Bengals Offense Most Overrated in NFL

akiliklingler

Everyone knows our defense stinks, but unfortunately they have company - our offense. This is not the offense of '05. Although after they pulled Levi against KC, I thought the o-line played decently, it is nothing like the dominating o-line of '05. Rich Brahm's experience and leadership is gone. Willie is hurt and it seems as though he may be done as well. Levi - I don't know what to make of Levi. Either he's still hurt or if he isn't, then his injuries have severely depleted his playmaking ability. I was never a big fan of Steinbach, but he was definately a very, very solid guard - he's gone too. With the o-line in constant transition, our running game suffers, and Carson is spending too much time looking up at the sky rather than pointing to the sky.

Our running game has gone south b/c Rudi seems to have passed his prime in the course of two years. However, maybe he just has some nagging injuries and the o-line's performance makes him look bad. Chris Perry and his replacement obviously are not helping out as Perry did in '05.

Our wide receiver corp has been depleted for two years. No Chad doesn't need to be traded, but he sure isn't on the same page as Carson - which worries me greatly. As a top quarterback-receiver duo, the QB does not wait for the WR to get open; he throws the ball at a specific point and it's the WR's job to be there by the time the ball arrives - which doesn't seem to be happening. Henry's absence not only takes away his abilities, but it allows opposing defenses to devote more time to Chad and TJ making them less effective. No other WR has been able to stay healthy enough to be a 4th receiver. The preceived depth at WR just doesn't exist anymore.

Our special teams can't get us good field position, so the offense has to go a lot farther to score than it used to.

With a shaky o-line, a quarterback on the run, fragile RB's, and ineffective WR's - it's no surprise that this team cannot convert on third down and can only put up 14 - 17 points a game. Games such as the Cleveland game balloon the offense's numbers, so that they appear to be more effective than they really are.

If we're down by five w/ the ball and two minutes left to play, are you really confident that our offense is going to take it 80 yards and score? Not me, not anymore.

Everyone knows our defense stinks, but unfortunately they have company - our offense. This is not the offense of '05. Although after they pulled Levi against KC, I thought the o-line played decently, it is nothing like the dominating o-line of '05. Rich Brahm's experience and leadership is gone. Willie is hurt and it seems as though he may be done as well. Levi - I don't know what to make of Levi. Either he's still hurt or if he isn't, then his injuries have severely depleted his playmaking ability. I was never a big fan of Steinbach, but he was definately a very, very solid guard - he's gone too. With the o-line in constant transition, our running game suffers, and Carson is spending too much time looking up at the sky rather than pointing to the sky.

Well, I disagree that the O "stinks" but it is starting to smell a bit stale. The line is root of the problem, injuries and departures causing the issues. Can the current line gel? can Whit and Andrews emerge to play at the level CP needs? I hope so.

Our running game has gone south b/c Rudi seems to have passed his prime in the course of two years. However, maybe he just has some nagging injuries and the o-line's performance makes him look bad. Chris Perry and his replacement obviously are not helping out as Perry did in '05.

Watson needs to get the confidence of Brat and ML. I'm not sure what more he needs to do to get 20+ touches but he has done very well in Rudi's place. Rudi has run it to the threads. Not sure how much more mileage he has left....he shuffles, slow at the line, and has zero burst. He is not effective at this point and now his hammy is all ouchy. If things stay stale, perhaps they give DeDe a start or use more obscure sets, like a 5 wide spread or some jet formations that feature weapons everywhere.

Our wide receiver corp has been depleted for two years. No Chad doesn't need to be traded, but he sure isn't on the same page as Carson - which worries me greatly. As a top quarterback-receiver duo, the QB does not wait for the WR to get open; he throws the ball at a specific point and it's the WR's job to be there by the time the ball arrives - which doesn't seem to be happening. Henry's absence not only takes away his abilities, but it allows opposing defenses to devote more time to Chad and TJ making them less effective. No other WR has been able to stay healthy enough to be a 4th receiver. The preceived depth at WR just doesn't exist anymore.

Well, depleted is one way to look at it. I prefer mis-managed. KW walked, Cheech cheeched it up and now sits, and guys like Chatman/Tab/Breazell are all fragile. Holt has been decent, considering and I think Green deserves more snaps. Apart from getting a guy like Keenan McCardell or Chambers, they need to tough it out with Holt and start using the TE more effectively on 3rd down.

Our special teams can't get us good field position, so the offense has to go a lot farther to score than it used to.

The ST has actually, in my estimation, cost this team 4 wins since December of last year.

With a shaky o-line, a quarterback on the run, fragile RB's, and ineffective WR's - it's no surprise that this team cannot convert on third down and can only put up 14 - 17 points a game. Games such as the Cleveland game balloon the offense's numbers, so that they appear to be more effective than they really are.

If we're down by five w/ the ball and two minutes left to play, are you really confident that our offense is going to take it 80 yards and score? Not me, not anymore.

I'd disagreewith the "ineffective WR's" but the rest is spot on. The ket to the last five minutes is to be up by 17, and for that we can all look to the defense....and ST.