Scary Thoughts

buck3y3d

The following was an interview from si.com with former Bengals fullback Lorenzo Neal (a player whom I have a great deal of respect for).

Silver: You spent two years with Cincinnati before Marvin Lewis helped change the culture of the organization. What's your biggest low-budget Bengals horror story?

Neal: Oh, man, there are so many. I remember guys would go out hard the night before practice, and you'd have dudes in meetings the next day dead asleep -- still drunk. We'd be out there at practice and there'd still be guys inside, sleeping. It was crazy.

The following was an interview from si.com with former Bengals fullback Lorenzo Neal (a player whom I have a great deal of respect for).

Silver: You spent two years with Cincinnati before Marvin Lewis helped change the culture of the organization. What's your biggest low-budget Bengals horror story?

Neal: Oh, man, there are so many. I remember guys would go out hard the night before practice, and you'd have dudes in meetings the next day dead asleep -- still drunk. We'd be out there at practice and there'd still be guys inside, sleeping. It was crazy.

Come on Lorenzo, cough up some names!!!!

:lmao:

You guys got any guesses????

:beer:

Done, buried, over. Don't even go back there. It's like God said when Lot left Sodom and Gomorrah, "Do not look back or you will be turned to a pillar of salt."

Don't look back, don't ever look back!

:bengal:

I don't have any inside information, but I'd wager a 40 of Olde English that Steve Foley's among them. ;)

I'm a long time Bengal fan that moved to Cleveland last year for work. I read the posts a lot, but this is the first time I have ever written anything. I finally wanted to chime in on one of these debates.

I'll give you one name. Lorenzo Neal. One of my buddies from UC was a long time friend of Brandon Lebeau, son of Dick Lebeau. Brandon used to do the filming of games and practices for the Bengals when his dad was coach, and was naturally pretty good friends with a lot of the players. My buddies and I went out to the Silverton Cafe one Thursday night a few years ago, and Brandon was supposed to bring Takeo Spikes and Lorenzo Neal with him that night. Takeo bailed after dinner and didn't show up at the bar, but Lorenzo came and stayed out until closing time, and had to be driven home. Completely smashed. Brandon said he was still drunk the next morning at practice, and for as much as he had to drink, and was still drinking hard at 3AM, when practice is at like 6, he would have had to have been. He shouldn't put stuff like that in print because I know personally that he was one of those "dudes."

Neal can stick it where the sun doesnt shine. He was as much or more of an A#% when he left the field his last game than Dillon. Yet, he gets a free ride by most in the media as being a good guy and a great team player.

I for one am glad he is not a Bengal anymore.

I'm a long time Bengal fan that moved to Cleveland last year for work. I read the posts a lot, but this is the first time I have ever written anything. I finally wanted to chime in on one of these debates.

I'll give you one name. Lorenzo Neal. One of my buddies from UC was a long time friend of Brandon Lebeau, son of Dick Lebeau. Brandon used to do the filming of games and practices for the Bengals when his dad was coach, and was naturally pretty good friends with a lot of the players. My buddies and I went out to the Silverton Cafe one Thursday night a few years ago, and Brandon was supposed to bring Takeo Spikes and Lorenzo Neal with him that night. Takeo bailed after dinner and didn't show up at the bar, but Lorenzo came and stayed out until closing time, and had to be driven home. Completely smashed. Brandon said he was still drunk the next morning at practice, and for as much as he had to drink, and was still drinking hard at 3AM, when practice is at like 6, he would have had to have been. He shouldn't put stuff like that in print because I know personally that he was one of those "dudes."

At least he was smart enough to get a ride home, as compared to our current dimwits.

man that is bulls**t! I can't believe that the f**king coaches had no freaking control over the players. All that time I was supporting the team and watching every damn Sunday. If this is true, that pisses me off extrememly. I blame Mike Brown too, what an ass!

Don't sound too surprised....

Take it as a sad joke from the past....No need to get pissed now!

man that is bulls**t! I can't believe that the f**king coaches had no freaking control over the players. All that time I was supporting the team and watching every damn Sunday. If this is true, that pisses me off extrememly. I blame Mike Brown too, what an ass!

I think a certain amount of that stuff goes on in most sports teams, professional and college. A hard living lifestyle is always part of the deal.

The Lebeau years, as highly as I think of the man, were a situation where the inmates ran the asylum. He is a defensive genius, but really had no control over the team. Great D-cooridnator, terrible head coach. Sort of the Peter Principle at work. Most of the players loved him though because of that "just play for me on Sunday" style, and don't forget, Takeo followed him to Buffalo. Takeo didn't hate the Bengals, he left because he loved playing for Lebeau.

Mike Brown can't really be blamed for this kind of stuff though, he's not in the meetings, and stays out of the day to day stuff. However, you can blame Mikey though for letting the franchise slip into a situation where free agents laughed at this place. I still remember Brandon telling us about the dinner he and his dad just had when they were courting Gus Ferotte as the savior of the franchise. Gus freaking Ferotte. He was the best free agent name they could get at the time. Remember, that was only a few years ago. Think about that statement for a little while and how truly sad it is with where the team is today.