Linebackers

mjm47

I'd love to see Thurman come back as much as anyone here but I'd like to see him get his life straightened out before anything.

I agree. And if he is able to do that I think ML will welcome him back with open arms, and rightfully so. Make no mistake about it, OT is in control of his own destiny. If he does and says the right things, he will be back. Society wants to give chances to those that repent. The problem is that nobody repents anymore, because it is always someone else's fault. IMO there was also a trust issue involving MB, ML and OT even before the suspension. If he can mend those fences, he will be fine. The question is, does he want to mend those fences.

i just dont see pollack as a DE anymore. i think if he makes it in the NFL it will have to be at LB in todays age and especially on the bengals.

will see but it could very well be reason we tagged justin to give pollack a year to decide if he wants to return too football,i'd be more happy with a Geathers-Branchor (or solia)-peko-Pollack combo.

Beefy DT's with speedy DE's.

i just dont see pollack as a DE anymore. i think if he makes it in the NFL it will have to be at LB in todays age and especially on the bengals.

Actually, today's age gives him plenty of opportunities to be a great situational pass-rushing DE. If anything, the league has become more and more specialized. This creates roster space for a guy like Pollack on the D-Line who may never be more than a 1-trick pony (namely, an all-out pass rusher). But face it... a 1-trick pony still has value in this league. Dwight Freeney has proven that - and I'd much rather see Pollack be successful at one thing, than be forced to call it quits.

But to further srgue my case that Pollack should be fine as a pass-rushing DE, I'll add this: Pollack dropped 10-15 lbs to play LB. His best playing weight in college was around 265-270. The best pass-rushing DE's in this league are almost all at around this weight.

Of all the DE's who had double digit sacks last year (11 of them), only 3 weighted more than 280 (Pryce, Peppers, and Will Smith). The average weight of the other 8 guys is 263 lbs. And let's not forget that one of the best situational pass-rushers in the game (Robert Mathis) is only 245 lbs.

In other words... Pollack may never be the type of DE you usually draft in the 1st round (that is a 3-down lineman), but we didn't draft him for that purpose anyway. At this point, you have to try to salvage whatever you can out of his career. I see no overwhelming evidence that communicates that he can't make an impact as a great pass-rushing DE. He's quick, he's got a crazy motor, and he's strong for his size. These are the qualities you look for in pass-rushing DE's. If he'll ever make it back from his injury, I think DE is his best shot.

pollack is too small at DE and his arms are too short. he'll get eaten up on the line in the NFL. he'll need to play LB especially if its for the bengals. and that window is closing if he sits this season out again unfortunately...

As much as I love the guy on the field. I think it would be best for everyone here to just let the thought of ever seeing Thurman suit up for the Bengals go. He will NEVER suit up for them again. He has too many personal demons and has betrayed the coaches and personnel. Embrace Ahmad Brooks and pray Patrick WIllis drops in the draft.

Could be, but I won't believe it until either Marvin says it himself or Odell isn't participating in training camp. Everything I've seen so far this offseason suggests (to me) that he'll be back.

All I know is we need to improve our LBs if we hope to improve on 3rd down. We managed to squeeze 1.5 sacks out of our LB corp last season. OT made plenty of rookie mistakes in '05 and I refuse to consider him as a part of the plan for '07, but not having him in the lineup last year hurt us a lot. Maybe AJ Nicholson will show up, but I have equal confidence in that. I hope Marvin has a pulse on that situation and his eye on a few guys to target who will be able to come in and put in time at MLB.

brooks is penciled in as the starting MLB. lets see what that boy can do in the in training camp and the preseason. besides him i am not sure who they can put in the middle.

brooks is penciled in as the starting MLB. lets see what that boy can do in the in training camp and the preseason. besides him i am not sure who they can put in the middle.

You're right, of course (according to the article posted today on Bengals.com). It's good news to me. Brooks definitely has the potential to be a game-changer.

I was confused by the piece posted a few weeks ago where it talks about Brooks and Henderson working together as though both were preparing for similar SLB/rush end hybrid jobs... I guess I just read too much into that.

So if Brooks is the starting MLB with Nicholson and Thurman backing up, does that put Caleb Miller starting at WLB or backing up nearly all 3 spots? (assuming Jeanty is starting SLB)

I have to think (and hope) that it means he's backing up... because I am expecting and desiring them to draft a new WSLB this season. I guess though that if they like Brooks in the middle, Jeanty at SSLB, and think that the combination of Landon and Caleb at WSLB... maybe they'll go in a different direction. But that's probably reading way too much into Brooks being listed at MLB. I still fully expect a day 1 LB.