Time for a Change

BZBot

I'm going to disagree here. We're on a second coordinator in three years with a, as I'm constantly told, defensive minded head coach. We had blitz happy Frazier and now we're on a hybrid 4-3, 3-4, 20 DB sets. I honestly believe the talent is there. I just don't think we have any leaders on defense. Where's the crazy guys that raises the level of play with the other guys? Oh, that's right, the crazy guy was suspended for the season... hum...

I'm going to disagree here. We're on a second coordinator in three years with a, as I'm constantly told, defensive minded head coach. We had blitz happy Frazier and now we're on a hybrid 4-3, 3-4, 20 DB sets. I honestly believe the talent is there. I just don't think we have any leaders on defense. Where's the crazy guys that raises the level of play with the other guys? Oh, that's right, the crazy guy was suspended for the season... hum...

The second coordinator you refer to has had his system in place for nearly 2 years. With that, improvement should have shown this season but none has surfaced. Last season, when the suspended player you also refer to was playing, the defense was considered weak and soft and finished as the 28th best defense in the league last year. No other playoff team last season had a defense worse then the Bengals.

I will admit, the suspension and injuries have not helped the situation. But the way the defense played in the first half against San Diego (without those players), in direct correlation with the aggressive formation, indicated the defense can play at a high level based on where they line up on the field. So instead of lining up in the standard 4-3, 3-4 or whatever hybrid formation they want to use, the defensive players should be standing on the line of scrimmage, ala da' Bear's, ready to attack when the ball is snapped. It worked against San Diego, it can work against everyone else. If this current coordinator is not willing to change his style, then a change at the position is warranted.