Which do we need more DT or DE?

ntpou

I would like to think , that Antwan Odom should be our pick at # 24 !,

If all things were possible like the "falcon-mock draft, or nfldraftblitz, mock draft".. then a Kenechi Udeze could still be an option at # 24 as well.

Several things we know for sure. There will be 3 quarterbacks selected before we pick.

There will be a run on runningbacks, Denver moved ahead of Dallas and N.E./ N.E. can move up with all of those picks./ Tampa Bay and Detroit will think hard about backs as well.

Then of course all the WR's that will go so someone of Defensive line value will be there at 24 .

Chris, I doubt TB will think RB in the first. Signing Charlie Garner, Brandon Bennett, and Jamal White, dropped the RB position in the draft priority list for TB. I'd be more inclined to believe TB may make a run at replacing Sapp or DE since they've been all but quiet during FA at that position.

But I completely agree with everything else.

I'm not sure we have any glaring needs at this point. I think ML has given the team flexibility with the pick with the FA aquisitions (including Gardener) Anyone have a clue who is coming off contract next year? We could have a need for RB depending on what RUDI signs. Besides that, I dont really know who is coming off contract. The answer to that question may provide insight to our picks. Personally, I would like us to package up a deal and move back up and get a real difference maker.

I'm not sure we have any glaring needs at this point. I think ML has given the team flexibility with the pick with the FA aquisitions (including Gardener) Anyone have a clue who is coming off contract next year? We could have a need for RB depending on what RUDI signs. Besides that, I dont really know who is coming off contract. The answer to that question may provide insight to our picks. Personally, I would like us to package up a deal and move back up and get a real difference maker.

i disagree. i want to see us stockpile as many picks as possible and use them for depth, depth, depth.

u guys are crazy, we can't stop the run and you want another stupid small pash rushing DE, people are just going to run all over us. not to mention the fact , we have justin smith and duane clemons, don't tell me thats not a good enough outside pass rush, especially if we have gardener signed, along with thorton.

my wishes are this ( in no particular order) for the 24th pick.

1 Jake Grove

2. Ben troupe

3. Carlos Dansby ( or one of the MIAMI LB's)

4. one of the top 3 cb's makes it this far down.

u guys are crazy, we can't stop the run and you want another stupid small pash rushing DE, people are just going to run all over us. not to mention the fact , we have justin smith and duane clemons, don't tell me thats not a good enough outside pass rush, especially if we have gardener signed, along with thorton.

my wishes are this ( in no particular order) for the 24th pick.

1 Jake Grove

2. Ben troupe

3. Carlos Dansby ( or one of the MIAMI LB's)

4. one of the top 3 cb's makes it this far down.

umm, ok, so grove and the TE are going to help us stop the run any more effectively?

i think gardener and webster will both help our run defense tremendously.

um exactly, what i was insinuating, we got a couple guys in that will help with the run D, and with hardy in his natural position, he'll be more productive. i say we go for our other pressing needs, we aren't going to have much more of a shot to find a top center after jake grove is taken IMO, so why not draft him? If braham gets hurt we are screwed for centers. Marvin will fix the D this year, i'm really not worried about us not stopping the run. Not to mention we'll be on another season of the offseason program, where we don't lift krispy kreams.

Marvin will fix the D this year, i'm really not worried about us not stopping the run.

that's not what your last post said.

i wouldn't mind having grove, though.

well i meant we wont be much better at stopping the run by drafting a small pass rushing DE, sacks aren't everything, duane clemons has size and can rush the qb decently. We need de's that can close the pocket that forces the rb up the middle and can';t break it outside, if you can contain the rb in the middle and the DT's can stuff a couple o linemen, where one of the LB's can get free, we'd be set. Personally i feel we have a good enough d line, with the signing of Gardener. Now if we can get a play making TE ( ben troupe) who i believe will be the next coming of Tony gonzo, if he can just gain a couple pounds and block better. This will allow us to run for double te sets with reggie kelly and matt schobel splitting time. this will allow for better pass protection, because we all know Carson is gonna need it, while learning to play in the NFL.

This is another reason why i wouldn't mind going after the Center, he'd help out that O line, and imo we'd have our D line set for another 5 years, and allow Willie's replacement to come on at that time.

