Secondary Tackling

Bengalhead

I'm glad Tory J. got the two picks last week against the Stains but man! I didn't think it was possible to be that bad of a tackler. How many times do we have to watch our secondary lower their heads and blindly throw a shoulder at a ball carrier instead of wrapping him up? The funniest thing to watch last Sunday was when Frye threw 5 yard out to the Browns TE (I think it was Heiden) and two Bengal defenders performed this silly attempt back to back. It almost looked like a weird coreographed dance move or something. The first Bengal ducked his head and just fell over toward the ball carrier who simply stopped for an instant while the defender took himself out of position to make the tackle, THEN Madieu runs up 5 yards later and does the EXACT same thing! If that had been an important play I would have thrown a shoe at the TV.

It looks like this tackling "technique" of not extending your arms would be MORE DIFFICULT to do because they would have to consciously not do it - and this obviously provides worse results becuase 1. lowering your head means you have no idea where the ball carrier will be at the point of impact, 2. it gives runner a split second to juke around you, 3. not wrapping up allows them to simply bounce off of you after absorbing the impact and can then run over you. The d line and linebackers don't have this problem. Even Madieu wiffed on a shoulder throw last week. Is Kevin Coyle not concerned with the corners tackling? He's either not coaching them or they're not listening. :blink:

Did anyone else notice this? Your comments???

I noticed it. My wife said: "Go Down." My comment was "He'll go down when someone makes him."

My guess is that both of those guys were pretty embarrased watching that film on monday. Madieu is usually a great tackler... so don't expect to see that from him much. Tory and Deltha though... well, it seems like it's the way they know how to tackle.

I agree with the principle of taking a runner out at the legs. You see safeties do it to RB's all the time. It is the most efficient way of making a guy go down... especially if the guy outweighs you (which is usually the case for a DB), but if you simply throw yourself at their legs, and they manage to stay on their feet, they will gain more yards.

When possible, you need to at least make an effort to wrap up a guys legs. That way, even if he stays on his feet, he's not going anywhere.

Tory James also displayed his other tackling technique on Sunday. Instead of wrapping up or even going for the legs, he gets real close to the ball carrier, practically gives them a hug, tries to stop all of their forward progress and drag them backwards (it never happens), and then repeatedly try to strip the ball while he prays that someone else will come up and make the tackle.

I've seen his strip work once, but every other time the carrier gets an extra five yards on the play through this process.

Tory James also displayed his other tackling technique on Sunday. Instead of wrapping up or even going for the legs, he gets real close to the ball carrier, practically gives them a hug, tries to stop all of their forward progress and drag them backwards (it never happens), and then repeatedly try to strip the ball while he prays that someone else will come up and make the tackle.

I've seen his strip work once, but every other time the carrier gets an extra five yards on the play through this process.

Yeah, I know the exact play that you're talking about. That was another pitiful example. Why do the coaches not get on them for their horrible tackling? As I said, I don't think that the LBs and D-line have this problem. It's primarily the Corners. I grant you that corners are probably the worst tacklers on a team but the other crazy thing is that wrapping up the tackler is not rocket science! :rolleyes:

I noticed it. My wife said: "Go Down." My comment was "He'll go down when someone makes him."

My guess is that both of those guys were pretty embarrased watching that film on monday. Madieu is usually a great tackler... so don't expect to see that from him much. Tory and Deltha though... well, it seems like it's the way they know how to tackle.

I agree with the principle of taking a runner out at the legs. You see safeties do it to RB's all the time. It is the most efficient way of making a guy go down... especially if the guy outweighs you (which is usually the case for a DB), but if you simply throw yourself at their legs, and they manage to stay on their feet, they will gain more yards.

When possible, you need to at least make an effort to wrap up a guys legs. That way, even if he stays on his feet, he's not going anywhere.

I would think so too. But it's not the first time I've seen them do it. I would think that is a prime example of a FIXABLE/COACHABLE problem. But it keeps happening. My only guess is that the coaches work on it with them but the guys forget the proper technique when they're out there in the heat of battle. As far as I'm concerned, that's no excuse. These are the types of things that can separate wins from losses.

what you said reminds me of holys**ttele from a year ago