2nd day CB prospect

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...usamayoung.html

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=26663

Cornerback Usama Young and defensive tackle Danny Muir really opened some eyes. Young's vertical jump of 43 inches would have been among the best scores of any players in his position group at this year's NFL combine. His long shuttle run of 11.98 seconds would also have topped all defensive backs at the combine. Just for good measure, Young twice ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds. Current rumors circulating through the NFL have Young most likely being drafted early on day two and possibly even late on day one. The Kansas City Chiefs have already scheduled a private workout with Young in Kent. Young has also been invited to visit the Cincinnati Bengals.

He had a workout today that the Bengals were present for, and the result was:

Young (5-11, 196) ran the 40 in 4.39 and 4.40 seconds. He also notched a 43-inch vertical, a 10-foot-11 broad, a 4.31 short shuttle, a 6.65 three-cone drill and 15 bench presses.

Pretty impressive stuff. He's been described by some as the best defensive player not invited to the combine. I just heard an interview with him on ESPN radio, and he sounded very mature and intelligent. He is an incredible athelete when you look at his measurables. I'd love to see this guy brought in if we don't take a 1st round CB... and maybe even if we do.

He played at Kent State, so he hasn't faced the toughest competition... but he's a 4 year starter. That is a lot of experience, and I'm happy to see that the Bengals have invited him for visit.

I like how aggressive he plays. One thing that stood out with him was how quick he reacts pulling off coverage to make tackles. He's physical enough to play the run and attack RBs in the flat. With the insane measurables like he produced plus the elevated team interest, hard not to think he's 3rd or 4th round at worst.

But he's not the only lesser known DB who's got experience and meets the NFL standard for sheer physical ability. There should be a significant run on these players in the 4th and 5th rounds -- Young, Brandon McDonald, Travarous Bain, Geoff Pope, Corey Graham, Michael Coe, Courtney Brown, Larry Anam, Anthony Arline and Marquice Cole.

Combined with a handful of smaller school safeties like Kevin Payne, Daren Stone, Brannon Condren and Craig Dahl and lesser known bigger school types like Marvin White, Melvin Bullitt, Rod Rogers, Eric Frampton, Brandon Harrison and Dashon Goldson one of the biggest strengths of this draft is the depth of the DBs with NFL caliber physical ability.

If the Bengals can't get the CB or S they want in the 1st or BPA at another position trumps the pick in their minds, then they're definitely staring at an excellent CB prospect in the 4th and another good one at safety in the 5th.

I like how aggressive he plays. One thing that stood out with him was how quick he reacts pulling off coverage to make tackles. He's physical enough to play the run and attack RBs in the flat. With the insane measurables like he produced plus the elevated team interest, hard not to think he's 3rd or 4th round at worst.

But he's not the only lesser known DB who's got experience and meets the NFL standard for sheer physical ability. There should be a significant run on these players in the 4th and 5th rounds -- Young, Brandon McDonald, Travarous Bain, Geoff Pope, Corey Graham, Michael Coe, Courtney Brown, Larry Anam, Anthony Arline and Marquice Cole.

Combined with a handful of smaller school safeties like Kevin Payne, Daren Stone, Brannon Condren and Craig Dahl and lesser known bigger school types like Marvin White, Melvin Bullitt, Rod Rogers, Eric Frampton, Brandon Harrison and Dashon Goldson one of the biggest strengths of this draft is the depth of the DBs with NFL caliber physical ability.

If the Bengals can't get the CB or S they want in the 1st or BPA at another position trumps the pick in their minds, then they're definitely staring at an excellent CB prospect in the 4th and another good one at safety in the 5th.

Even though I've liked the idea of a 1st round CB from day 1, the depth at DB is giving me caution. The Bengals might be more well served to get a LB or DT in round 1. The depth at LB stinks after the 1st day.

Besides... it's not as if the Bengals need the rookie CB to start from day 1. They lost Tory James, and he wasn't starting by the end of the year anyway. Joseph and Deltha would be the opening day starters no matter how good the rookie looked in camp. The reason the Bengals need another quality CB is because no one really wants Ratliff starting if there is an injury, and it would be nice to have a high quality nickle corner... but it sounds as if that role can be acheived in the 2nd day of the draft. And you're certainly getting more bang for your buck with Usama Young in the 4th (if he's there) than any of the CB's in round 1.

I'll still be pretty happy if the Bengals select Revis in the 1st - but if they go another route, I'll be content knowing that there are still play-makers at DB available on the 2nd day.

Even though I've liked the idea of a 1st round CB from day 1, the depth at DB is giving me caution. The Bengals might be more well served to get a LB or DT in round 1. The depth at LB stinks after the 1st day.

The Bengals look like they've certainly established a Day 2 CB as an option. If they do it, it won't be because they executed some lame-brained conspiracy theory that they brought in 1st round CBs for visits just to blow smoke up the asses of other teams, though. It'll because of the reason you state and the fact that there is an extremely strong class of potentially good CBs in the middle rounds for them to chose from.

But I'd still rather see them go Revis or Houston and reserve Day 2 for other positions. If Hall and Ross are all that's left, I'd say grab the LB as long as it's not Paul Posluszny. Or Jarvis Moss. If he slides, teams will be kicking themselves a few years down the line for passing on him when his 6-7 frame has 280 pounds behind it and he's dominating the league.

But I'd still rather see them go Revis or Houston and reserve Day 2 for other positions. If Hall and Ross are all that's left, I'd say grab the LB as long as it's not Paul Posluszny. Or Jarvis Moss. If he slides, teams will be kicking themselves a few years down the line for passing on him when his 6-7 frame has 280 pounds behind it and he's dominating the league.

Not sold on Posluszny either. He's kind of an " adequate " player, not an exceptional player.

Where did you see moss weighing 280 lbs. cause the most i've seen him weighed was 261.

- I do think that the Defensive end of the future for the Bengals is in this draft.

I could really envision a defensive roster of the Bengals without the following players

Robinson

Adams

Thornton

Fanene

Ratliff eventually.

:bengal:

I do like Fred Bennett from South Carolina. He's a solid player, good physical intangibles, solid coverage skills, I'm positive he could step in right away and be the 3rd corner and eventual starter.

Hey guys. This is my first time posting on this site but I have been a reader for a long time. Just wanted to get some opinions on taking Usama Young in the 4th round if he is still available. From the numbers he put up at a pro day he seems like he has alot of potential.

Usama Young CB (5-11, 196) ran the 40 in 4.39 and 4.40 seconds. He also notched a 43-inch vertical, a 10-foot-11 broad, a 4.31 short shuttle, a 6.65 three-cone drill and 15 bench presses.

I have only seen his name on one mock draft so far but I have also read that many teams have been setting up meetings since his pro day.

Where did you see moss weighing 280 lbs. cause the most i've seen him weighed was 261.

- I do think that the Defensive end of the future for the Bengals is in this draft.

That all Moss is now but he'll get bigger just like he did from the time he was in his 220's in part because he was strapped with a misdiagnosed staph infection of the hip for 3 years. For all the yammering about DEs in this draft, Moss has the best upside of any of them. No other is explosive or as reactive. He's a blaster.

Hopefully the short term rap about his lack of strength to hold the point of attack is enough to slide him down to the Bengals pick. If there's a DE of the future for the Bengals in this draft, I sure hope it's him or Jamaal Anderson.