I will admit as for now our o line is decent, and will get through the season, why we could go after a play making defender, but i believe our LB Core right now is pretty weak, along with our safeties, but no safety is worthy of the #24 pick except for tayler but hell he's worthy of the #1 pick. We could also use a corner, if o'neall doesn't pan out or james gets injured.

1st no way are we getting a TE

2nd J.Grove probably be in 2nd

3rd We need someone to help us this year not Back-up or give us depth.JT & D.Gardner are good for the middle J.Smith & who else on the outside. Our LB are good for now with Hardy on the Outside.

We need a DE

Chris, I doubt TB will think RB in the first. Signing Charlie Garner, Brandon Bennett, and Jamal White, dropped the RB position in the draft priority list for TB. I'd be more inclined to believe TB may make a run at replacing Sapp or DE since they've been all but quiet during FA at that position.

But I completely agree with everything else.

I agree to a point there Kirk, Tampa Bay still has glaring holes on the offensive line that it has tried to fix with FA... Wide Receiver is weak as well, but

1. Charlie Garner was 162 years old when he fought Joe Lewis :lol:

2. Jamel White and Brandon Bennett are really nothing more than 3rd down backs . White from time to time can be elusive and exciting, however it hasn't turned into a lot of production.- So a running back for the future at # 15 would seem quite cheap actually.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Tight End, I think we can manage one more year with who we have,Although I do think that position is a weakness.

** Defensive End should be a priority in this years draft. There aren't a lot of "impact" players at the position, and I think Antwan Odom can be one of them.- Taller than Udeze, Almost as quick as Smith, is strong against the run, and would give us a legitimate pass rusher along with J.Smith for years to come.

*1. Duane Clemons and Carl Powell weren't signed to long term contracts, only a couple of years. And neither are a long term answer.

Antwan Odom

[is strong against the run,]

Not from what I've read.

Here are excerpts of scouting reports on Antwan Odom

ESPN Insider Scouts Inc.

Odom is just adequate vs. run. Tries to slip blocks too often, and thus takes himself out of plays. Has tough time locating ball when engaged by blockers.

CBS Sportsline

Despite good hand usage when engaging off the snap, he does not always protect his feet (susceptible to low blocks). Can be driven back by tight ends when trying to seal off the corner. Shoulder injury history needs further medical evaluation.

Len Pasquarelli Espn.com

Can get overpowered, especially versus the run. While there is some

discernable "twitch" to his game, not explosively quick, and that is

compounded by problems disengaging from blocks.

I say we take Marcus Tubbs. That would probably be the best DT around at that 24 position. Hopefully Starks is there but highly unlikely with the Vikings looking to clog up the middle as well. Corner back 2nd. Third round running back or DE. Fourth should be the best available and so on so forth. I believe we will get some good play out of Gardner and Thorton but just remember that they will need some air at some point. That's why we should take a DT for our first pick bar none.

Antwan Odom

[is strong against the run,]

Not from what I've read.

Here are excerpts of scouting reports on Antwan Odom

ESPN Insider Scouts Inc.

Odom is just adequate vs. run. Tries to slip blocks too often, and thus takes himself out of plays. Has tough time locating ball when engaged by blockers.

CBS Sportsline

Despite good hand usage when engaging off the snap, he does not always protect his feet (susceptible to low blocks). Can be driven back by tight ends when trying to seal off the corner. Shoulder injury history needs further medical evaluation.

Len Pasquarelli Espn.com

Can get overpowered, especially versus the run. While there is some

discernable "twitch" to his game, not explosively quick, and that is

compounded by problems disengaging from blocks.

Pros: Junior prospect that has outstanding size & power, good motor, leverage, balance, & athleticism. Will knock an OL on his butt, huge hitter, great tackling technique, has exc. burst, change of direction, & read/react skills. Upside!

Cons: He has very few flaws, needing to become more fluid and play a little quicker with better hip movement. He tends to wear down so needs to do some conditioning and possibly lose a few pound of fat and add muscle in it’s place. from Draftx.com about Antwan Odom..

Sporting News draft central.Once Odom dedicates himself to developing lower body strength, he could turn out to be better than Udeze, and Smith !