Path to the draft

Kazkal

Just about 5 QBs and only about 10 seconds each on 3 of them -- Drew Stantion, Trent Edwards and Kevin Kolb who Mike Mayock rates as the 3-5 QBs behind JaMarcus Russell and the Mighty Quinn. Lots of tape breakdown on those 2 plus they unfortunately got Floyd Reese to crawl out from under his rock and say he'd pick JaMarcus over Quinn.

They'll have offense this week and defense next week but I doubt I get to se any more as I'll be away for awhile.

About as much Palmer love as Troy Smith love -- ZERO. :lol:

I think that series will actually run Mayock's Top 5 on offense this week and the defensive players by position the week after the combine. My flight got nixed so I'll be able to check out at least this week's after all. The RBs are toinght at 6:30 EDT but it'll be more of the same -- mostly the top 2 in Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch.

Still, if Mayock gets goofy over a player, he'll jack him up out of sight. Sometimes, he's right, though -- like Donte Whitner.

I think Mayoch is rock solid, or at least as solid as anyone can be when talking about the draft. He really earned my respect a couple of years ago when he went waaaaaayyyyyyy out on a limb and declared that DT Randy Starks was a likely mid-round pick instead of the potential top-20 pick he was being hyped as at the time. Months passed and as the draft approached everyone else seemed to come onboard with Mayoch's opinion but he was by far the first to declare there was nothing special about Starks. And like you pointed out above, he'll pimp a player that nobody else is if his film study exposes a far better player than one rated by the consensus.

No doubt about respecting Mayock's evaluating skills. That and his willingness to light up a player for flaws. Got the feeling, though, Mayock is getting squeezed some at the network. To the detriment of their Senior Bowl programming and now the draft path series, they've add another commentator who talks too much about nothing and have been parading some unnecessary guests in for more drivel rather than letting Mayock do most of the talking. Probably the network's seeming quest for quotas and other political correctness.

But the player interviews so far -- Marshawn Lynch and Calvin Johnson -- have been good, especially compared to a couple ESPN ones that featured such luminaries as Darius Walker and Chris Leak. :lmao:

Mayock did get to shed some light on possible draft slippage for Sidney Rice, attributing "scouting community" concerns about his on and off the field readiness. But it seemed sort of cheesy that he said he needed to review more game tape of Robert Meacham before really providing analysis.

Mayock did get to shed some light on possible draft slippage for Sidney Rice, attributing "scouting community" concerns about his on and off the field readiness. But it seemed sort of cheesy that he said he needed to review more game tape of Robert Meacham before really providing analysis.

I actually respect his habit of withholding a final grade on a prospect until he can watch more film. It's obvious that he watches a ton of game film, I've heard him repeatedly claim that he's watched every snap on several highly rated prospects, so I'm betting he'll get around to Meachum in time.

It's still early, right?

I also remember Mayock predicting Anttaj Hawthorne and Ko Simpson to be 2nd day picks when everyone else was pimping them as 1st rounders. He was right... everyone else, wrong.

"still would have made ko day 1 pick in rnd 3" but ya thats something like about him he'll stick true to someones grad even though everyone else is overvalueing em (kinda like jamaal anderson i think he has rated 4th DE though could change wth the combine.)

I also remember Mayock predicting Anttaj Hawthorne and Ko Simpson to be 2nd day picks when everyone else was pimping them as 1st rounders. He was right... everyone else, wrong.

I'm pretty sure Hawthornes stock bottomed out the moment he took his shirt off at the combine. As for Ko, old men disguised as rookies aren't going to be highly valued.

Yeah Ko can play. I wouldn't jock Mayock too much because he's got his own bag of boned picks. But the guy is great to listen to for the work that he does. They're already lining up Vic Carrucci and Pat Kirwan for combine coverage to further cut into Mayock's time on air. Hoepefully those 2 will be dealing more with interviews of GMs and the like rather than evaluating or projecting because they are rank at it. I remember the day before the draft Kirwan actually saying with his picked video footage in the background that the Steelers could be considering Rod "The Human Treadmill" Wright as a 1st round pick. :lol:

The TE show tonight was a relative sleeper. Considering the players involved it should have been. And the guest picker for Zona at #5 was some stuttering dude from PFW who said the Cards would take Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Gaines Adams in that order.

Based on their experts picks so far I believe they've got Russell, Quinn, Johnson, (Thomas or Peterson depending if Bucs or Browns) and Thomas or Peterson.

Peterson is a freak but that's way up there for a runner with an injury prone style.

The TE show tonight was a relative sleeper. Considering the players involved it should have been.

I disagree. The previous shows highlited QB's, RB's, and then wideouts....positions I don't see the Bengals having much interest in. But TE is a different story and even if the class is weak you have to figure the Bengals might finally draft a prospect if they can find a mid-round guy who isn't a pure pass catcher.

So how about Ben Patrick? He caught my eye at the Senior Bowl practices and caught it again during the Path to the Draft program when they showed some of his game highlites. The guy is massive (6'4", 270) but smooth and athletic, flashed very good hands, and most importantly...was said to be one of the best blockers in the entire TE class.

Best, I usually see him ranked as a late 3rd early 4th round pick.

Newton did get some mention by Charles Davis and some clips shown but when he said Newton might be a better blocker than Miler or Olsen I actually laughed until I realized how little that meant any way.

No doubt the TE show could have been more intersting had they not followed the same Top 2 heavy format like they have all week. More about Ben Patrick would've been great and he is the most ideally suited for the Bengals because with free agency $ dwindling, hard to see Reggie Kelly in stripes next year. The only thing I noticed about Patrick that I didn't like during the Senior Bowl game was him lunge blocking on DEs in protection. He should be able to better tune that up with time though. The Shrine game was where I thought Patrick really showed the potential he has as an underrated receiver. He's not going to be considered a stretch TE by any means but he showed some agility in getting separation quickly and diving for a deep cross behind the LB and also good recognition in finding the soft spot in the coverage downfield on the sideline. It'd be great if the Bengals can get him in the 4th.

I thought they said they'd come back after thecombine but I see one scheduled at 6:30 EDT tomorrow.

They got too many cooks in the kitchen if you ask me. I just want to hear what Mayock's got to say. If you caught the O-line episode, they had John L. Smith on their acting like a goofball to the point I thought he might pick his nose and eat it!