Raiders sign Dillion

kitared

Thursday, April 1, 2004

Updated: April 1, 6:45 PM ET

Expectations will be high in 'Raider Nation'

Associated Press

Oakland, Ca. -- Corey Dillon's locker was offically emptied out when he got the call that he was going to be traded to the Oakland Raiders.

"Al Davis is the owner that every player in the NFL wants to play for," Dillon said at a news conference to announce his arrival in a trade that sent tight end Doug Jolley to Cincinnati and Oakland's 5th round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

The Dillon-for-Jolley deal was finally completed Thursday. It gives Oakland a prime running back for Turners' offense in return for another receiving threat for former Heisman Winner and starting quarterback Carson Palmer.

"This team hasn't had a running back who has come close to him in a long time," coach Norv Turne said when Dillon was introduced in Oakland earlier today.

With the trade of tight end Doug Jolley to the Bengals, it's looking more and more like Al Davis is targeting Kellen Winslow Jr. out of Miami at tight end in the up coming NFL Draft.

When asked of the trade, Bengals' wide receiver Peter Warrick said, "You mention Corey Dillon and how he didn't want to be here," Warrick said. "I know how that can be sometimes when you feel like you just need a change. That's how I felt at Florida State."

Dillon said he initially had mixed feelings about playing for the Raiders because of his Dallas Cowboys family allegiance, but that was offset by the excitement of returning to the area where he grew up.

"I haven't been nervous in a long time," said Dillon, a native of San Jose, Ca. "But for some reason, I'm nervous to come back home."

Dillon and Warren Sapp joined linebacker Dwanye Rudd as new acquisitions for the Raiders.

Oakland also signed defensive tackle Ted Washington and offensive lineman Ron Stone. Free-agent linebacker Ian Gold is also expected to make a visit later next week.

Marcus Washington could also be next to join the 'Raider Nation'. The Indianapolis Colts linebacker has expressed interest in the Raiders as well.

When asked of his possible contributions to the team Dillon responded with, "I have a chance to control what happens in the game," said Dillon, who ran for 1,000+ yards in each of his first six NFL seasons.

"I have the ball, and I'm the only one that knows what I'm going to do with it."

Norv Turner also confirmed what has been obvious all along: Dillon, fed up after five chaotic years in Cincinnati, didn't really want to play for the Bengals anymore.

Dillon also threatened to not attend training camp if he were not traded

"There was a history there," Turner said. "It became obvious that it was going to be extremely tough for them to do, and it was extremely obvious that he wasn't going to camp. ... I think he pretty well made up his mind that it was going to be hard for him to go back there."

BY the way APRIL FOOLS!!

Not sure about that. Lewis stated that the Bengals are ready to accept Dillon back and all of the players he "dissed" said they'd forgive him. I really don't think we'll just cut him. We haven't even locked up Rudi Johnson yet; I wonder if that's because having Dillon as the feature back for a few more years is an option.

Yes, I know most of you hate him bad, as do I; but I believe Dillon coming back is still on the table.

Not sure about that. Lewis stated that the Bengals are ready to accept Dillon back and all of the players he "dissed" said they'd forgive him. I really don't think we'll just cut him. We haven't even locked up Rudi Johnson yet; I wonder if that's because having Dillon as the feature back for a few more years is an option.

Yes, I know most of you hate him bad, as do I; but I believe Dillon coming back is still on the table.

I'm beginning to believe you might be right :(

What would happen if dillon refused to go to camp?

Thursday, April 1, 2004

Updated: April 1, 6:45 PM ET

Expectations will be high in 'Raider Nation'

Associated Press

Oakland, Ca. -- Corey Dillon's locker was offically emptied out when he got the call that he was going to be traded to the Oakland Raiders.

"Al Davis is the owner that every player in the NFL wants to play for," Dillon said at a news conference to announce his arrival in a trade that sent tight end Doug Jolley to Cincinnati and Oakland's 5th round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

The Dillon-for-Jolley deal was finally completed Thursday. It gives Oakland a prime running back for Turners' offense in return for another receiving threat for former Heisman Winner and starting quarterback Carson Palmer.

"This team hasn't had a running back who has come close to him in a long time," coach Norv Turne said when Dillon was introduced in Oakland earlier today.

With the trade of tight end Doug Jolley to the Bengals, it's looking more and more like Al Davis is targeting Kellen Winslow Jr. out of Miami at tight end in the up coming NFL Draft.

When asked of the trade, Bengals' wide receiver Peter Warrick said, "You mention Corey Dillon and how he didn't want to be here," Warrick said. "I know how that can be sometimes when you feel like you just need a change. That's how I felt at Florida State."

Dillon said he initially had mixed feelings about playing for the Raiders because of his Dallas Cowboys family allegiance, but that was offset by the excitement of returning to the area where he grew up.

"I haven't been nervous in a long time," said Dillon, a native of San Jose, Ca. "But for some reason, I'm nervous to come back home."

Dillon and Warren Sapp joined linebacker Dwanye Rudd as new acquisitions for the Raiders.

Oakland also signed defensive tackle Ted Washington and offensive lineman Ron Stone. Free-agent linebacker Ian Gold is also expected to make a visit later next week.

Marcus Washington could also be next to join the 'Raider Nation'. The Indianapolis Colts linebacker has expressed interest in the Raiders as well.

When asked of his possible contributions to the team Dillon responded with, "I have a chance to control what happens in the game," said Dillon, who ran for 1,000+ yards in each of his first six NFL seasons.

"I have the ball, and I'm the only one that knows what I'm going to do with it."

Norv Turner also confirmed what has been obvious all along: Dillon, fed up after five chaotic years in Cincinnati, didn't really want to play for the Bengals anymore.

Dillon also threatened to not attend training camp if he were not traded

"There was a history there," Turner said. "It became obvious that it was going to be extremely tough for them to do, and it was extremely obvious that he wasn't going to camp. ... I think he pretty well made up his mind that it was going to be hard for him to go back there."

BY the way APRIL FOOLS!!

You did your homewoirk....

believable post...

but you and I both know that you wish it wasnt a April Fool's joke....

Tell Al Davis to stop being a !@#$% and give us the picks, we're not gonna give him away.....

What would happen Richmond Mat, is that Dillon would forgoe- his salary.

The payments of most yearly salaries start at the mandatory mini-camps. - So if Dillon misses them, he loses money.

And so on all the way up till training camp, where he can be fined the daily average of his salary for each day he misses.Everyday he doesn't show, is money that stays in Mike Browns' pocket.

Either way, not being able to trade him either before the draft or after, means that he'll most likely be a Bengal come '04. Because MB already stated that he's not giving up any more salaries to guys that don't play here.