY !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys on the rumour wires it looks like its down to the REDS and SEATTLE on who gets ERIC B. , the one rumour had the REDS giving up Bailey, Edwin and a 2 others for Eric and Melvin Mora. But they said that was to steep of a price for the Reds. But talks were still in the works cuz THE Reds still need a good number 2 starter. Hell I thought Bedard WAS A #1 ¿ :huh:

Hey guys on the rumour wires it looks like its down to the REDS and SEATTLE on who gets ERIC B. , the one rumour had the REDS giving up Bailey, Edwin and a 2 others for Eric and Melvin Mora. But they said that was to steep of a price for the Reds. But talks were still in the works cuz THE Reds still need a good number 2 starter. Hell I thought Bedard WAS A #1 ¿ :huh:

I believe if Eric B. were to be signed that he would step in and be our opening day starter. The recent move the Reds made by bringing in Walt J, suggest that there is still a small chance we could bring in Eric B. I love what the reds are doing to build a contender. Only if the Bengals could do the same <_< .

I believe if Eric B. were to be signed that he would step in and be our opening day starter. The recent move the Reds made by bringing in Walt J, suggest that there is still a small chance we could bring in Eric B. I love what the reds are doing to build a contender. Only if the Bengals could do the same <_< .

Well as most people here know im a big Oriole fan as they come so I cant really lose on this trade. And since the Os have already traded some of there better players, my only chance for a playoff team is the REDS and they are in a very winable division. B)

If the Reds can aquire Bedard without ripping apart our farm system, namely Jay Bruce, I'm all for it. But ripping apart the system for a two year rental, is just not worth it.